Not even sure I could sell my wife on this as an investment (buy it, burn the tunes I want, resell on Amazon or Ebay). I figure it will go quick...but I also figure they will weenie out and make it available as individual shows like they did with E72. Tough call.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inclusion of the 9-18-87 MSG show, and the pre-release of the Morning Dew from that show, speaks well of this box!  One of my all time favorite second sets.  A very good soundboard has circulated for years, and not a video of that show is up on YouTube.  I'm not going to buy the box, I have no room for all those discs, but I think its great they're doing this.

I was listening to a preview of Bird Song from the Branford Marsalis show in 1990. I'm assuming that this is a highly cherished/rated show, but wow, Jerry's voice sounded so weak... It was heartbreaking. 

If the late 80s were sort of a come-back renaissance for the band, what was the nadir of the band? I've read that Jerry used to zonk out and rest his chin on the microphone, and would forget what song they were playing... What shows/tours would this have happened during?

Is anyone here going to the shows in Chicago or Santa Clara? The audience will be so charged up that I'm sure it will be a blast, but I wonder about the quality of the music. Were any of the "Dead" shows from 10 years ago any good? I've heard that they're not rehearsing much for these shows. Who will be singing the Jerry parts?

Have you not heard the second set of that 1990 Branford show (the Nassau one)?  It's a highlight show, for sure.  Starting right off the bat with the Eyes opener.  Really a spectacular show. 

The nadir of the band?  For me, '93-95 clearly.  Never a fan of Vince, but at least in '90-'91 we had Hornsby playing piano.  After he left Vince alone and Garcia falling apart in front of our eyes....was very sad to behold.

I'm expecting Trey to be singing a lot of the Jerry tunes.

Here we agree to disagree: I find the entire Vince Welnick era to be pretty much unlistenable. I might be able to extract an occasional Bobby tune I could tolerate...but not likely. The keys ruin it for me, even when Jerry is silent. I wrote a long post about it back on May 5th on this thread. I even tried listening to that version of Jerry singing To Lay Me Down in 1990 at MSG, but I thought it was absolutely awful. Could not get through the song.

Although I can't stand them, I'm glad that people find something to like in these eras. But believe me when I tell ya, I do NOT feel like I am missing out. Every time I try, it brings me down.

Interesting, I say that 1990 MSG run was a historically great run.  One of the last, but still a killer run for me.  With second set of 9-20-90 being a pinnacle set.  Boston 1991 another historically great run, maybe the last great run.

I'm kind of glad they're doing this, too. I can resist the temptation to spend $ I don't have, knowing that all 30 years are represented. If they did another primo 70s box like '72 or '73 or '77, I might have already clicked on "Add to Cart." :lol

Have you not heard the second set of that 1990 Branford show (the Nassau one)?  It's a highlight show, for sure.  Starting right off the bat with the Eyes opener.  Really a spectacular show. 

I have not - I just wanted to make a note about how surprised I was to hear Jerry's voice in that state - having been feeding myself a steady diet of 70s shows over the past year. 

That entire show...

It's interesting to go back and re-hear that show after moving on to discover new shows in the interim. Man. It seems to get better every time I go back to it. Their energy is set to 11 from the get go. You're right - that entire show.

I'm listening to the May 4 '72 Paris show during my commute this morning. I chuckled when Weir introduced Donna before Playing in the Band starts up: "This here is Donna. She's going to help out with the next song."

I imagined him doing air quotes for "help out" then rolling his eyes.

Full shows for the 30 suns thing:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA
1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA
1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA
1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO
1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT
1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA
1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France
1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA
1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI
1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ
1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA
1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL
1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX
1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA
1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME
1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH
1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA
1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY
1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME
1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL
1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France
1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY
1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada
1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA
1995 - 2/21, Delta Center, Salt Lake City, UT

Interesting....If the shows are available....here are my choices:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA *****SURE
1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA *****fantastic show
1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA ******may 10/13 but 10/20 is a great show
1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA*****great show
1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA *****blah; I'd pick February 2, 1970 (amazing dark star)
1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO *****blah; i think january 1971 thorugh august 1971 is at best average...I'd have picked 12/5/1971....
1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT *****sure - great show, but how about July 18, 1972??? the 12 minute jam before the dark star verse is among the finest I've ever heard from jerry...literally on fire...
1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA *****ok...but how about february 15, 1973?
1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France ****really? how about february 24, 1974??? or June 20, 1974??? or July 19, 1974???
1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA ***ok - probably the best show from 1975
1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI ****hmmm...not July 18, 1976 or August 4, 1976?
1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ *****ugh....when will they release 15 October 1977???
1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI ****1978 was a tough year...this was probably a good choice...
1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA ****of course the He's Gone through OMSN is ephemeral...but the first set was quite average for that tour...and the Dancin' Franklins while lasting about 30 minutes doesn't have a lot of really impressive jerry...for more complete shows that was exceptional - how about May 7, 1979? or 13 August 1979?
1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL ****sure - great show...
1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY ****sure...great show...
1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX ****sure - great show but not 10 October 1982?? or 17 September 1982 (easily one of the best dead shows ever...)????
1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA ***yup...great show
1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME ****I've always liked 31 December 1984....
1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH ****September 3, 1985 Red rocks???
1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA ****how can they not pick the BCT show where Brent slurred and neraly passed out on stage (21 April 1986?)
1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY ****yup...
1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME ***yup...
1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL ****10.16 released, 7.7 released....how about the other amazing 1989 show - February 10, 1989???
1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France ***really? there were better summer shows than this...
1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY ****no opinion...
1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada ****no opinion...
1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY****no opinion...
1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA****no opinion...
****no opinion...

Full shows for the 30 suns thing:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA

1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA

1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO

1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT

1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA

1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France

1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA

1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI

1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ

1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI

1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA

1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL

1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX

1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA

1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME

1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH

1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA

1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME

1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL

1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France

1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY

1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada

1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY

1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA

A leak!  Did this list come from Snowden?

A leak!  Did this list come from Snowden?

I believe that people deduced which shows would be on the big box because of the info listed on the smaller set on iTunes.

I went home last night and checked to see which of these shows I already had in some format, either on my iMac or external HD. Not a lot of familiar sounding dates, other than the Dream Bowl show and Lindley. I was absolutely amazed to find that I already owned (or had easy access to) mp3 files of the 69, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 79, 83, 85 and 87 shows...possibly a couple others. If anyone wants a link to a site that has zip folders of some of these shows - and many others - just PM me. If you must have lossless, I am afraid I can't help ya.

Here we agree to disagree: I find the entire Vince Welnick era to be pretty much unlistenable. I might be able to extract an occasional Bobby tune I could tolerate...but not likely. The keys ruin it for me, even when Jerry is silent. I wrote a long post about it back on May 5th on this thread. I even tried listening to that version of Jerry singing To Lay Me Down in 1990 at MSG, but I thought it was absolutely awful. Could not get through the song.

Although I can't stand them, I'm glad that people find something to like in these eras. But believe me when I tell ya, I do NOT feel like I am missing out. Every time I try, it brings me down.

I respect this opinion, heartbreak.  I saw a bunch of shows in the 90s, but to tell you the truth, i was getting tired of it all.  I don't think I ever recovered to tell you the truth.  i haven't driven more than 30 minutes for a related show since 1996.  i only saw one show in 95 and it turned out to be a fare thee well of sorts.  all my dead buddies were able to meet up in pittsburgh.  i saw a ton of phish shows in the in their prime of the first half of the 90s.  that got tiring too.  anyway, i think that played a roll in not digging 90s dead.

i will say that it's fascinating to me how garcia's voice basically went to shit at age 39.  to me 80-81 were excellent years.  as good as ever.  then in 82-83 garcia just lost it concerning voice and stage presence.  he didn't lose the playing till 92 as far as i'm concerned.  even then, there were one or two gems per show.  that's why i'd like to hear a comp of each tour of 92-95.  however, i see you not digging vince.  he was a cheese ball and using all that digital keyboard stuff didn't help.  seeing them live though, i didn't care.

I was listening to a preview of Bird Song from the Branford Marsalis show in 1990. I'm assuming that this is a highly cherished/rated show, but wow, Jerry's voice sounded so weak... It was heartbreaking. 

If the late 80s were sort of a come-back renaissance for the band, what was the nadir of the band? I've read that Jerry used to zonk out and rest his chin on the microphone, and would forget what song they were playing... What shows/tours would this have happened during?

Is anyone here going to the shows in Chicago or Santa Clara? The audience will be so charged up that I'm sure it will be a blast, but I wonder about the quality of the music. Were any of the "Dead" shows from 10 years ago any good? I've heard that they're not rehearsing much for these shows. Who will be singing the Jerry parts?

the hype for these shows can't meet what will really happen.  the best incarnation was 98 other ones.  each dead tour since has been touch and go with the run with jimmy herring in 04 being fun.  the problem with these one off tours is precisely what you said, they are under-rehearsed.  the dead were great because they had all played together for decades!  the new incarnations just don't have that chemistry.  my hunch is that trey will be really hesitant looking around for when he should solo while bruce looks on with a pensive smile.  phil will rock, as always and bob will slow the tempo of everything.  their might be some shining moments though.  who knows.  really sad further quit.  i was finally getting into them.  they played at a snails pace, but JK really started getting comfortable and they played arrangements to a T.  all this being said, i will go to a theater to see some of these shows.

concerning this giant release, what's the point?  they are all on archive.org...

I think the Sans Garcians would have been better off if they had picked one guitar player (Herring? Warren?) and just stuck with him. The constant switching of lead guitar players made the sound uneven and tentative. I saw them with Herring in 2002? (summerfest milwaukee) and Weir seemed to be leading the direction of the jams. it was odd - that is not his role or talent. I don't know - i just never found the variant strains of the Sans Garcians to be all that interesting. It almost is like a Dead cover band...

i will say that it's fascinating to me how garcia's voice basically went to shit at age 39.  to me 80-81 were excellent years.  as good as ever.  then in 82-83 garcia just lost it concerning voice and stage presence.  he didn't lose the playing till 92 as far as i'm concerned.  even then, there were one or two gems per show.  that's why i'd like to hear a comp of each tour of 92-95.  however, i see you not digging vince.  he was a cheese ball and using all that digital keyboard stuff didn't help.  seeing them live though, i didn't care.

His voice and playing were excellent from 87-90, imo. He was actually moving a lot on stage, smiling, and seemed content and genuinely happy, as well.

His voice and playing were excellent from 87-90, imo. He was actually moving a lot on stage, smiling, and seemed content and genuinely happy, as well

I re-watched Set 1 of the Crimson White & Indigo DVD last night  - a show from 7.7.89  -- the above fits Garcia description during the show.

concerning this giant release, what's the point?  they are all on archive.org...

I'm not going to get the giant release, but for me, the point would be to own a mobile version of these shows so I can listen to them on the go - which is how I get most of my listening done these days. Most of the shows I've looked up on archive.org are stream-only, which is fine if I want to be confined to my desk, but when I have a pork shoulder to put on the smoker, part of my recipe is to make sure the BBQ gets to listen to the Dead the whole time. I need my ipod/iphone plus a bluetooth speaker to accomplish that!

July 7, 1989 was arguably the best show of 1989 (from opening note of set 1 through last note of encore)...

It's a good one -- turned it off listen to 5.21.77.

I'd argue that the Warlocks shows, (in particular 10.9.89), trumped just about anything from '89. The shows with Clarence Clemons  were awesome, too, as was the NYE show. The JFK show is an excellent show, but I think the fact it's on top-notch video helps, too....