Favorite Beatle Moments

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When George changes "here" to "clear" in the last verse of Here Comes The Sun. Somehow it really crystalizes the point of the whole song for me, every time.

My wife's favorite is George. I asked her what her favorite George song was. She answered "Little Darling!" I knew what song she meant right away. 

My favorite Beatle moment is when John comes in with the "Life is very Short" part of "We Can Work it Out."  It is the most perfect example of how Paul and John combined to create musical masterpieces.  Paul's ridiculously optimistic, poppy, happy tune is brought crashing down to earth by the ever-cynical, realistic, truth-telling John both lyrically and musically.  Musical bliss.

There should be no quick end to this thread!

I love when Paul comes in with "she loves you yeah yeah yeah" at the end of All You Need is Love.

I do too. I love anytime they cross reference a song. 

"You've all heard ob-la-di-bla-da.." or all the stuff going on in Glass Onion...

I also love all the Paul is Dead stuff.

I love John and George's additions of "arm" and "foot" after Paul sings the line "Desmond lets the children lend a hand" in "Ob La Di Ob La Da." Very subtle, but you can hear it if you listen closely.

I love that they decided to leave in Paul's mumbling "f*cking hell" in "Hey Jude."

I love Paul snickering in "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" when he sings "writing 50 times..."

Mentioned in another thread: I love Lennon's manic sax playing in the coda of Helter Skelter. 

Time?

It's right around 2:57 or so. There's disagreement whether it's Paul or John. First a "Woah!" then a "fucking hell" a couple seconds later. One engineer says it's John - that the headphones he's wearing came on too loud, causing the "woah!" then the "fucking hell" a moment later. John said it was Paul, after playing a bad note on the piano. John's version can't be possible, because Paul doesn't hit bad notes!

Yep, 2:57. Listen closely. It's right after "Remember, to let her under your skin." There's the "woah," and then then Paul cursing comes in right as they sing the "then you begin..." line. According to Geoff Emerick's book, it's Paul. He hit a bad note on the piano and muttered it into the mic. Lots of great tidbits in that book.

I love all the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the mono and stereo mixes. That's another thread itself.

I love the way the rooster crow at the end of "Good Morning Good Morning" seamlessly turns into a bent guitar note to start the Sgt. Pepper reprise.

I love the finger snaps going on with the background vocals in "Here, There and Everywhere." It only happens during one section of the song, but it's a brilliant addition to the tune.

I love the very end of "And Your Bird Can Sing" when Paul plays those last couple of diddles on the bass.

I love the yawn in "I'm Only Sleeping."

I love the way Ringo's snare drum just POPS in the turnaround in "Tell Me What You See."

I love how there's this (originally) unexpected crowd noise at the beginning of Sgt. Pepper and then that first note just crashes in.

I love the Anthology version of "Across the Universe." The whole thing, not just a moment.

I love the part in "A Day in the Life" when the orchestra spins up to its crescendo and stops. Then the moment when you hear the alarm clock. Then the moment when Paul's vocal kicks in. That whole thing is just filled with so many brilliant moments.

I love the harmonies on "Rain." That should be a song in the Songs You Can Listen to Multiple Times in a Row thread.

Speaking on Anthology, I love the total breakdown of pot giggles Paul and John get during a take of "And Your Bird Can Sing." It's so carefree and fun. Being in the studio was still fresh and exciting, and they didn't all hate being in the same room yet. Paul liked to curse a lot, apparently. I love his "oh, shit" during the take of "A Day in the Life" on Anthology. Right at 3:19.

I love the transition from the end of "Flying" to "Blue Jay Way" on MMT. The fade-out in "Flying" is really weird; the song just seems to stop abruptly and there's all sorts of weird backwards sounds. It's kind of eerie, then goes quiet. Then the organ that opens "Blue Jay Way" quietly comes creeping back in and that ominous melody starts. It's just a brilliant sequencing of tracks.

It's right around 2:57 or so. There's disagreement whether it's Paul or John. First a "Woah!" then a "fucking hell" a couple seconds later. One engineer says it's John - that the headphones he's wearing came on too loud, causing the "woah!" then the "fucking hell" a moment later. John said it was Paul, after playing a bad note on the piano. John's version can't be possible, because Paul doesn't hit bad notes!

To my ears it sounds very much like John's voice and nothing at all like Paul's.