I re-watched Set 1 of the Crimson White & Indigo DVD last night  - a show from 7.7.89  -- the above fits Garcia description during the show.

I just listened to all 3 discs of this over the last couple of days, and watched some of the DVD again.  Love this show. I do not for one second sign on to the "Jerry sucked post-'82" or whatever view, but I certainly respect everyone's right to their own opinion.  My opinion is I saw a good number of fantastic shows in the '87-94 period, Jerry included.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup....I'd listen to second set of 10.15.1977 though...or 5.19.1977 second set...

I have listened to 5/19 a bunch over the years --10/15 is not ringing a bell with me though - need to check it out.

I don't own the Dick's Pick 29 --- so I don't think I have ever listened to 5/21/77 before (or least it wasn't on my hard drive until I downloaded it off of etree yesterday) -- the 5/21 2nd set is indeed a great one. Nice Scarlet>Fire to end the 1st set, too.

Full shows for the 30 suns thing:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA

1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA

1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA

1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO

1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT

1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA

1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France

1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA

1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI

1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ

1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI

1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA

1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL

1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY

1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX

1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA

1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME

1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH

1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA

1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME

1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL

1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France

1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY

1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada

1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY

1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA

1995 - 2/21, Delta Center, Salt Lake City, UT

I was in attendance at 3 of these shows:

10/27/79

3/27/93

10/1/94

10/27/79

3/27/93

10/1/94

Nice. Those Cape Cod shows have been favorites for a long while. I only caught the 10.1. 94 BOS and the '88 Oxford from the list....

I'm still a little surprised that there hasn't been another '77 box out this year - containing Cornell - or a box that highlights Betty boards in particular. There was much speculation on dead.net about a so-called "Betty's Box" (a rather unfortunate name, but that is a whole other conversation). I would probably spring for either of those unless the price was out of control.

As for the big 30 shows box, I have never been so glad to not buy something. I was sorely tempted to buy one, burn what I want from it, and list it on Amazon...but so many people had major issues just doing the cc purchase yesterday, I decided I didn't even want to do that. From a variety of standpoints, many long-time fans (on dead.net at least) have expressed dismay that the 50th has been such a total cluster. Oh well.

I'm still a little surprised that there hasn't been another '77 box out this year - containing Cornell - or a box that highlights Betty boards in particular. There was much speculation on dead.net about a so-called "Betty's Box" (a rather unfortunate name, but that is a whole other conversation). I would probably spring for either of those unless the price was out of control.

The Betty Boards for the Cornell 77 show are in the hands of a private collector no? Until that person donates them to the GD (I've read that the GD won't pay for tapes), we won't get an official release. 

I have a 5/8/77 soundboard recording that I was told was a Betty board.

There are stacks of those out there. But - some have not been let loose. You can read a lot about that whole deal in those taper's books. I believe one person was asking a million bucks. 

I have a 5/8/77 soundboard recording that I was told was a Betty board.

It likely is. It's one of (if not THE) earliest Betty boards that heads got their hands on, which is (imo) a big reason that show is often noted as "the best" show. That show climbed to fame quickly because most of us had never heard that kind of quality. It IS a great show, but there were a lot of great shows that spring/year....

Yeah, that'd be a cooler deal if they did sell individual shows....

Speaking of Betty 'boards, got my CRB Betty's Blends Vol. 2 in mail yesterday :)

Listening to the CRB Betty Blends Vol. 2 now on Spotify -- nice They Love Each Other.

The Betty Boards for the Cornell 77 show are in the hands of a private collector no? Until that person donates them to the GD (I've read that the GD won't pay for tapes), we won't get an official release. 

Yep. The speculation on the dead.net site was that Dave was "giddy" because a bunch of Betty boards had been returned. Turns out he was giddy because they are selling a $700 box.

His voice and playing were excellent from 87-90, imo. He was actually moving a lot on stage, smiling, and seemed content and genuinely happy, as well.

i agree with this.  he got used to using his aged voice well and was more alive on stage.  by 95 though his head hung down so low.

10/27/79

3/27/93

10/1/94

10/27/79

3/27/93

10/1/94

What Lammy said! Cape Cod is a killer.

I saw the 6.24.85 Riverbend show - a Top 5 all timer among shows I went to. 

July 7, 1989 was arguably the best show of 1989 (from opening note of set 1 through last note of encore)...

Hard to argue, although the 7/17 show I attended comes close.

Listening to 6/4/78 show this morning -- pretty wild 2nd set from drums onwards. Donna is kinda all over the place during Not Fade Away, GDTRFB, and Around and Around ("Spit it out, Bob!" :lol ).  Sounds like Warren Zevon's opening set was an interesting one. I haven't poked around, but does anybody know if Zevon's set was taped is available anywhere?

Just finished up with the encore -- man, they all were flying high this night. Fun show.

https://archive.org/details/gd1978-06-04.sbd.cantor.miller.94407.sbeok.flac16