For me personally, the very essence of The Dead & the art of the segue is Dark Star > Dew. There were only 12 of 'em. All between 5/18/72 & 10/18/74. Interesting that the last one is during the "Retirement" shows at Winterland. Anyway...here they are:

5/18/72

5/23/72

8/24/72

9/21/72

10/18/72

11/13/72

12/15/72

9/11/73 

10/19/73 - there's a Mind Left Body jam in between but wtf

2/24/74

9/10/74

10/18/74

Hey let's talk about this. Top 5? 

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Garcia Band/Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band

On Broadway - Act One: October 28th, 1987

Just got an email, the above will be the next Garcia release--- only have "Pure Jerry: Lunt-Fontanne, The Best Of The Rest", from this run -- which I haven't listened to in awhile.

That's what they should play during the reunion shows - two hours of Dark Star and then walk off. 

Oh man! Can you imagine? Like there hasn't been enough bitching about every damn thing already! "You wanted Dark Star - well here it is". LOL

I would be happy if the Sunday Chicago show consisted of:

1st Set

Playin>The Other One

2nd Set

Eyes>Dark Star

Encore:

Terrapin>Sugar Magnolia (for Uncle Bo-Bo)

I read on fb last night, from Billy, that he was offered the opportunity to PURCHASE a pair of tix for the CHI shows, and he did (he's "miracling" them to a random person at his L.A. booksigning tonight or whenever it is). WTF is that?! He mentioned how he didn't have to pay for a ticket to any Dead shows ever....heh.

I read on fb last night, from Billy, that he was offered the opportunity to PURCHASE a pair of tix for the CHI shows, and he did (he's "miracling" them to a random person at his L.A. booksigning tonight or whenever it is). WTF is that?! He mentioned how he didn't have to pay for a ticket to any Dead shows ever....heh.

That is a great story!  Way to go Billy.

Billy has been high profile of late with the book and dropping in on other bands to jam with and his own music projects, etc. I'm digging his new "look," too, with the nice brimmed hat (finally ditched that god-awful red baseball cap) and the sport coat.....

He's coming to my neck of the woods to sign the book on Saturday. I will not be attending.

Is tonight the Dear Jerry show? Either way, I'm having my own "Dear Jerry" tribute- spinning my MOFI vinyl Live/Dead. I couldn't begin to know how many times I've listened to this over the years, but still flips me out each time I get to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder if they are allowing 'open' audio taping -- I guess, I wouldn't be surprise if they didn't - it is definitely one those shows produced for a DVD release commercial purpose.

Listened to the stream of the show last night. Besides Weir doing "Days Between" (cringe, though I give him a pass on this last night for the occassion that it was) it was a hoot. Highlights, for me,: Jimmy Cliff's  "Fire on the Mountain," Jorma's "Sugaree," and WSP's KILLER "Morning Dew."

Frampton's "Road Runner" was cool, too.

Road Runner is such a great song. I only know it from Jerry singing it but I suspect he does it best.

Road Runner is such a great song. I only know it from Jerry singing it but I suspect he does it best.

The only other version I've heard is the Frampton one off of one his albums. Caught the GD doing it in Hampton the first of the two times they did it in '86.

Ha. At the end of the "show" cited above, Jerry asks "anybody in the audience wanna come up and play?! No? Ok." and it ends. WEEEE_HEEEE musy've been a night. The guitar work is downright nasty, almost Hendrix-esque in parts.

So, which Europe '72 show should I buy next? I don't actually have that many, but could never afford to buy the entire trunk. I can only get one here, one there. I already owned versions of 4/14, 5/25 & 5/26, and I have the official E72 releases of 4/16 and 5/11. Thinking of one getting one of the following:

5/23 (Strand #1)

4/26 (Frankfurt)

5/3 (Olympia #1)

4/8 (Wembley #2)

4/11 (Newcastle)

Decisions, decisions...