TWEEDY at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

According to today's teaser medley on the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Website, TWEEDY will be performing this year. For those of you unfamiliar with this event it is definitely worth a special trip to the Bay Area. It's a 3-day free music festival in Golden Gate Park. So far in addition to TWEEDY Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams  and Yo La Tengo have been confirmed. Here's a link to the medley for those interested:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/

I can vouch for it's awesomeness - for my trip some time ago made up of one third JT solo, one third glorious Emmylou, and one third wonderful hosts. Not to mention finally getting to see Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings, Neko Case, Nick Lowe, Steve Earle, and some of the great bluegrass old timers.

You should see Emmylou's traditional closing Sunday set, but if you are more tempted by some other favourite on another of the stages at that time, then don't miss her also traditional Sunday 9am soundcheck.

Great memories . . .

From the days when I used to help out with this UK website starting out (by a couple of Wilco fans I met here):-

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/search/results/ebd9efc62d2114d02ecf3e19a39dda20/

I didn't know Emmylou had a traditional soundcheck! I've never arrived that early. I'm really hoping Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires get added to the lineup. They're playing in Napa on the Monday after this festival and have no dates booked for the weekend. They'd be a perfect addition.

• 1 month later...

TWEEDY are on Sunday. Definitley looks like some tough decisions have to be made on that day. Also a big remote fan of the Aquabats.

BY-DAY HSB14 LINEUP ANNOUNCED!

FRIDAY OCT 3 (10:30am - 7pm)

Cibo Matto with Nels Cline, John Prine, Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin with The Guilty Ones, Buckwheat Zydeco, Yo La Tengo, Lucinda Williams, Peter Rowan's Twang An' Groove, Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun, Conor Brings Friends For Friday Featuring: Waxahatchee, The Good Life, Jonathan Wilson, Sharon Van Etten, Dawes, Conor Oberst, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, Ryan Adams, The Aquabats! (Friday morning middle school program), Poor Man's Whiskey (Friday morning middle school program), Dry Branch Fire Squad, The Waybacks

SATURDAY OCT 4 (11am - 7:15pm)

Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, Chris Isaak, Dave Rawlings Machine, The Flatlanders Featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock, Robert Earl Keen, Carlene Carter, Social Distortion, Reckless Kelly, Evolfo, Heidi Clare, Built To Spill, Bad Luck Jonathan, Whograss, Steve Earle & The Dukes, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, Horseshoe Hill, Parker Millsap, McCrary Sisters, Rose's Pawn Shop, Johnnyswim, Buddy Miller's Cavalcade of Stars: Kate York, Striking Matches, Nikki Lane, Shawn Colvin, Tony Joe White, Buddy Miller & Friends with Doug Seegers, Sam Palladio & McCrary Sisters, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Chris Smither, Willie Watson, Deltron 3030 with The 3030 Orchestra, Red Baraat, Mavis Staples, Holler Down The Hollow: A Hardly Strictly Salute To the Masters (Dickens, Hellman, Reed, Scruggs, Seeger, Watson & Winchester), Justin Townes Earle, The Felice Brothers, The Mastersons, Alison Brown Quintet, Blue Rodeo, The Time Jumpers Featuring Vince Gill, Kenny Sears, Dawn Sears and Ranger Doug Green, Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas

SUNDAY OCT 5 (11am - 7pm)

The Brothers Gibb, Bruce Cockburn, Hot Rize Featuring Red Knuckles & The Trailblazers, Sarah Jarosz, Lukas Nelson & Promise of The Real, The Lone Bellow, Dwight Yoakam, Blackie and The Rodeo Kings, Malawi Mouse Boys, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Sam Chase, Sun Kil Moon, Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys, The Go To Hell Man Clan, Tweedy, Laurie Lewis & The Right Hands, Shelly Colvin, Moonalice, Chuck Cannon, T Bone Burnett, Rosanne Cash, Rising Appalachia, The Apache Relay, Jerry Douglas Presents Earls of Leicester, The High Bar Gang, Bonnie "Prince" Billy & The Cairo Gang featuring Dawn McCarthy, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, Kevin Welch, Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Lake Street Dive, Emmylou Harris, Jesse DeNatale, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Robbie Fulks, Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express 'Strings In The Temple', JB Nimble, Caitlin Rose, Béla Fleck & Abigail Washburn, Jason Isbell

I'm already having conflict anxiety and the schedule isn't even out yet. I've convinced myself that Ryan Adams and Conor and Friends will be at the same time. I'm also worried about Jason Isbell and Tweedy conflicting. Perhaps I should just wait until there is a real published conflict before I start freaking out, but that would make me a mentally sound individual. As a side note, I'm really hoping Tweedy gets to SF a day early and plays a song or two with Mavis. That would be heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

An absolutely perfect Sunday TWEEDY sandwich! Enjoy!

Friday, October 3:

Star Stage
10:30am Poor Man's Whiskey
11:30am The Aquabats!
1:30pm Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
2:45pm Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin with The Guilty Ones
4:30pm Lucinda Williams

Banjo Stage
12:00pm Peter Rowan's Twang An' Groove
1:15pm The Waybacks
2:40pm John Prine
4:15pm Dry Branch Fire Squad
5:45pm Ryan Adams

Arrow Stage
12:00pm Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun
1:15pm Buckwheat Zydeco
2:35pm Hurray For The Riff Raff
4:00pm Cibo Matto with Nels Cline
5:45pm Yo La Tengo

Rooster Stage
12:00pm Waxahatchee
1:00pm The Good Life
2:10pm Jonathan Wilson
3:20pm Sharon Van Etten
4:30pm Dawes
5:45pm Conor Oberst

Saturday, October 4:

Star Stage
11:00am Whograss
12:30pm Bad Luck Jonathan
2:10pm Justin Townes Earle
3:55pm Mavis Staples
5:45pm Chris Isaak

Banjo Stage
11:00am McCrary Sisters
12:10pm Alison Brown Quintet
1:25pm The Time Jumpers Featuring Vince Gill, Kenny Sears, Dawn Sears and Ranger Doug Green
2:45pm Holler Down The Hollow: A Hardly Strictly Salute To the Masters (Dickens, Hellman, Reed, Scruggs, Seeger, Watson & Winchester)
4:25pm Dave Rawlings Machine
5:45pm Steve Earle & The Dukes

Rooster Stage
11:00am Carlene Carter
12:15pm Buddy Miller's Cavalcade of Stars: Kate York, Striking Matches, Nikki Lane, Shawn Colvin, Tony Joe White, Buddy Miller & Friends with Doug Seegers, Sam Palladio & McCrary Sisters
5:30pm Robert Earl Keen

Arrow Stage
11:00am Evolfo
12:05pm Blue Rodeo
1:15pm Johnnyswim
2:30pm St. Paul & The Broken Bones
3:50pm Jon Batiste and Stay Human
4:55pm Reckless Kelly
6:15pm The Flatlanders Featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock

Gold Stage
11:40am Red Baraat
1:20pm Deltron 3030 with The 3030 Orchestra
3:05pm Built To Spill
4:45pm Social Distortion

Porch Stage
11:00am The Mastersons
12:10pm Rose's Pawn Shop
1:25pm The Felice Brothers
2:40pm Parker Millsap
3:50pm Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas
4:50pm Chris Smither
6:05pm Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds

Bandwagon Stage
11:40am Horseshoe Hill
2:00pm Willie Watson
3:20pm Heidi Clare

Sunday, October 5:

Star Stage
11:45am Robbie Fulks
1:15pm The Lone Bellow
2:50pm Rosanne Cash
4:30pm Lake Street Dive
6:10pm Bruce Cockburn

Banjo Stage
11:00am Malawi Mouse Boys
12:05pm Hot Rize Featuring Red Knuckles & The Trailblazers
1:25pm Jerry Douglas Presents Earls of Leicester
2:45pm Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys
4:05pm Tweedy
5:45pm Emmylou Harris

Rooster Stage
11:00am The Go To Hell Man Clan
12:10pm Kevin Welch & Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin
1:25pm Sun Kil Moon
2:45pm Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express
4:00pm T Bone Burnett
5:30pm Jason Isbell

Arrow Stage
11:00am The Sam Chase
12:10pm Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
1:25pm Moonalice
2:45pm Blackie & The Rodeo Kings
4:10pm Lukas Nelson & Promise of The Real
5:45pm Joe Russo's Almost Dead

Gold Stage
11:00am The Apache Relay
12:30pm Laurie Lewis & The Right Hands
2:00pm Bonnie "Prince" Billy & The Cairo Gang Featuring Dawn McCarthy
3:40pm Béla Fleck & Abigail Washburn
5:20pm Dwight Yoakam

Porch Stage
11:00am Jesse DeNatale
12:10pm Chuck Cannon
1:25pm The High Bar Gang
2:40pm Shelly Colvin
3:55pm Caitlin Rose
5:10pm Sarah Jarosz
6:20pm Rising Appalachia

Bandwagon Stage
11:40am Jimmie Dale Gilmore
2:15pm JB Nimble
5:10pm The Brothers Gibb

The weather forcast looks fabulous. I caught a good year when I was there many moons ago, but by 7pm there was a chill in the air, and it was definitely a bit nippy at 3am on the Sunday. Looks like no such problems this year. Dead jealous.

(We've been having an Indian summer here too. Still in t-shirts.)

Cibo Matto and Nels Cline?!

I wonder how that got put together....anyone see that set?

I'll assume you're not being sarcastic, so perhaps you didn't know that Nels' wife is Yuka Honda of Cibo Matto.

Cibo Matto and Nels Cline?!

I wonder how that got put together....anyone see that set?

Everyone can watch it here:-

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/webcast/fri-arrow.html

Each artist gets to decide if they want to be included or not. The Aquabats said no (Boo!). Ryan Adams said no. Lucinda Williams said yes.

No details of who said yes/no for the rest of the weekend. Everyone used to get pro filmed just for Warren's home videos, but that's been expanded out to the public more recently.

Such joyous music.

Great stuff!! And thanks for the tip... any idea on how long between bands? It's nearly 4:15 & the * about being unconfirmed for streaming is still there for Tweedy & Emmylou Harris...and I don't see them yet...still holding out hope for the best here...

OK 4:30 & some other bluegrass band is on there (something archived because Tweedy isn't streaming is my bet)...things aren't lookin' very good I don't think...
4:45- Wonder why Team Tweedy didn't want their performance streamed?

I watched Dave and Gillian yesterday and this link still works.

They start around 5 hours 20 in. Steve Earle after too.

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/webcast/sat-banjo.html

You can substitute sat for sun in todays current link to see Mavis too. Not sure how long they will bw available but I hope to see TWEEDY and Emmylou for breakfast tomorrow.

YES!!

Yesterday i enjoyed:

Deltron 3030 (rap/ rock/ horn section/ classical strings/ background singers/ conductor/ dj)

Built to Spill

Dave Rawlings Machine (happy birthday, gillian!)

and Mavis and she was the bestest!!

Tweedy web/stream at around 7 PM EST today, followed by Emmy Lou as traditional closer.

Weather looks gorgeous!!

OK 4:30 & some other bluegrass band is on there (something archived because Tweedy isn't streaming is my bet)...things aren't lookin' very good I don't think...

4:45- Wonder why Team Tweedy didn't want their performance streamed?

yesterday, i think they all streamed, unless it said 'not streaming" in parentheses.

Many even changed just prior to going on, so i'm hopeful we'll see some *'s removed.

YES!!

Yesterday i enjoyed:

Deltron 3030 (rap/ rock/ horn section/ classical strings/ background singers/ conductor/ dj)

Built to Spill

Dave Rawlings Machine (happy birthday, gillian!)

and Mavis and she was the bestest!!

Tweedy web/stream at around 7 PM EST today, followed by Emmy Lou as traditional closer.

Weather looks gorgeous!!

So Tweedy is 7:00 EST!!! Well alright then!!