Shapiro said in some interview they would be doing both in home and theater streaming, so hopefully the webcast option is still forthcoming. Poorly handled announcement if that is the case. Seems like they are doing their best to piss off every last Deadhead at this point. I guess if Donna shows up, we'll know that to be the goal.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shapiro said in some interview they would be doing both in home and theater streaming, so hopefully the webcast option is still forthcoming. Poorly handled announcement if that is the case. Seems like they are doing their best to piss off every last Deadhead at this point. I guess if Donna shows up, we'll know that to be the goal.

I inferred from the announcement that they went with theaters and no web at home streaming.  Wouldn't make sense to me to do both.  As a customer, if they offer a live web stream at home, no way i'm going to go sit in a theater.

I just watched that documentary on Muscle Shoals and there's Donna.  I knew she had a career as a session singer before joining the Dead but I had no idea she sang on When a Man Loves a Woman. 

I loved that documentary.  Also surprised to see Donna, had no idea she was in it.  I knew she sang with Elvis, but had no idea of the Muscle Shoals connection.

They Love Each Other, from the St. Paul MN 5/11/77 show, is sublime. That whole show is great. 

That's in the May '77 box, right?  Love that show.

Anytime I think of the Dead in St. Paul, I always think of the 2-17-'73 show with maybe the best transition jam I've ever heard them do-Here Comes Sunshine>China Cat.

Dave's Pick, Academy of Music 3-26-72

I just got the email announcing this, but I feel like this was already announced and discussed.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/daves-picks-volume-14?eml=dn/041715/main-image

I should be going to see The Garcia Project tonight, but there's a big stupid UCONN soccer event going on in my town tonight and everyone is going to that. My husband committed to working the concession stand, and I cannot find a soul to go with me. For a sport that no one in my family has much feelings for. I'm a little bitter about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listening to Dick's Pics 14, Boston Music Hall 73. During the Half Step on my CD, there is a crazy audio splice that happens. Sounds like changing stations, gutiar strums, fast backwards talking. Totally psychedelic. Last about 5 seconds, totally freaked me out. Coincidentally occurred at 4:20 into the song. The same glitch doesn't show up in the youtube of the song. Anyone else notice this on their copy? Can't find anything online about it. Sure seems like something that was planted there, but maybe it is some kind of error that can occur when making CD's?

Anyway, lead me to do some research on the song, and came across this great quote from the man:

"Lost My Boots in Transit, A Pile of Smoking Leather..."
"Events in my life suggested to me that maybe it was going to be my responsibility to keep upping the ante. In was in an automobile accident in 1960 with four other guys...ninety plus miles an hour on a back road. We hit these dividers and went flying, I guess. All I know is that I was sitting in the car and there was this...disturbance...and the next thing I was in a field, far enough away from the car that I couldn't see it.

The car was crumpled like a cigarette pack...and inside it were my shoes. I'd been thrown completely out of my shoes and through the windshield. One guy did die in the group. It was like loosing the golden boy, the one who had the most to offer. For me it was crushing, but I had the feeling that my life had been spared to do something...not to take any bullshit, to either go whole hog or not at all...That was when my life began. Before that I had been living at less than capacity. That event was the slingshot for the rest of my life. It was my second chance, and I got serious."

Imagine the damage with the ladies that a young Weir and Mayer could have done.

Like I wrote before, the Mayer/Weir performance on one of the late shows was tolerable --- wouldn't pay to go see them, though.

This appeared on my FB page just now:

Many fans of the Grateful Dead were unable to acquire tickets to the band’s reunion shows at Chicago’s Soldier Field this July, prompting the announcement of two additional dates in their hometown of Santa Clara, California. Despite the heavy demand, the band announced it “would not be adding any more Fare Thee Well performances. The three Chicago shows will still be our final stand. We decided to add these two Santa Clara shows to enable more of our fans to celebrate with us one more time. But this is it.”

However, those plans may have again changed: According to Billboard, Grateful Dead are plotting a full-scale tour to take place in the fall. And while the summer shows will feature Phish frontman Trey Anastasio filling the void of Jerry Garcia, plans for the full tour include John Mayer as Grateful Dead’s replacement singer.

Mayer is reportedly already rehearsing with members of the Dead for the tour, which would kick off in October. A representative for the band called the report “premature,” though Billboard cites multiple insiders who have knowledge of the band’s plans.

The promoter behind the band’s Fare Thee Well performances, Peter Shapiro, says any future tour wouldn’t be billed under the Grateful Dead banner. He tells Billboard, “What you won’t see is the four surviving members together saying goodbye in this kind of way. This is it. Chicago is the end, and Santa Clara is leading into the end. But like a great Dead tune, it will evolve and they will wander around on their own.”

Imagine the damage with the ladies that a young Weir and Mayer could have done.

Like I wrote before, the Mayer/Weir performance on one of the late shows was tolerable --- wouldn't pay to go see them, though.

That was decent, but Mayer didn't sing. Just can't stand the guy, don't want him associated with the band, particularly their final chapter. We already get enough shit from people that don't like the Dead. Mayer joining them would be a valid and indefensible criticism. He's an ok guitar player, but there are lots of those out there. He's like Clapton, if Clapton didn't have the first 10 years of his career and just went straight to the cheese.

Can we all agree that the Dead, or just Bobby, touring with John Mayer would be dreadful? It hurts my soul.

I'm no big John Mayer fan but have you heard his album "Try" some good stuff on that...if this "Dead" lineup comes close to home at reasonable prices I'm in...would prefer Steve Kimock though.

Has anyone here heard any John Mayer Trio? The guy is a phenomenal blues guitar player, one of the best. And he made it well known a few years ago that he hunkered down in Montana for over a year and listened mostly to Grateful Dead music. Saw him at Crossroads '13. Put aside all the Hollywood stuff, the guy can play and seems like his head's been in a good place for several years. I look forward to seeing him play GD music with any combination of Weir et al.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the best? As far as modern blues guitar players go, for which there are few, he's got nothing on Dan Auerbach, Jack White, Gary Clark, Derek Trucks. He's good at mimicking others, but has done nothing original. In the history of blues guitar players, he is completely forgettable, and contributes nothing as far as improv based music goes. Just a giant dooch. I mean, he's no fucking Nels Cline, that's for sure. Fuck that ass hat. Who would really spend there time listening to Mayer's music, when there are so many better guitar players in the genre. Just because it is a dying genre doesn't mean we should exalt this clown. He's a competent guitar player, but let's not get crazy about his talents or imagination, nor ignore his deficiencies. 

I mean, whatever floats your boat, but why in the name of all things holy would you waste your time listening to his music when you could be listening to something so much superior?