LouieB surpasses Tweedy's Gurl - for old timers only.

This won't mean much to folks who got here in the last five years or so, but as of this post I have finally posted more times then my daughter Rosie, the former Tweedy's Gurl.  This is fairly remarkable in that she has not been on this site for nearly eight years.  Rosie got me on here back when she was a mere high school student.  Apparently she spent her teen years furiously posting on here so that she was able to amass over 15,000 posts in just a few years before dropping off this site when she went to college and figured she could waste her time doing something else.  I have posted up a whole lot of thoughtful and thoughtless posts over the years, but it has taken me well over a decade to log in as many posts as she did in about four years.  (Those RTT thread posts can really add up.)

Many of our old VC friends have also dropped off this board, having lost interest in either Wilco or VC or just moved on in their lives. I have no idea why I am still here, but I suppose it is a hard habit to break.  

This place used to be a whole lot more fun; Wilco was a young band with a smaller following, but their success has been remarkable and it is still fun to see them.  All things must pass I suppose and somehow I managed to pass by Rosie here. I am sure she thinks I am crazy for staying here, but I won't leave I don't think.  Not yet anyway.

LouieB  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of our old VC friends have also dropped off this board, having lost interest in either Wilco or VC or just moved on in their lives. I have no idea why I am still here, but I suppose it is a hard habit to break

So very true. I'm right there with you, brutha.

The circle remains unbroken.

This made me laugh out loud, Lou.  In terms of posting rate, Tweedy's Gurl was in a Camaro while the rest of us were on skateboards.  I miss those old days, but I'm very happy that I've remained in contact with both of you over the years.

it's funny how the turnover's gone...even though i was a fan back in the day, i didn't find this board/join until a few years ago. i was browsing the members page by post count recently and tons of high total posters were completely foreign to me.

The old timers were maniacs to be sure.  Back in the old days we had VC meet ups of different sorts.  It was a heady time.  Venues were smaller and people were closer.  The number of people I met through this board was astounding, folks from all over the world actually. 

LouieB

The old timers were maniacs to be sure.  Back in the old days we had VC meet ups of different sorts.  It was a heady time.  Venues were smaller and people were closer.  The number of people I met through this board was astounding, folks from all over the world actually. 

LouieB

that's kinda how it was w/ me and the Guided By Voices mailing list, back in the mid 90s...made friends from NYC, California and London, all of whom I still keep in touch with.

I like it quiet.

Sorry to hear about the bird, by the way.

Not being Rosie's friend on Facebook I didn't know she posted up about that.  Another end of an era to be sure.

LouieB

This is kind of hilarious to me, as in all these years I have only posted about 3,000 times. Somehow I get more active on here as time goes by.

Never got to know your daughter as I've gotten to know you, but I kinda miss her presence on here. Love that youthful enthusiasm, I guess.

Not being Rosie's friend on Facebook I didn't know she posted up about that.  Another end of an era to be sure.

LouieB

She's all grown up. That makes me feel old.

She's all grown up. That makes me feel old.

Not quite all grown up.  She is not yet gainfully employed. When that happens we can all feel really old (and maybe I can retire.)

LoueiB

Congrats LouieB.

I remember Rosie (and WildMercurySound her best UK buddy) and I also remember when there was almost a kind of race to get to 1000 posts and then they got worried that their count might be reset to zero once they got through that threshold like a mileometer on a car. Funny.

There was a whole lot more creativity and fun craziness (but also at times nastiness) in those days. As well as falling out of love with Wilco etc., I think that people have moved on to Facebook, Twitter and blogging etc to express themselves more individually and with more immediacy. They thus feel less need to be creative here.  There were some great, great posts that were like blog entries in themselves - full gig write-ups with photos etc. I did some myself. Though I don't do social media, I have less time to input here (and once a certain critical mass is lost you feel less inclined to make significant contributions anyway), and there was a conscious decision several years ago when I was spending too much time here. Still, it's good to keep it going, and I have met some very nice people via the board. Need to keep the Brit (and specifically Welsh) end up too.

Edit: that should have been 10,000 posts ...

Congrats LouieB.

I remember Rosie (and WildMercurySound her best UK buddy) and I also remember when there was almost a kind of race to get to 1000 posts and then they got worried that their count might be reset to zero once they got through that threshold like a mileometer on a car. Funny.

There was a whole lot more creativity and fun craziness (but also at times nastiness) in those days. As well as falling out of love with Wilco etc., people have moved on to Facebook, Twitter and blogging etc to express themselves more individually and with more immediacy. They thus feel less need to be creative here.  There were some great great posts that were like blog entries in themselves - full gig write-ups with photos etc. I did some myself. Though I don't do social media, I have less time to input here (and once a certain critical mass is lost you feel less inclined to make significant contributions anyway), and there was a conscious decision several years ago when I was spending too much time here. Still, it's good to keep it going, and I have met some very nice people via the board. Need to keep the Brit (and specifically Welsh) end up too.

I miss WildMercurySound a lot, too.  One of my favorite VC'ers back in the day.

i was browsing the members page by post count recently and tons of high total posters were completely foreign to me.

I just took a look, too, and you're right--after all this time, the top of that list is still dominated by old-timers.  Huh.

There was also the time the board crashed and we all lost our posts and started over from scratch.  Good times.

LouieB

I remember that, even though I wasn't a member then.  I lurked for a long time before actually joining, post-crash.  So I guess I've been frequenting this place for 10 years or more.

There was also the time the board crashed and we all lost our posts and started over from scratch.  Good times.

LouieB

Hi Lou. This is a hilarious thread. I remember when the board crashed in 2003. None of us knew what to do. I think Dashley created a temp backup forum for a few days? And I remember the day when VC surpassed 100 members, then 1,000 members. Now it's up to 16,000+ and I'm an "old timer" because I understand the title of this thread. At least I'll never be as old as you ;)

Say hi to Rosie!

The ironic thing about this thread is that yesterday was also the 10 year anniversary of Rosie's first Wilco show (Milwaukee Summerfest) when we met the band.  She reminded me of that. I certainly don't keep track of such things.

LouieB

The ironic thing about this thread is that yesterday was also the 10 year anniversary of Rosie's first Wilco show (Milwaukee Summerfest) when we met the band.  She reminded me of that. I certainly don't keep track of such things.

LouieB

was that the one where they played a random 'when you wake up feeling old'?

LouieB

That 2003 Summerfest show was my first Wilco concert, too.  A few years later Wilco played Summerfest again (2006?), and at that one both you and Rosie met me, which was, I assume, nearly as awesome as meeting the band.