Although this is a year off, I think it is safe to assume the race will be Clinton and Rubio.  Even the Republicans will have to come to their senses and put up someone who is a regular politician, rather than a sideshow.

LouieB

It will be interesting how the two parties spin the candidates, especially if it is Rubio v Clinton.  It is almost the reverse of 2008.  A older politician with a huge political resume vs a young, energetic, minority senator, with little experience.  In 2008 the Dems thought McCain's age was an issue and now it seems to be an issue with Clinton (as we have already from people on the board).  Whereas the GOP made an issue of Obama's inexperience (and still do).  

Though the election is still a long way away, it seems the GOP has made a move to consolidate the debate process and try to give more focus on establishment candidates.  For as much as the GOP cries that the left is a culture of victimhood they are sure acting like a victims since the last debate.  It just seems like they are crying, "aw the liberal media was mean to us, we'll show them and not invite them to our party any more."  If the GOP candidates can't hack it on tough and admittedly unfair questions, how are they going to deal with it if they do gain control of the White House.    

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubio is their best bet all the way around.  He appears reasonable (although he isn't that reasonable), he is young, and he is Hispanic.  When Hillary picks Julio Castro (did I get his name right) for VP it will give Rubio a run for his money. 

The over riding thing will be that everyone on the right will eventually fall in line and vote for the GOP candidate.  The left is not such a sure thing.  The Bernie fans are going to have to get over their wide eyed optimism (I'm a Bernie supporter but have no illusions of him or where he will eventually end up - not VP) and realize that this election is about more than free college tuition and distribution of wealth.  Clinton may be a slippery character, but clearly the right doesn't care how sketchy their candidates are.  Bite your tongue, hold your nose, and do the correct thing Bernie fans.  This is not about any cult of personality or some imaginary future.  It's about simple governance and the Supreme Court.

LouieB

When Hillary picks Julio Castro (did I get his name right) for VP it will give Rubio a run for his money. 

It's Julian. Former mayor of San Antonio. I live just outside of the city limits, but I'd hate to have him back in my life. His replacement has been much better, so far.

Got my first Robo call of the 2016 election cycle.  It was for Ben Carson, and jesus it about put me to sleep.  Trump is right he is a low energy person.  I can imagine his State of Union Addresses.  Yikes.  

But beyond that Carson says some real crazy stuff.  Not just things I disagree with politically, but some nutty things.   

How is this guy the leading GOP candidate?  

Can't fault him for not wanting to make his son's term any more difficult than necessary -- but yeah, this should have come soon after W left the WH.

This is the sort of thing he could have counseled his son on privately. It didn't have to be public.

He's an outsider candidate and he loves Jesus.

My goodness, Ben Carson has gone off the rails.  If there was a candidate such as him leading the Democratic party, I would be ashamed to be associated with them.  With a lot of the politicians I understand the pandering, and making false statements to garner support.  But it appears that Carson actually believes the stuff he says, (and I am not sure which is more dangerous).  

Take for example his facebook post on why he would make a good president, his outsider status.  Most of it in IMHO is self aggrandizing stuff, but it has a nugget in there that sounds good, but is completely false.  

Every signer of the Declaration of Independence had no federal elected office experience.

Any person who has gone through a 7th grade civics class would know that is untrue.  But Carson now tries to paint himself like our founding fathers.  He is clearly not.  

How did this man become a freaking brain surgeon?