TWEEDY - 6/22/14, Dallas, TX (Majestic Theatre)

In terms of show dynamics, tonight's set was almost a complete 180 from last night's affair. Jeff's banter with the crowd was very limited, and the focus seemed to be on the music. In fact, Jeff didn't even introduce the band until they were walking off after finishing their main set. In exchange for the lack of crowd interaction, we were rewarded with a few gems, including the debut of a new song called "Hazel" and a full band rendition of "You Are Not Alone" to start the encore. A couple of notes in closing - the Majestic Theatre is a beautiful venue and was well suited for the performance. Also, I'm hoping bböp will be soon be able to join us again, as I'm quickly running out of words....

Here is the complete setlist as played:

Down From Above*

Diamond Light*

Flowering*

Hazel* (first time played)

Summer Noon*

Honey Combed*

Desert Bell*

World Away*

New Moon*

Fake Fur Coat #

High As Hello*

Low Key*

Slow Love*

Nobody Dies Anymore*

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart^

New Madrid^

Someday Some Morning Sometime^

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)^

How To Fight Loneliness^

Passenger Side^

The Ruling Class^

Born Alone^

Please Tell My Brother^

Jesus, etc.^

I'm The Man Who Loves You^

--------------------------------------------------

You Are Not Alone*

Give Back The Key To My Heart [Doug Sahm]*

California Stars*

* — with full TWEEDY band

# — with guitarist Jim Elkington only

^ — Jeff solo acoustic

In terms of show dynamics, tonight's set was almost a complete 180 from last night's affair. Jeff's banter with the crowd was very limited, and the focus seemed to be on the music. In fact, Jeff didn't even introduce the band until they were walking off after finishing their main set. In exchange for the lack of crowd interaction, we were rewarded with a few gems, including the debut of a new song called "Hazel" and a full band rendition of "You Are Not Alone" to start the encore. A couple of notes in closing - the Majestic Theatre is a beautiful venue and was well suited for the performance. Also, I'm hoping bböp will be soon be able to join us again, as I'm quickly running out of words....

Excellent reportage! I'm glad someone was able to pick up the proverbial slack. I think you should do this post-show thing more often (I might finally be able to retire)!

From a setlist perspective, it would seem like Dallas got the "better" show of the ones in TX. Interesting that Jeff chose to debut a new song there, but I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. Seems like the more this band has a chance to play and rehearse together, the more they'll grow as a unit and, by extension, the more material they'll be comfortable playing. (From what I heard, this group only had a handful of rehearsals before the first show in Detroit.)

At any rate, cool that you got a couple of relative nuggets in the solo set tonight. And the full-band You Are Not Alone, of course, must also have been a pleasant surprise.

Good show last night. It's always a treat to get Not For the Season and How to Fight Loneliness.

I had avoided listening to any of the new material until the show and I was somewhat encouraged. I did have a difficult time connecting with much of the early half of the set after "Diamond Light," but "World Away" seemed to kick things into a new gear and the rest of the full-band set sounded great from that point on.

I'll be anxious to hear the new album.

The reviewer thought that Diamond Light and High as Hello were Sky Blue Sky-ish? Gotta disagree there. I think these two songs in particular have their own new and different feel. I love the hypnotic drumming in Diamond Light, as well as the angry bursts of guitar. I can imagine that track on AGIB or a Loose Fur record, if anywhere. I can't get enough of High as Hello, and I think it's a pretty fresh sound for Jeff. I know it's splitting hairs to argue with a concert review, but if there's anywhere for me to voice my dissent, it's here!

The reviewer thought that Diamond Light and High as Hello were Sky Blue Sky-ish? Gotta disagree there. I think these two songs in particular have their own new and different feel. I love the hypnotic drumming in Diamond Light, as well as the angry bursts of guitar. I can imagine that track on AGIB or a Loose Fur record, if anywhere. I can't get enough of High as Hello, and I think it's a pretty fresh sound for Jeff. Splitting hairs to argue with a concert review, but if there's anywhere for me to voice my dissent, it's here!

I think he just got his Wilco albums mixed up. Sky Blue Sky is neither edgy nor arty. He probably meant A Ghost is Born. Regardless of that one mistake, I thought his review was pretty accurate as to how the show went.

Here's Robert Wilonsky's review from the Dallas Morning News. In case you can't tell, he's a longtime fan.

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/jeff-tweedy-wont-give-back-the-key-to-your-heart-after-beautiful-bountiful-show-at-majestic.html/

Good review. I saw him before the show, but I wasn't sure if he would be writing about it.

They would have, indeed --

I see what you did there...and I applaud. :hug

(To answer the question, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these TWEEDY shows turn up in the Roadcase, but what people also have to understand is that some venues charge acts ridiculous fees for recording and selling shows so that's why some can't be sold. They allow them for archival purposes, but once it moves into trying to sell them, it becomes cost prohibitive for a lot of bands to do it. I believe this is the case at the Ryman, for instance. And the Hollywood Bowl, I remember had a similar provision.)

I see what you did there...and I applaud. :hug

(To answer the question, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these TWEEDY shows turn up in the Roadcase, but what people also have to understand is that some venues charge acts ridiculous fees for recording and selling shows so that's why some can't be sold. They allow them for archival purposes, but once it moves into trying to sell them, it becomes cost prohibitive for a lot of bands to do it. I believe this is the case at the Ryman, for instance. And the Hollywood Bowl, I remember had a similar provision.)

Cheers!

Interesting, I never knew this but it makes sense the more I think about it.  Thanks P

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it's a union thing. They want a cut. The Pixies didn't sell the show at CitiWang for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a union thing. The Bushnell in Hartford, for instance, wanted something like $9,000. Ridiculous and unfortunate.