Favorite Beatle Moments

Nice thread. Some contributions (but there are so many many more ...):-

- the bubbling bass as it enters on Paperback Writer

- "Tuesday afternoon is neverending-kuck". No idea if that's just comical emphasis of a bit of Scouse pronunciation or the remains  of something cut/edited that followed

- the piercing single note guitar behind the "show me round your sloping mountains" verse of Back in the USSR

- the "wheeeee" at about 3:03 on Don't Let Me Down

- "and curse Sir Walter Raleigh - he was such a stupid git" and the gibberish at the end of I'm So Tired

- Paul and John singoing over each other at the end of I've Got a Feeling

- Rita!

- absolutely all 2:40 of Baby It's You - maybe because the voices were getting raw and ragged towards the end of that famous one day session

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it Git or Get?

It is 'git' but pronounced 'get' in nasal Scouse.

I go for the Scouse Beatle bits since a thick Cardiff accent is very similar (Cardiff and Liverpool both big ports back in the day at opposite ends of the Welsh/English border with a Welsh/Irish/English mix) so I can do them quite well (and almost sing in harmony for the most nasal of their offerings).

It's exactly the same as 'Randy Scouse Git' - the alterna-title for that Monkees song.

Now breaking into 'Dirty Maggie Mae ...'

I've been watching the Anthology Series (slowly but surely) the past few months - I've been watching a chapter every 2-3 weeks. I'm in the middle of chapter 3, and even though i know the story very well, I find myself cheering for them to find success, and it's very exciting for me to see them react to the screaming girls for the first few times, especially when they go to America for the first time.

Also that strange unison falsetto harmony "is there anything I can dooooo" in Tell me Why.  Always struck me as something only the Beatles would have been willing to do in a song like that.

I've been watching the Anthology Series (slowly but surely) the past few months - I've been watching a chapter every 2-3 weeks. I'm in the middle of chapter 3, and even though i know the story very well, I find myself cheering for them to find success, and it's very exciting for me to see them react to the screaming girls for the first few times, especially when they go to America for the first time.

I still (sort of) recall taping that when it was on TV. I still have the VHS tapes. And the TV Guide for that week. It was a very big deal at the time (November 1995). 

I think the first one of those I got for Christmas that year. It is the only one of the three that I have where the cd case is in a box. I recall you could buy those anywhere back then. Even super markets where selling them. It seems pretty odd now - a super market selling cds.

George introducing Yesterday live on that disc is great too. "So for Paul McCartney of Liverpool - opportunity knocks!" addressing the uneasiness surrounding Paul taking center stage (and almost getting a solo artist credit) for what would obviously be a hugely successful song.

Speaking of the anthology cds - I have two moments, er rather songs from those:

Cry For Shadow - I suppose some work was done on the track, but the sound of that song is great.

Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby - The sound of George's guitar is pretty darn good.

"So for Paul McCartney of Liverpool - opportunity knocks!" .

Just in case you don't know, this was a parody of Hughie Green, the presenter of Opportunity Knocks - a sort of foreunner of Britain/US's Got Talent. The winner of a range of variety acts (as initially indocated by an audience 'clapometer' but finally by viewers postcards) came back the next week to face a new set of contenders until defeated. One winner with a Beatles connection was Mary Hopkin. It did generate several lasting stars.

The entire drum sequence on The End

That is the only drum solo I can tolerate.

So this thread inspired me to dial up some Beatles on the iPod last night on my way home. Here are a few more Abbey Road moments:

The wind chime/church bell sound when Paul sings, "Oh that magic feeling" in You Never Give Me Your Money. Like the sound is demonstrating that magic feeling, and thereby creating a magic feeling in the listener. Genius.

"Keeps a ten bob note up his nose" in Mean Mr. Mustard. That Lennon, what a card.

The first few chords of Polythene Pam.

Lennon going, "Look out," before the segue into She Came In Through the Bathroom Window. And then the guitar work on that song (right after the word "window").

Really, that medley is one of the ultimate Beatle high water marks for me. Brilliant, jarring, subversive, funny, psychedelic, rocking...the whole thing is just incredible.

I worked in the stockroom for a museum gift shop back in the mid 90s, and one day I was alone and listening to Abbey Road and stocking the shelves. One of the sales reps came in, a woman in her 50s or 60s (back then it was the same to me) who I didn't really know, and we went about our business quietly, as usual. When the album ended, she walked over to me shaking her head, smiling. We exchanged some words about what an amazing piece of work the medley is, and then we went back to work again. It was pretty cool.