• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, there goes our chance to elect the oldest president in history. 

Bernie Sanders is still running.  

But more to the point does it matter?  Why do you even bring it up?  It is a really silly thing to point out.  There are plenty of reasons to vote for someone but age is not one of them.  But go ahead and make your superficial snide remarks.  

And if there was a republican who was running who was in their late 60s early 70s you would have no qualms about vote for him/her.  Nor would you even make mention of it.

When McCain ran in 2008, was age an issue to you then?  Why is it a problem now?

Hixter, who would you vote for in the Republican primary?

They're so far away that I haven't given it much thought, but Rubio seems to be pretty sharp. Jeb would probably make a good president, but I'm tired of Bushes and Clintons. Whoever gets the nod, I hope he/she picks Ted Cruz to fill Joe Biden's shoes as the VP who says crazy things but is essentially powerless. In addition to the comedic value, it has a secondary benefit -- sort of an insurance policy -- for the president, because no assassin in their right mind would want them to ascend to the presidency.

And if there was a republican who was running who was in their late 60s early 70s you would have no qualms about vote for him/her.  Nor would you even make mention of it.

I guess Back to the Future Day is a good time to make statements based upon alternate realities and mind reading.  :huh

I guess Back to the Future Day is a good time to make statements based upon alternate realities and mind reading.  :huh

Sorry to ask you a hypothetical.  Heaven forbid you actually speculate on something, in order to clarify your opinion.    

But you conveniently ignored the second part of my question, which is not hypothetical.  John McCain was 71 when he ran for president in 2008.  Which would have made him the oldest president.  Did you have an issue with his age back then?  Why now that there is a Democrat who would is in their late 60's is it an issue that you feel needs to be addressed?

Sorry to ask you a hypothetical.  Heaven forbid you actually speculate on something, in order to clarify your opinion.

You didn't ask me a hypothetical, nor did you speculate. You told me what I would do.

And yes, my biggest concern about John McCain was his age. I don't think we need an octogenarian as president.

You didn't ask me a hypothetical, nor did you speculate. You told me what I would do.

And yes, my biggest concern about John McCain was his age. I don't think we need an octogenarian as president.

But you still voted for him right?  

Here is my point, a huge concern is made about age and it is an easy thing to point to when saying someone is unfit for office.  I know 90 year olds who are more vital and aware then some 50 year olds.  

The Democrats used McCain's age against him in 2008, and it was unfair.  And the GOP said as much.  Now that the presumptive nominee is older the GOP is using the same tactics, forgetting what happened 8 years ago.  

You brought up age and you started the conversation, to what end I don't know.  

Is age that much of a factor that you wouldn't for someone just because of age?  

I am still wondering why you brought it up.  

I know 90 year olds who are more vital and aware then some 50 year olds.  

But the vast majority of them are feeble and frail -- and those are the ones who even made it to 90.

I am still wondering why you brought it up.  

It was a wisecrack about a politician who is past his prime, not a definitive proclamation about the merits of our senior citizens.

When McCain ran in 2008, was age an issue to you then?  Why is it a problem now?

It was for me. I was one of the few Iowans to caucus for McCain in 2008, but when he picked Palin as his running mate, I could not pull the trigger for an elderly cancer survivor.

It was a wisecrack about a politician who is past his prime, not a definitive proclamation about the merits of our senior citizens.

But you also made the same crack about Clinton, which I have heard from others as well.

Just seems hypocritical (not necessarily by you) but the right wing media. Unless there is an issue with a candidate's health, age should not be a factor.

Looks like McDreamy blue eyes is going to become Speaker of the House.  Glad he is putting demands so he can see his family.  Too bad he doesn't feel the same way and try to offer those protections to other working families.  

After the absolute disaster that was the Benghazi hearings yesterday, can we all just agree that it is a big waste of time and politically motivated.  It sure did look that way to me.  Clinton came off pretty good during the whole thing and the GOP looked petty and asked some pretty stupid questions.  

Take for example Mike Pompeo (R-Kan) line of questioning:

Pompeo: "Ambassador Stevens didn't have your email, is that correct? Your personal email?"

Clinton: "Yes, that's right."

Pompeo: "Did he have your cell phone number?"

Clinton: "No, but he had the 24-hour number of state operations at the State Department."

Pompeo: "Did he have your fax number?"

Clinton: "He had the fax number of the State Department," Clinton responded.

Pompeo: "Did he have your home address?" he shot back.

Clinton: "No, I don't think any ambassador has ever asked me for that," Clinton said.

Pompeo: "Did he ever stop by your house?"

Clinton: "No, he did not, Congressman."

Yeah ok, good job there Congressman.  

I guess we learned last night who the real villain is, the Liberal Media.  The are so obviously supporting Clinton.  And hey did you see all of those gotcha questions they asked of the poor GOP hopefuls.  

Take question for example:

QUINTANILLA: Senator Cruz. Congressional Republicans, Democrats and the White House are about to strike a compromise that would raise the debt limit, prevent a government shutdown and calm financial markets that fear of – another Washington-created crisis is on the way. Does your opposition to it show that you’re not the kind of problem-solver American voters want?

Obviously out there to make Cruz look bad.  Ask him a question of substance on his record.  I am so glad, instead of answering he went after the question.  Shows real leadership to attack the question rather than answer something that is tough.  

I guess we learned last night who the real villain is, the Liberal Media.  The are so obviously supporting Clinton.  And hey did you see all of those gotcha questions they asked of the poor GOP hopefuls.  

Obviously out there to make Cruz look bad.  Ask him a question of substance on his record.  I am so glad, instead of answering he went after the question.  Shows real leadership to attack the question rather than answer something that is tough.  

To be fair - a moderator should ask an open-ended question, and not such a framed and leading one.

Why not follow up the statement with something like: What do you have to say about your opposition to it? or What does your opposition to it say about your leadership skills?

They're asking a Yes or No question, containing the answer they're looking for, which isn't very informative for the audience. I'd be pissed at the question too.

Cruz is a joke. But I take issue with that question too. It's clearly leading and it's intention is to provoke a reaction, which it got. A better way to phrase it would have been: "Why do you oppose this compromise and what would you offer as a solution to this looming problem as a way to show how can you solve something that concerns many Americans?" Or something to that effect.

The moderating sucked, not because of liberal bias, though I think there were elements of it. The moderating sucked because they had repeatedly stupid questions. I hate Cruz, but thought it was a great opportunity to score valid points. I really want to like Kasich, and expected him to come out a bit more fiery than he did. A big disappointment. Lots of people seem to think Rubio came out ahead, but as people begin to look into his personal finances, any bump he gets will be short-lived. I think this debate did the most for Christie and the least for Carson, Trump, and Bush; especially Trump. He needs to tame things down to be taken seriously, but as he tones down, becomes a helluva lot less interesting and I don't think his poll numbers will ever go back up.

I really want to like Kasich, and expected him to come out a bit more fiery than he did. A big disappointment. Lots of people seem to think Rubio came out ahead, but as people begin to look into his personal finances, any bump he gets will be short-lived. I think this debate did the most for Christie and the least for Carson, Trump, and Bush; especially Trump. He needs to tame things down to be taken seriously, but as he tones down, becomes a helluva lot less interesting and I don't think his poll numbers will ever go back up.

Yeah Kasich started to appeal to my weird, liberal sense of what I want to see in a Republican.  Some kind of classic, 20th century American republican who isn't a total ideologue, and is mostly interested in balancing the budget.  Kind of like McCain before he started courting nutbags, or Bush senior at his most benevolent. Not the showing he was priming for at the debate though.

Rubio has charisma, man.  There have been so many times where I found myself liking him, and then I read about his policies and throw up in my mouth a little.  But he has a likable presence.  He's like a latino Matt Damon. 

Although this is a year off, I think it is safe to assume the race will be Clinton and Rubio.  Even the Republicans will have to come to their senses and put up someone who is a regular politician, rather than a sideshow.

LouieB