Kind of an entertaining article from Rolling Stone with various musicians talking about their favorite Dead tunes: 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/my-favorite-grateful-dead-song-dave-matthews-black-keys-and-more-20150527

Kudos to Chris Robinson & Lee Ranaldo for picking classic orginals like Dark Star and Jack Straw. As for Dan Auerbach...Me & My Uncle, really? Not that it's bad, it's one of the Dead's most-played covers, but jeez.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of an entertaining article from Rolling Stone with various musicians talking about their favorite Dead tunes: 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/my-favorite-grateful-dead-song-dave-matthews-black-keys-and-more-20150527

Kudos to Chris Robinson & Lee Ranaldo for picking classic orginals like Dark Star and Jack Straw. As for Dan Auerbach...Me & My Uncle, really? Not that it's bad, it's one of the Dead's most-played covers, but jeez.

yea, but Auerbach's explanation of why is nice...

"It's All Too Much" is the best thing Vince brought to the table with the GD. I love this '95 Philly show (I know, I know '95?!!!!!!). The All Too Much is excellent, followed by a kick-ass "Aiko" and letter in the set, a magnificent and touching "Visions"...If you generally ignore 90s/particularly '95, consider the below:

https://archive.org/details/gd95-03-18.sbd.1362.sbeok.shnf

ed. Some of the best (re: my favorite) 'Stella Blue"s were from the last few years, too. Garcia would often extent the playing/vocals into new territory.

I endorse everything written here. That Iko is so fun, Jerry really comes to life for a moment there.

I wonder if that is the same house he has always lived in. There are photos of his place in the Playing In The Band book that look to be the same as what we see in the documentary.

I watched it last night.  He says he bought the house in 1972 with the money he got to record Ace and he's lived there ever since. 

That article was strange to me in that the choices fit the artist, somehow. With the exception being Robinson & Renaldo - I would have thought those tunes would have been reversed with those two.

"It's All Too Much" is the best thing Vince brought to the table with the GD. I love this '95 Philly show (I know, I know '95?!!!!!!). The All Too Much is excellent, followed by a kick-ass "Aiko" and letter in the set, a magnificent and touching "Visions"...If you generally ignore 90s/particularly '95, consider the below:

https://archive.org/details/gd95-03-18.sbd.1362.sbeok.shnf

ed. Some of the best (re: my favorite) 'Stella Blue"s were from the last few years, too. Garcia would often extent the playing/vocals into new territory.

The Spectrum was host to many good shows in the final years. Didn't they bust out unbroken chain there?

That article was strange to me in that the choices fit the artist, somehow. With the exception being Robinson & Renaldo - I would have thought those tunes would have been reversed with those two.

Uncle? Yeah, this was a puff piece. These dudes don't like the dead. Fair whether fans. Which is okay, but not appropriate for article. What I do find curious is the national's fandom do the dead. Their music is totally different.

The Spectrum was host to many good shows in the final years. Didn't they bust out unbroken chain there?

Yes, the Unbroken Chain was the night after the one I cited.  I saw a good amount of shows at The Spectrum. I believe it was the only place I saw a rat scurry around a corner, too, during the 3-day run in '84.....

These dudes don't like the dead. Fair whether fans. Which is okay, but not appropriate for article. What I do find curious is the national's fandom do the dead. Their music is totally different.

I think Chris Robinson would be an exception. He clearly likes the Dead. The CRB has been covering all sorts of tunes for a while, ranging from Mr. Charlie to West L.A. Fadeaway to Bertha, and even Dylan songs associated with the Jerry band, like Tough Mama. Although I guess I would say he doesn't seem to be a fan of Bobby tunes, since he doesn't play those. :lol

Loved when CR does his thing with P&F....

Although I guess I would say he doesn't seem to be a fan of Bobby tunes, since he doesn't play those. :lol

He had the trio w/ Jackie and Booby, though. Caught the first one at Rocky Grass several years ago and it was fantastic....

I think Chris Robinson would be an exception. He clearly likes the Dead. The CRB has been covering all sorts of tunes for a while, ranging from Mr. Charlie to West L.A. Fadeaway to Bertha, and even Dylan songs associated with the Jerry band, like Tough Mama. Although I guess I would say he doesn't seem to be a fan of Bobby tunes, since he doesn't play those. :lol

Robinson plays Minglewood Blues, and it is pretty ripping. 

Good point. He also plays BE Women and TLEO. I prefer CRB original stuff though.

Uncle? Yeah, this was a puff piece. These dudes don't like the dead. Fair whether fans. Which is okay, but not appropriate for article. What I do find curious is the national's fandom do the dead. Their music is totally different.

I don't think this sentiment applies to Ryan Adams.  Seems to me his interest in the Dead is legit.  Didn't he put out an album widely seen to be an American Beauty offspring?

I'm trying to figure out why itunes doesn't have the last three volumes (the last three Strand shows) for sale. They have everything else...

Man - it's fun getting new shows.

iTunes might not have 'em, but the last 3 Strand shows are available at dead.net:

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/europe-72-strand-lyceum-london-england-5241972

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/europe-72-strand-lyceum-london-england-5251972

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/europe-72-strand-lyceum-london-england-5261972

thanks. Man, Dead.net charges a premium for CDs. $30! The most expensive Eur 72 shows on itunes are $20. What's the pricing on a year's subscription for Dave's picks?

It's much, much worse on zappa.com. Don't even get me started...

With the Dead shows, you're pretty much paying for the actual artifact, including individualized liner notes, artwork, etc...per show, that is.

If you get the Dave's Picks subscription early, you can get it with free shipping for $100. So it works out to $25 per Pick, plus the bonus disc. Not at all a bad deal, IMO, because if you don't like a Pick, you can always resell it on Ebay or Amazon and get your $ back.

It's much, much worse on zappa.com. Don't even get me started...

Ha. I was just checking out that site yesterday. What a mess. the FZ Trust has to get someone to take the power away from Gail. They've been sitting on a ton of material, like the Roxy shows, for example. 

I've never purchased anything from there. No thanks.

But I would love to get more shows from the George Duke / Ruth / NMB era. All I have is the Helsinki concert and Roxy and Elsewhere. 

I don't think this sentiment applies to Ryan Adams.  Seems to me his interest in the Dead is legit.  Didn't he put out an album widely seen to be an American Beauty offspring?

Anyone remember when Ryan use to post on the old RAA board? His user name was wolfhunter (after Jerry's guitar and Robert Hunter.) I've always liked that name.