I have been to many many shows in my 30+ years of going to concerts and was thinking about the best opening songs I ever saw (or maybe saw on a concert film).

Here a few that stick out.

1.  Elton - Funeral/Loves Lies Bleeding

2.  Neil - Hey Hey My My

3.  Zep - Rock and Roll (never saw except on The Song Remains the Same Movie)

I will add to list as the memories come back..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been partial to the Allman's "Don't Want You No More > Ain't My Cross To Bear".

Okay, so these are CONCERT-openers, not album-openers!

Had to get that straight. Now I'll have to think on that for a while.

I DO remember my jaw hitting the floor as soon as Uncle Tupelo played their first song, the first time.

But, since it was my first time hearing them, I don't remember which song it actually was. (I kinda remember it being either "Graveyard Shift" or "Whiskey Bottle" but, as I said, it was my first time seeing them, so I can't be sure.)

Ooh, and I saw Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham opening for Nick Lowe, they opened the set with

"Cry Like a Baby"

A great way to start.

off topic, but i read the funniest thing about Nick Lowe a few days ago...apparently after Bowie put out _Low_, Nick decided to put out a record:

R-1210491-1361368785-2408.jpeg

Yup.

Cheeky.

this is the show I turned my ex into a wilco fan
Wilco
2006-03-05
Memorial Hall - UNC Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

1. At My Window Sad And Lonely
2. Hell Is Chrome
3. Muzzle Of Bees
4. In A Future Age
5. The Good Part
6. Walken
7. Forget The Flowers
8. At Least That's What You Said
9. Jesus, Etc.
10. Handshake Drugs
11. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
12. Hummingbird
13. I'm The Man Who Loves You (started & stopped)
14. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
15. I'm The Man Who Loves You
16. A Shot In The Arm

Set 2:
17. She's A Jar
18. Say You Miss Me
19. War On War
20. Candyfloss

Set 3:
21. The Thanks I Get
22. Airline To Heaven
23. The Late Greats

check out that beginning

Wilco - Via Chicago (as they so often did in 1999 when I first saw them)

Pearl Jam - Release / Long Road / Oceans

Soul Asylum - Somebody to Shove

Live Led Zep always leaves me cold. I've never been able to sit through an entire screening of The Song Remains the Same.

I'll take The Who any day over LZ.

You can have a legit arguement with that but we are just talking about opening songs.  IMO the best opening who song would be Substitute which is what they open with most of the time (not including specialty shows).

The Song Remains the Same is below sub-par live Zep.

If you want to hear something that would convince you why they were a live juggernaut, you should listen to How the West Was Won.

Now THAT is a live set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7dSnWejbtE

Saw them once during their 80-81 revival. Without doubt the loudest concert i've attended and bloody marvellous. the Clash launching themselves towards the mics for I Fought The Law a close second.

Suppose Folsom Prison Blues at the famous show there must be one of the most atmospheric openers. The same from San Quentin has a better video available though. Love those perfect simple guitar solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Ts4M3irWM

You can have a legit arguement with that but we are just talking about opening songs.  IMO the best opening who song would be Substitute which is what they open with most of the time (not including specialty shows).

That performance of Rock and Roll did nothing for me. I love the band and listened to them incessantly as a teenager in the 70s and 80s, but their live stuff has always struck me as lesser than their recorded output. The exact opposite is true for The Who. ( I think I Can't Explain might be a more popular opener than Substitute.)

If you want to hear something that would convince you why they were a live juggernaut, you should listen to How the West Was Won.

Better for sure, but I think Plant and Page just rub me the wrong way when I see them onstage. Not sure why that is, but I've felt that way for more than 30 years. Old dog, set in my ways, etc. ;)

I believe I caught a " Second That Emotion" Jerry Band opener in Philly in the early 90's that caughtme pleasantly by surprise.

And a Help/Slip/Franklins around the same time at Deer Creek.

And my wilco live cherry was popped by Misunderstood at the Tower Theater.

all gave me chills.

Oh man, so many great ones...hard to even choose the best. Some in clubs, some in big ol' barns...

09/23/82 - Grateful Dead - Alabama > Greatest Story - Got the place jumpin'...

07/20/84 - Roger Waters - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - People were going nuts all through this.

04/28/93 - Warren Zevon - Splendid Isolation - Damn, I miss Warren. Seeing him come out and open with this on acoustic in a little club like Toad's Place was unforgettable.

09/27/94 - Bruce Cockburn - Tokyo - "Grey suited business men/Pissing against a wall/Cut to crumbling guard rail/Slow motion car fall!"

11/03/02 - Wilco - IATTTBYH - The "disposable Dixie cup drinker" part got the crowd going. My all-time favorite Wilco show.

04/03/10 - Paul McCartney - Venus & Mars/Rock Show - The word epic is overused a lot these days, but this stadium show was exactly that.

Good calls on the Help>Slip>Frank and Back In The Saddle. I saw both of those and it was a great way to get things rolling.