The National - Trouble Will Find Me

yep.

i'm at about a dozen listens and now i absolutely love it :)

my best take on the lyrics:

When I think of you in the city,The sight of you among the sites.I get this sudden sinking feeling,Of a man about to fly.Never kept me up before,Now I've been awake for days.I can't fight it anymore,I'm going through an awkward phase.I am secretly in love with,Everyone that I grew up with.Do my crying underwater,I can't get down any farther.All my drowning friends can see,Now there is no running from it.It's become the crux of me,I wish that I could rise above it.But I stay down,With my demons.But I stay down,With my demonsPassing buzzards in the sky,Alligators in the sewers.I don't even wonder why,Hide among the under views.Huddle with them all night long,The worried talk with god goes on.I sincerely tried to love her,Wish that I could rise above her.But I stay down,With my demons.I stay down,With my demonsI stay down,With my demons.I stay down,With my demonsI stay down,With my demonsBut I stay down,With my demonsCannot stay here I can't sleep,on the floor.Drink the blood and hang the palms,On the door.Do not think I'm going places anymore,Wanna see the sun come above New York.Oh, everyday I start so great,Then the sunlight dims.Less I've learned,The more I see the pythons and the limbs.Do not know what's wrong with me,Sours in the cut.When I walk into a room,I do not light it up.Fuck.So I stay down,With my demonsI stay down,With my demonsI stay down,With my demonsI stay down,With my demons

It's funny how the song kind of sinks in and just clicks...a lot like other songs with this band.  I was happy with it upon first listen but suspected it was probably one of the plateaus of an album I anticipate having a lot of peaks (based on live versions of a few songs).  So that's definitely a good sign.   And Matt is one of the best lyricists around.   Not many people care about lyrics anymore, but his lyrics often enhance a song, rather than just blend in.  There's always a cool turn of phrase but not for being cool's sake. I find there's emotional depth to them.

'Don't Swallow The Cap'

Dawn light breaks behind the houses

I don't see what's strange about this.

Tiny bubbles hang above me.

It's a sign that someone loves me.

I can hardly stand upright

Hit my head up on the light

I have faith but don't believe you

This love ain't enough to leave you.

Everything I love is on the table.

Everything I love is out to sea.

I have only two emotions,

Careful fear and dead devotion.

I can't get the balance right.

Throw my marbles in the fight.

I see all the ones I wept for

All the things I had it in for

I won't cry until I hear

Cuz I was not supposed to be here.

Everything I love is on the table.

Everything I love is out to sea.

I'm not alone,

I'll never be.

Into the bone,

I'll never grieve.

I'm tired, I'm freezing, i'm dumb

When it gets so late I forget everyone.

I need somewhere to stay.

Don't think anybody I know is awake.

Calm down it's alright,

Keep my arms the rest of the night.

When they ask what do i see,

I see a bright white beautiful heaven hangin' over me.

I'm not alone,

I'll never be.

Into the bone,

I'll never grieve.

And if you want, (too seriously)

To see me cry. (don't swallow the cap)

Play 'Let It Be' (pat yourself on the back)

Or 'Nevermind'. (too seriously)

There's a time to leave, there's a time to think about

What I wanna say to the girls at the door.

I need somewhere to be

But i can't get around the river in front of me.

Come down it's alright,

Lead my arms the rest of the night.

When they ask what do i see,

I see a bright white beautiful heaven hangin' over me.

I'm not alone, (too seriously)

I'll never be. (don't swallow the cap)

Into the bones, (pat yourself on the back)

I'll never grieve (too seriously)

And if you want, (too seriously)

To see me cry, (don't swallow the cap)

Play 'Let It Be' (pat yourself on the back)

Or 'Nevermind'. (too seriously)

• 1 month later...

I think most Wilco fans are probably surprised that a band can continue to make great albums after 12 years.

:headbonk

I am enjoying this album a lot.  agree these songs will sound nice this fall at the Ryman.

So far, Demons is the standout.

I really liked the direction High Violet was going, so I was hoping this to be a bit more, well, dynamic.  Trouble sounds so even...

I'll often play a new album back to back to back, kind of always on, and wait for a song or two to really stand out. Trouble is starting again before it's caught my attention.

The songs I've sat down and bored into reveal tremendous lyrics, bringing them to life

This is just a few days with the album. It'll be a grower I'm sure.

I'll often play a new album back to back to back, kind of always on, and wait for a song or two to really stand out. Trouble is starting again before it's caught my attention.

I do the same thing, and had the same reaction to Trouble at first.  But, like everything by these guys, the tracks have slowly started to emerge.  The National have a strange affinity for subverting their own melodies, relying on subtle traces that gradually rise to the fore.  I'm not sure I will like Trouble as much as the previous three records--so far, it seems unlikely--but it's still one of my favorite albums of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I have front row center seats for the show at Merriweather tomorrow night. I've had tickets to see them twice in the last few years, and both times something happened at the last minute that I couldn't go, so I couldn't be more excited to finally get to see them. The new album hasn't left my car stereo since it came out. It seems like I pick up on new things every time I listen. 

A friend and I have front row center seats for the show at Merriweather tomorrow night. I've had tickets to see them twice in the last few years, and both times something happened at the last minute that I couldn't go, so I couldn't be more excited to finally get to see them. The new album hasn't left my car stereo since it came out. It seems like I pick up on new things every time I listen. 

Would love to hear what you think of the show.  I have tickets for them later in the fall.  Haven't seen them before.  Very curious to hear what kind of crowd they have...

The new record is good, also a bit of a grower for me.  Seemed rather samey to me on the first couple listens. 

It was less typical for me in that it took a lot longer to grow than their others had.  But, like all their albums, I came around to love it.

Exactly.

The band announced a Sept show that I wasn't super excited about due to the venue. But after listening to the record on repeat for a few days I decided there's no way I could miss that show, so now I'm going!

Exactly.

The band announced a Sept show that I wasn't super excited about due to the venue. But after listening to the record on repeat for a few days I decided there's no way I could miss that show, so now I'm going!

I've seen them twice since the new album came out, and the shows have been great. Graceless and I Need My Girl are highlights... Aside from TWFM tracks, they are mostly playing High Violet songs. Predictable setlist, enjoyable nonetheless.

As expected, TWFM has grown on me, and I absolutely adore it.

• 6 months later...