• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good question, but being bright (or even a genius) does not preclude someone from having really wacky ideas.  So long as he knew surgery and that was his field, his religious, historical, political, or philosophical beliefs were not part of the equation. 

LouieB

This is a good question, but being bright (or even a genius) does not preclude someone from having really wacky ideas.  So long as he knew surgery and that was his field, his religious, historical, political, or philosophical beliefs were not part of the equation. 

LouieB

But some of his beliefs are horribly inconsistent with his chosen profession.  It does not seem he is at all intellectually curious and he flatly refuses to accept things that are proven scientific fact.  I honestly cannot figure this guy out.  

As a doctor I know he had to take at least one biology class, and while he does not have to agree with the scientifically accepted evolution, he should have at least understood the basics. Because of this I have a lot of trouble with his recent comments about not believing that people are descended from apes, they are not. This is the lazy intellectuals argument to sway the incurious. Evolution has the premise that apes and humans have a common ancestor way back in the past. He knows better.

It certainly matters more for a man like Ben Carson who cloaks himself in religion and want to use his faith as a basis of national policy. If more dishonesty comes out, I think he will go back down in the polls. One of the attractions of Sanders and Trump is that their followers believe they "tell it like it is". 

On another note, I'm really surprised Christie didn't get a bump from the last debate and has even been excluded from the next. I thought he gave one of the strongest, if not the strongest, performances.

A politician who plays fast and loose with the facts? Stop the presses!

No fast and loose with actual verified history.  

And if you stand on a moral ground such as this:

“Lying, I believe, is a grave sin and there’s just no way that I would be sitting here lying about something like this,” Mr. Carson said Friday on Fox News.

It should be noted.  

Far be it from me to defend this guy, but it is possible that he was told he should apply to West Point because he would get a free education (everyone West Pointer does) and that he then extrapolated this out to he was offered a scholarship to the school.  Maybe this story is not the right place to attack him.  He says so many other wacky and more verifiable things, why not just stick with those?

LouieB

Kevin, are you attacking each with the same fervor and glee? If not, outside of your political affiliations, why not?

I have not attacked Dr. Carson on his personal stories.  Nor did I attack Clinton on her sniper story, Brian Williams on his helicopter, Bill O'Reilly on his war stories, and (not that was discussed here) Steve Rannazzisi on his 9/11 story.  I have been pretty consistent when these stories appear, in truth I don't care too much.  It can speak to the person's character, yes, but everyone has exaggerated their personal histories to seem more than they are.  If you go back on my comments about Dr. Carson it was never about his personal stories, it was his demeanor and outlandish comments found fathers, pyramids, etc.  How he uses a false narrative of historical facts to bolster his way of thinking.  I brought up the WSJ article as a larger thread about Dr. Carson to show how quickly the media turned on him.  

I have also quoted Dr. Carson in saying that lying is a sin.  Which is fine to believe that.  But if you are going to stand on that moral ground you better have your facts right.  

It was indeed Hixter that brought up the adage all politicians lie (and the story about Sec. Clinton) as a way to accept Dr. Carson has said.  I merely expressed my desire that those who went after Clinton, and to a great extent Brian Williams, in a similar fashion.  If memory serves it was Hixter who was particularly harsh of Brian Williams.  But as of yet, he has not been critical of Dr. Carson.   

Admittedly I am more quickly to  point out the foibles of Dr. Carson and that is political.  But I do not hold him to a higher standard than Sec Clinton.  

All of the back-and-forth reminds me of how hard it is to be non-partisan in our current political landscape.  While I like having a lens (social-democrat/progressive) I often think I spend as much time wishing for a radical center as a response to our shitty media.  There's so much we don't think about because it doesn't fit the narrative.  I.e:

George W. Bush in practice was relatively soft on illegal immigrants

Barack Obama in practice has been quite harsh on immigrants (at least according to deportation rates), although his policy proposals are different

Bill Clinton was one of the biggest welfare reformers of the last few decades

Bernie Sanders is soft on guns

Rand Paul would like to legislate against abortion, which is a decidedly non-Libertarian approach

Reagan raised taxes

Hillary Clinton may be a hawk in dove's clothing (but I don't have all the facts on that, just something I get from some of her comments)

And can we finally be honest about how the low minimum wage is creating a need for safety net services like food stamps?

Donald Trump doesn't agree:  http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/donald-trump-minimum-wage-215787

Nor Ben Carson:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/10/ben-carson/ben-carson-said-raising-minimum-wage-will-increase/

Rubio agrees but doesn't think we should raise it:  http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/rubio-people-cant-live-minimum-wage-no-increase

So apparently not.

This exchange strikes me as particularly important at this moment in our global dialogue about terrorism.

https://youtu.be/PzusSqcotDw

Cnn anchors look a bit daft here.

Clearly when anchors of a major news organization or elected officials (or those who wish to be elected) cannot understand the distinction between a Religion and the actions of individuals, it makes it extremely hard for the rest of us.