Ryan Adams "Hates Country Music"

I'm sure this has been touched on in the Adams thread...not showcasing the article because its pretty old and everyone has probably already seen it, but a while back Ryan claims he cannot stand country music...I'm calling bullshit. I just was interested in what you folks have to say. I think it was one of those attention things rockstars often do. Its ironic, its unexpected...Dylan used to pull that stuff as well in the 60's when he'd toy with the reporters.

I'm sure this has been touched on in the Adams thread...not showcasing the article because its pretty old and everyone has probably already seen it, but a while back Ryan claims he cannot stand country music...I'm calling bullshit. I just was interested in what you folks have to say. I think it was one of those attention things rockstars often do. Its ironic, its unexpected...Dylan used to pull that stuff as well in the 60's when he'd toy with the reporters.

Kinda wished you had showcased the article cause I don't remember it.

But as for hating country music, what is the context? Is it the current mainstream pop country? Is it old bluegrass? Country music is such a vague term it is essentially meaningless.

I understand the sentiment, I think (I have not read article, so I am speaking in generalities). I very much dislike what currently is mainstream country music (e.g., Toby Keith, Brad Paisley, etc.). But I love country music that is more in the traditional sense. Not just older acts like Gram Parsons, Willie Nelson and Emmy Lou Harris, but also new acts that are in that vein (e.g., Old Crowe Medicine Show, Gillian Welch, Justin Townes Earle, etc.).

Speaking of JTE, I was at one of his shows recently and he went off on a rant about how no one makes country music anymore. At least not how he defines it. So I would suggest that "hating country music" is a pervasive opinion among knowledgeable people.

To take the quote from DRA out of context does a disservice to the discussion.

If he means the 'Country Music' of Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and the other Nashville Pop scenesters, I have to ask: What is the problem?

Its just hard to distinguish whether Adams is talking about modern, mainstream country which is essentially pop, or real country music of our past time that more or less shaped his entire career haha.

you sure about that? ryan name drops a whole bunch of his favorite artists and theyre very rarely country guys, modern or otherwise.

its really not that weird to me that the music he makes might not be the music he likes

you sure about that? ryan name drops a whole bunch of his favorite artists and theyre very rarely country guys, modern or otherwise.

its really not that weird to me that the music he makes might not be the music he likes

I mean I obviously know he is a huge metal fan. As well as punk, 80's underground scene....tons of stuff. As a musician myself, I just couldn't imagine making music that draws from a genre I dislike. or in his words "hate". many others will agree with me on that. I'm a big Minor Threat fan as is Adams, but I'm not in a hardcore punk band. But I'm also a big Neil Young fan, which is why I play the kind of music I do. Because I like it. I'm not a Motley Crue fan..which is why I don't play glam metal. Because I don't like it. This thread wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. Just the simple observation that in that context, he sorta sounds like he is saying he hates all country music in general, always has, and then you go through his records and hear A Kiss Before I Go.

Speaking of JTE, I was at one of his shows recently and he went off on a rant about how no one makes country music anymore. At least not how he defines it. So I would suggest that "hating country music" is a pervasive opinion among knowledgeable people.

Yeah he goes off on that rant quite often (he did both the times I saw him).  He is right, but there are still a few exceptions out there, Daniel Romano is one.  

Ryan Adams' guitar at one point was the Buck Owens look-a-like model... so I think that fact along with what others said above means that he is probably referring to the new stuff.

Love JTE but he must have not heard Daniel Romano before...He is making country music.

Let's make a list of things Ryan Adams does like.  I'll bet that list is shorter.

You know what Ryan prolly doesn't care about.  What people on the Wilco message board think about what he thinks about country music.