Favorite Beatle Moments

Man, you are good at this thread.

I'm a big freaking Beatlemaniac.

To my ears it sounds very much like John's voice and nothing at all like Paul's.

I think so too.

I'll have to listen again. I hear Paul mostly because of what I read in the book -- someone who was present during recording -- but people's memories can be fuzzy after all these years. And the intake of substances.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Beatles moments:

February 9, 1964 and February 16, 1964, February 23, 1964 and September 12, 1965.  The Ed Sullivan Show performances.

I was 6 years old for the 1964 performances, but already a music fan and Beatles fan.  I still remember my parents waking me up to bring me downstairs to the den to watch with the whole family, and being absolutely mesmerized.  Lifelong Beatles fan.

http://www.edsullivan.com/artists/the-beatles

The shift from 4/4 time to 3/4 time for the title phrase, alone in "Strawberry Fields Forever".

And, I cannot believe that nobody yet has mentioned the opening chord in "Hard Day's Night"!

Paul's bass in the intro for Dear Prudence.

The transition from the end of Paul's middle part of A Day in the Life to John's last verses. Particularly the end at 3:16-3:19.

The mellotron on Strawberry Fields.

The backwards guitar solo on I'm Only Sleeping (listen to a re-created solo before the tape was run backwards here: http://www.kristiangoddard.net/Blog/Beatles_Playground.htm).

A Hard Day's Night is full of great moments. John's voice and guitar intro to "If I Fell." The chord progression is just gorgeous. The switch from minor key to major in "Things We Said Today," maybe one of the best overlooked Beatles songs. Ringo's snappy drum fill in "You Can't Do That" right after John sings "cuz I told you before..."

Another great A Hard Day's Night moment is when John sings "I love you so" on I'll Be Back.

The "one sweet dream" part of You Never Give Me Your Money is perfect as is the "out of college, money spent." That song showcases everything I love about McCartney.

purchased!

Awesome, it's one of my favorite shirts

Best thread ever, a few that come to mind:

John's harmonies during the verses on Hey Jude

Paul's bass behind the guitar solo in Something

George's use of a volume pedal in I need you - I like how it's not right on the beat.

Speaking on Anthology, I love the total breakdown of pot giggles Paul and John get during a take of "And Your Bird Can Sing." It's so carefree and fun. Being in the studio was still fresh and exciting, and they didn't all hate being in the same room yet. Paul liked to curse a lot, apparently. I love his "oh, shit" during the take of "A Day in the Life" on Anthology. Right at 3:19.

I like some of those anthology outtakes better just for that reason... also the solo John piano demo thing of Strawberry Fields

Yep, 2:57. Listen closely. It's right after "Remember, to let her under your skin." There's the "woah," and then then Paul cursing comes in right as they sing the "then you begin..." line. According to Geoff Emerick's book, it's Paul. He hit a bad note on the piano and muttered it into the mic. Lots of great tidbits in that book.

I never noticed that- listening now. 

The "one sweet dream" part of You Never Give Me Your Money is perfect as is the "out of college, money spent." That song showcases everything I love about McCartney.

I love that part. I saw a tribute band this past weekend that played the entire Abbey Road record, and this part was really fun to hear live. 

The MOOG solo in Maxwell's Silver Hammer always blew my mind as a kid... I had no idea what was making that noise but I liked it 

How about the last note of A Day in the Life?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Day_in_the_Life

Lennon, McCartney, Starr, and Evans shared three different pianos, with Martin on the harmonium, and all played an E-major chord simultaneously. The final chord was made to ring out for over forty seconds by increasing the recording sound level as the vibration faded out. Towards the end of the chord the recording level was so high that listeners can hear the sounds of the studio, including rustling papers and a squeaking chair.

I could swear I hear someone going, "Sh!" after the papers rustling. Always loved that.

The squeaky chair is Ringo's shoe. Apparently he couldn't stand still and Macca was about to kill him. Lennon gave Harrison shit about missing THE chord as Harrison walked into the studio right after they finished.

Harrison: "what's everyone doing?"

Lennon: "oh, nothing, George, just finishing the most important recording for the album."