New U2 album "Songs of Innocence" available free on iTunes

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard that Apple/U2 are raping the iTunes libraries of all users by physically inserting the mp3s into their collections... is that true?

I think it just shows up under the "Purchased" header. I had to download it before it would play entire songs instead of 45-second previews.

It shows up in your iTunes cloud where you can choose to download it or ignore it. If you don't want it and haven't downloaded it by Oct. 13, it will disappear after then.  Hardly the equivalent of "raping" users.

For those of us who are U2 fans, it's a nice, surprise gift. For those who don't want it, you can treat it like spam and ignore it.

When I first downloaded iTunes, probably 10 years or so ago, it came with several songs that automatically appeared in my library.  I liked some of them and kept them; didn't like others and deleted them.  Didn't find anything offensive about that.

From what I understand, Apple negotiated a deal with U2 whereby Apple purchased a copy of the new album for every iTunes library.  I would not have purchased it, but I was happy to download it for free this morning.  It was not in my library, but it appeared in my iTunes store account as "purchased," and I had to click on it and download it.  What I've heard so far isn't bad--need to give it a few more listens.  Hard to understand the downside to consumers.

As for increasing "sales," whatever.  Everyone from Phish to Neil Young to Tom Petty is now routinely including album "purchases" as part of ticket sales for shows.  With every ticket you get a download code.  Don't see the difference and don't care about sales.  I like the music or I don't, and free is better than the alternative imo. 

U2's new album gets a 5-star review in Rolling Stone

I mean, I'm not gonna backlash and say that it sucks, because it doesn't. It's one of their better albums in a long time.

But, instant classic?

Album of the year?

No.

RS: still sucking corporate cock as eagerly as ever.

U2's new album gets a 5-star review in Rolling Stone

I mean, I'm not gonna backlash and say that it sucks, because it doesn't. It's one of their better albums in a long time.
But, instant classic?
Album of the year?
No.

RS: still sucking corporate cock as eagerly as ever.

Not to get political here, but if corporations have cocks, then they are people!  :headbonk

Actually, I have no problem with calling it an instant classic. It certainly sounds energized and they sound as interested as they ever have.

Not to get political here, but if corporations have cocks, then they are people!  :headbonk

Actually, I have no problem with calling it an instant classic. It certainly sounds energized and they sound as interested as they ever have.

David Fricke? Is that you?

It's kind of funny that you guys are saying this about Rolling Stone. I listened to this album this morning and at first i didnt really like it, then I disliked it, then I hated it and shut if off. And as I was shutting it off I thought to myself "Rolling Stone is giving this no less than a 4, more likely it'll get a 4.5".

i ran into David Fricke a few weeks ago when i was eating lunch outside a restaurant in Hyannis and he walked by on the sidewalk.

I see him a dozen times a year. He is always in the back of a club no matter what the band rocking out. Spoke to him a few times..he is a nice guy.