Was listening to 8/23/69, the Bullfrog 2 festival, yesterday. Pig is deep into Love Light and he gets someone out of the audience to sing for awhile. The guy was just getting his groove on and Pig jumps back in and finishes the tune. Too much. What other band would do that?

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to a preview of Bird Song from the Branford Marsalis show in 1990. I'm assuming that this is a highly cherished/rated show, but wow, Jerry's voice sounded so weak... It was heartbreaking. 

If the late 80s were sort of a come-back renaissance for the band, what was the nadir of the band? I've read that Jerry used to zonk out and rest his chin on the microphone, and would forget what song they were playing... What shows/tours would this have happened during?

Is anyone here going to the shows in Chicago or Santa Clara? The audience will be so charged up that I'm sure it will be a blast, but I wonder about the quality of the music. Were any of the "Dead" shows from 10 years ago any good? I've heard that they're not rehearsing much for these shows. Who will be singing the Jerry parts?

I only saw the core 4 play together three times --- 2 times at Alpine Valley when they got back together for the 1st time and put on the two day fest -- the fest was great overall - their performance was pretty good, though I don't go back to listened to it very often - it was great weekend, though.

The 3rd time was in 09 or so - at the Rosemont Horizon - that show was very dull and boring.

I will be at the Chicago shows - hoping for the best, music wise - but I most look forward to hanging out with friends. I do have high hopes though, music wise, but it has to be really bad for me disappointed.

If it ends up like being like the 09 show - I would be disappointed.

With regards to Jerry tunes -- I am sure everyone will participate in singing them. Hopefully Bruce gets more than a couple shots at singing them. Gotta admit, hopefully Phil sticks to back up singing...

I was listening to a preview of Bird Song from the Branford Marsalis show in 1990. I'm assuming that this is a highly cherished/rated show, but wow, Jerry's voice sounded so weak... It was heartbreaking. 

If the late 80s were sort of a come-back renaissance for the band, what was the nadir of the band? I've read that Jerry used to zonk out and rest his chin on the microphone, and would forget what song they were playing... What shows/tours would this have happened during?

I can't speak to the absolute nadir of the band, but I have heard/read some things about 1995 that make me stay away from everything during that era.

Although the late 80s post-coma period was something of a comeback for the band musically - and they even reached their greatest commercial success by far with Touch of Grey, moving from coliseums to stadiums - Jerry's vocal decline had really started in the early 80s, and never stopped. From '85 on, it was a precipitous decline. Now, the only Dead shows I ever saw with Jerry were from '82-'84, with one exception in '91. After that, I was done seeing the band...all because of how heartbreaking it was, and how bad his vocals were...not just the missed lyrics, but the actual delivery. I used to probably offend people by referring to it as Jerry's "dying sea cow" voice. :lol

I did catch one Jerry show in '89 when he was on a bit of an upswing, and that '91 Dead show was decent..but not great. I know it gets debated ad nauseum (especially by a couple vocal 80s fanatics on the Dead.net site), but really, I think it's fair to say that the band's peak years were over by the 80s. Sure, there are plenty of great moments with Brent, and a few great shows. But if you ask me to put on some Dead, I'm reaching for 70s, or maybe even back into the 60s. I don't listen to the audience copies of the shows I went to very often. My sentimentality clouds my judgment (I feel like they're better than they probably are), but even those don't pull me in much.

By the way, I went back to check out that 1990 Branford Marsalis show not long ago, because some guy on the Dead.net site was insisting that this was the greatest Bird Song of all time. Man, I got about a minute or a minute and a half into it, and I had to shut it off: the vocals are terrible, but that plinky keyboard sound totally sucks ass too. So, it's not just you. Different strokes, I guess.

I've never seen/heard of Jerry nodding out during a tune and/or resting his chin on the mic. He forgot lyrics occasionally, as did Weir. Maybe a little more so in the last few years. If said it before, but I am able to find very listenable material from all eras of the band, including '95. Garcia's voiced changed throughout his career and lyrics were sometimes flubbed but, for the most part, the music remained solid (with off-night exceptions, of course).

...said it before, but I am able to find very listenable material from all eras of the band, including '95. Garcia's voiced changed throughout his career and lyrics were sometimes flubbed but, for the most part, the music remained solid (with off-night exceptions, of course).

Here we agree to disagree: I find the entire Vince Welnick era to be pretty much unlistenable. I might be able to extract an occasional Bobby tune I could tolerate...but not likely. The keys ruin it for me, even when Jerry is silent. I wrote a long post about it back on May 5th on this thread. I even tried listening to that version of Jerry singing To Lay Me Down in 1990 at MSG, but I thought it was absolutely awful. Could not get through the song.

Although I can't stand them, I'm glad that people find something to like in these eras. But believe me when I tell ya, I do NOT feel like I am missing out. Every time I try, it brings me down.

I've never seen/heard of Jerry nodding out during a tune and/or resting his chin on the mic. 

I can't find a reliable source for that - it all seems to be a repeated internet fable (it's even mentioned on Garcia's wikipedia page, but it's not cited). But one of the sources (albeit an online tabloid) seemed to point to Kreutzman's recent book - claiming that Garcia would drool on the mic and fade in and out...

Are you going to be tripping balls?

:lol  It's been a long while - but who knows. 

The only time I was really disappointed in a Garcia performance was the 6/24/94 (2nd show Soldier Field ). The 1st show was a bit fun, but the 2nd show Garcia was pretty listless. It was the first time that I heard a lot of grumbling around me about Garcia's performance while at a show ---(I haven't been to nearly as many shows as most on this board to give a decent account, though).

The next show I saw was their last - even that show had it's moments, compared to 6/24/94 - but that's not saying much.

I remember reading that a while ago - it is a nice piece. 

I always enjoyed the below bit by Dylan

from

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/interviews/a26917/who-is-this-bob-dylan-interview-0214/

Dylan also loved Jerry Garcia. And when Jerry died, an addict rather than a seer, Dylan went to the funeral and on his way out told Jerry's advisor, John Scher, "That man back there is the only one who knew what it's like to be me."

The four disc set looks pretty nice, so much better than any of the other "greatest hits" releases they've done in the past.

I bought the Spring '90 double disc thing a couple years ago and it's pretty good stuff.

Yikes. Someone on dead.net posted:

This was up on iTunes this morning as some kind of "highlights" list. Presumably these are the 30 shows.
Caution The Emergency Crew (Presumably 1965 studio version)
Cream Puff War Filmore Aud SF, CA 7/3/66
Viola Lee Blues Shrine Aud LA, CA 11/10/67
Dark Star Greek Th Berkley, CA 10/20/68
Doin That Rag Dream Bowl Vallejo, CA 2/22/69
Dancin In the Streets Winterland SF, CA 4/15/70
Aint It Crazy Fox Th St. Louis, MO 3/18/71
Tomorrow is Forever Palace Th Waterbury, CT 9/24/72
Here Comes Sunshine Sports Arena SD, CA 11/14/73
Uncle Johns Band Parc des Expositions Dijon, FR 9/18/74
Franklins Tower Lindley Meadows SF, CA 9/28/75
Scarlet Begonias Cobo Hall Detroit, MI 10/3/76
Estimated prophet Capital Th Passaic, NJ 4/25/77
Samson and Delilah CC Providence, RI 5/14/78
Lost Sailor/St of Circumstance Cape Cod Coliseum S Yarmouth, MA 10/27/79
Deep Elem Blues CC Lakeland, FL 11/28/80
Shakedown Street Barton Hall Ithaca, NY 5/16/81
Bird Song Manor Downs Austin, TX 7/31/82
Brother Esau Centrum Worchester, MA 10/21/83
Feel Like a Stranger CC Augusta, ME 10/12/84
Let it grow River Bend Cincinnati, OH 6/24/85
Comes a time Cal Expo Sacramento, CA 5/3/86
Morning dew MSG New York, NY 9/18/87
Not fade away Speedway Oxford, ME 7/3/88
Blow Away Arena Miami, FL 10/26/89
Ramble On Rose Zenith Paris, FR 10/27/90
High time MSG NY, NY 9/10/91
Althea Copps Coliseum Ontario, Canada 3/20/92
Broken Arrow Knickerbocker Albany, NY 3/27/93
So Many Roads Garden Boston, MA 10/1/94
Visions of Johanna Delta Center SLC, UT 2/21/95

So far, for me, IMHO, that honor goes to the '72 Veneta show. 

Most memorable live one was at Oxford in 88 and a hover craft floated around above the crowd during Bird Song Dude landed in the field, too, iirc....