Listening to 6/4/78 show this morning -- pretty wild 2nd set from drums onwards. Donna is kinda all over the place during Not Fade Away, GDTRFB, and Around and Around ("Spit it out, Bob!" :lol ).  Sounds like Warren Zevon's opening set was an interesting one. I haven't poked around, but does anybody know if Zevon's set was taped is available anywhere?

Just finished up with the encore -- man, they all were flying high this night. Fun show.

https://archive.org/details/gd1978-06-04.sbd.cantor.miller.94407.sbeok.flac16

Sounds like the relationship between Warren and the audience was very contentious. Sounds hilarious actually. 

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to 6/4/78 show this morning -- pretty wild 2nd set from drums onwards. Donna is kinda all over the place during Not Fade Away, GDTRFB, and Around and Around ("Spit it out, Bob!" :lol ).  Sounds like Warren Zevon's opening set was an interesting one. I haven't poked around, but does anybody know if Zevon's set was taped is available anywhere?

Just finished up with the encore -- man, they all were flying high this night. Fun show.

https://archive.org/details/gd1978-06-04.sbd.cantor.miller.94407.sbeok.flac16

Apparently Warren was hammered and was actually boo-ed off stage at this show....

Sounds like the relationship between Warren and the audience was very contentious. Sounds hilarious actually. 

Yeah - it definitely sounds like everyone was sharing their stash amongst each other -- it just sounds like Warren got a little grumpy (probably rightfully so - sounds the audience was a handful, but it sounds like Zevon was heckling the crowd, too) and the Dead just got giddy.

Listening to this 74 for show for the Dark Star> Slipknot> Stella Blue: https://archive.org/details/gd74-07-25.sbd.miller.12656.sbeok.shnf

Anyone ever see the Wall of Sound? Kind of a toss up to travel back in time and see either a Wall of Sound show or an Acid Test. 

Some great reviews on the Archive:

I attended this show, and over 100 more after it. My recollections: The hall was cavernous and totally dark when we arrived. Some seven or eight of us were seated on stage left, about halfway up and halfway back. The music had already started, but all we could hear was swirling noise. Garcia had shaved his beard, cut his hair, and lost about fifty pounds, and that fact, combined with not being able to hear, meant we did not even know if it was actually the Dead onstage. The people seated next to us thought we were watching Quicksilver, who did not play that night. Anyway, the sound gradually improved, and by the cowboy tunes, was excellent, but by the time 'Row Jimmy'was playing, it became staggering, otherworldly, and totally liquid. Seastones played between sets, arching up the effects and quality even more. During the break, I heard something like incredibly beautiful birds twittering in the rafters, and as the lights came up for the second set, I realized it was Garcia playing solo facing his amps. Amazing. I had never heard 'Scarlet' before that night, but I can tell you this, halfway through it I got 'shown the light' in one of the 'strangest of places.' Before or since, I've NEVER witnessed a performance or sound system like that. The Wall of Sound was flat-out the finest use of electricity I've ever witnessed. In fact, I've been attempting to replicate that moment for decades. I get close sometimes with my own system now, but that night made me a Deadhead 4 ever. I am so Grateful to be able to listen back to the shows I attended. How lucky can you be? My appraisal of the show as it stacks up to others; 3 stars. In my personal hit parade? 5 stars+. If I can ever get my time machine working, you will know where to find me.

Listening to this 74 for show for the Dark Star> Slipknot> Stella Blue: https://archive.org/details/gd74-07-25.sbd.miller.12656.sbeok.shnf

Anyone ever see the Wall of Sound? Kind of a toss up to travel back in time and see either a Wall of Sound show or an Acid Test. 

I can raise my hand and say "Yes."  My first proper GD show, just a short time after this Chicago show, 8-6-74 at Roosevelt Stadium.  Ended up being the tour closer.  I say "ended up" because the show was originally scheduled for before the Philly show, but was rained out (while everyone was in the stadium and all chemically tuned up).  Which was fortunate for me, because I had to miss the original date as my family was driving to Pittsburgh for my grandfather's wedding.  We fucking drove right past Jersey City.  Picture a sulking 16 year old in the back seat, furious that all his friends were going to the show while I was stuck going to a family event in Pittsburgh.  I was in a brutal mood.  Being a pre-internet, heck even a pre-telephone setlist era, I had no idea the show was cancelled until I got back home on LI and called my friend with gritted teeth to find out what I missed.  I got the best news ever! Hopefully everyone is familiar with this show, it was a monster. This show was chopped up in a Dick's Pick release, get the soundboard, or the matrix.  A very memorable day and night for me.  Extreme colors.  Garcia without a beard.  Phil with a beard.  The sound was crystal clear and all enveloping.  Every note of the show just dripped.  Spanish Jam in my first show. Fireworks over the stadium during the big jam, with each band member's name in fireworks light lit up around the top of the stadium. You may be able to tell, it made a lasting impression.

I can raise my hand and say "Yes."  My first proper GD show, just a short time after this Chicago show, 8-6-74 at Roosevelt Stadium.  Ended up being the tour closer.  I say "ended up" because the show was originally scheduled for before the Philly show, but was rained out (while everyone was in the stadium and all chemically tuned up).  Which was fortunate for me, because I had to miss the original date as my family was driving to Pittsburgh for my grandfather's wedding.  We fucking drove right past Jersey City.  Picture a sulking 16 year old in the back seat, furious that all his friends were going to the show while I was stuck going to a family event in Pittsburgh.  I was in a brutal mood.  Being a pre-internet, heck even a pre-telephone setlist era, I had no idea the show was cancelled until I got back home on LI and called my friend with gritted teeth to find out what I missed.  I got the best news ever! Hopefully everyone is familiar with this show, it was a monster. This show was chopped up in a Dick's Pick release, get the soundboard, or the matrix.  A very memorable day and night for me.  Extreme colors.  Garcia without a beard.  Phil with a beard.  The sound was crystal clear and all enveloping.  Every note of the show just dripped.  Spanish Jam in my first show. Fireworks over the stadium during the big jam, with each band member's name in fireworks light lit up around the top of the stadium. You may be able to tell, it made a lasting impression.

Wowwwww.

Great show. I wish I could have caught that one. Probably my favorite ever Eyes of the World, and that's just one highlight.

Still, if I could go back in time to Roosevelt Stadium, it would be two years earlier for the 7/18/72 show. Love that one.

Wowwwww.

Great show. I wish I could have caught that one. Probably my favorite ever Eyes of the World, and that's just one highlight.

Still, if I could go back in time to Roosevelt Stadium, it would be two years earlier for the 7/18/72 show. Love that one.

Yes, and the Garcia birthday, 8-1-73 show.  And the 8-476 show, which I also attended.  To say they always played well at that old pit of a stadium is an understatement.

Old interview with Garcia, from Rolling Stone, Jan. 1972:

http://www.jannswenner.com/archives/jerry_garcia_part1.aspx

This quote really struck me: (regarding the San Fran scene) - seems that you could apply that to the post Touch of Grey world. 

The whole thing could happen, but I think the fact that it got desperate – in the sense that economics started to drive everything out, that it was the drawing power formula that worked, those kind of realities, business world realities – and the thing ultimately turned into a merchandising trip. A Show-Biz trip. That wrecked it. That wrecked it for me, anyway.

It likely is. It's one of (if not THE) earliest Betty boards that heads got their hands on, which is (imo) a big reason that show is often noted as "the best" show. That show climbed to fame quickly because most of us had never heard that kind of quality. It IS a great show, but there were a lot of great shows that spring/year....

In the last issue of MOJO they mentioned this as an essential recording.  The wording is "Highlighted by the platonic rendition of the ebullient Scarlet Begonias/Fire on the Mountain pairing, from the heart of an action-packed and well-practiced tour as equally revered as Europe '72, this never-released show is a cornerstone in any Dead collection." 

Not all the clear on what a platonic rendition is exactly...Either way, I'm listening to it now and it does sound pretty damn good. 

Next up for me is 9/11/74, or as MOJO put it "Some of the band's most dizzying on-stage avant-garde improv, the middle of three sets contains an extended jam with collaborator Ned Lagin on E-mu synth and Fender Rhodes that dissolves beautifully into a pair of Garcia's heaviest set-pieces, Eyes of the World and Wharf Rat, followed by a long laugh by Jerry."

Ok, now I gotta go dig out that Roosevelt show. Its prolly been 5 years since I've listened to it.

Seems Pitchfork is even getting in on the Dead hoopla. I follow this writer on twitter and he's got a good music blog, knows his stuff:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/789-invisible-hits-decades-of-dead-garage-psych-in-67/

Aquarium Drunkard has had their Dead Notes thing going for a while:

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2015/06/03/dead-notes-the-printed-word-volume-i/

And a blog I enjoy with a nice Dead compilation:

http://walklikeagiant.blogspot.com/

Anyone going to the July shows?

Me. Guessing my tickets should be coming this week or so.

(Hope he doesn't mind me writing for him) -- but it looks like NoJ is going on the 3rd.

Yep, I didn't lift a finger at all because I wasn't supposed to be in town but now I will be and a miracle ticket landed at my feet yesterday. Crappy seats but it doesn't matter because I tend to wander. Mildly excited.

The earlier chatter about Roosevelt Stadium 8-6-74 caused me to dig through my GD memorabilia and pull out this long piece about the Philly and Jersey City shows from some underground newspaper (they don't have those anymore).  I've saved this all these years and was able to copy to 8 1/2 x 11 and scan it to a pdf., so in case anyone has some extra time (and strong eyes), it's an interesting read, and a good artifact of the times.  Only thing is I can't figure out how to attach the pdf file here, I don't think I can, but I have it if anyone wants it.