If You Could Have Been Present for the Recording...

Help is a good choice too. It would be interesting to hear them transform it from its original, slow, dirge-like vibe and inject some tempo into it. Dear Prudence would be cool too. Would like to see Macca laying down that delicious bass line and the drums. He played the drums on Back in the USSR too.

Picking a tune from Revolver was tough. I picked Tomorrow Never Knows because it was the first session for Revolver - really set the tone for a new chapter in what they could do in the studio.

1) Day in the Life

2) Revolution 9

3) Abbey Road Medley (maybe cheating here)

4) Helter Skelter

5) Get Back

They played the medley live in the studio a few times, though I believe the final product is pieced together from different takes. The guitar solos in The End all were done together live...over a backing track.

As a musician I'd be looking to be inspired--and steal some ideas--so I'd want to go to the sessions for songs that had interesting production and arrangements going on.

Probably something along the lines of:

Strawberry Fields Forever

I Am the Walrus

A Day in the Life

Tomorrow Never Knows

Paperback Writer

Would have been awfully fun to watch the first audition with George Martin in 1962.  Watching them at 19/20ish would have been fascinating.  As the story goes, Martin was very taken with their wit and charisma, what a blast to watch.

Would have been awfully fun to watch the first audition with George Martin in 1962. Watching them at 19/20ish would have been fascinating. As the story goes, Martin was very taken with their wit and charisma, what a blast to watch.

I agree. So much energy and enthusiasm at the time. That's basically what sold him on The Beatles. He wasn't terribly impressed with their songs.

Charlie:

Thanks SO much for that YouTube!

That was awesome! Just a joy!

You're welcome! Some good stuff in those Abbey Road sessions that never made it to the record. I almost put "Because" on my list, but then I thought, it was just John, George and Paul laying down vocal tracks for hours -- the way they did it is no doubt impressive -- but Ringo must have been bored to tears. 

I Want to Tell You

Love You To

Within Without You

Its All Too Much

For You Blue

Interesting. All George songs, eh?

You're welcome! Some good stuff in those Abbey Road sessions that never made it to the record. I almost put "Because" on my list, but then I thought, it was just John, George and Paul laying down vocal tracks for hours -- the way they did it is no doubt impressive -- but Ringo must have been bored to tears. 

Interesting. All George songs, eh?

If I had the chance to be present it would be interesting to see how John and Paul worked with George. It would be great to see Geoge Martin and George Harrison conduct the others. George's songs were some of their finest gems. John and Paul had to help polish them too.

I could get on board with that, but I'd scratch "Love You To" and "Within You Without You." Just George and a bunch of Indian musicians on those; not much involvement from the rest of the group. Since I already said "Weeps" I'd go with "Taxman," or "Something," which really was the George show. Or if we were going to the early days, "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby."

I could get on board with that, but I'd scratch "Love You To" and "Within You Without You." Just George and a bunch of Indian musicians on those; not much involvement from the rest of the group. Since I already said "Weeps" I'd go with "Taxman," or "Something," which really was the George show. Or if we were going to the early days, "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby."

You are right. Maybe some earlier George when it was just the four in the studio. Don't Bother Me for and early pick and I Need You for a mid era pick.