• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading past postings on this thread was what convinced me that guns are here to stay.  Gun owners and the politicians that answer to them are far more powerful than the vast majority of people who want further sensible gun restrictions.  The argument that there are plenty of laws on the books to restrict gun ownership may be true, but as with all ideas coming from the right wing, there is not the will or the support of the federal government (or the funding) to make sure that even the current gun laws can be enforced.  There will have to be a major sea change in this country and a re-interpretation of the second amendment before this shit changes.  Meanwhile keep packing those of you wish to do so and the rest of us can cower and wait to get shot.  That's our only alternative.

LouieB

I agree with Lou. Guns are a part of our nation's DNA, if you will. The fact that having the names of all legal gun owners in a data base is a non-starter, really tells us all that we need to know. We know where the cars are, why can't we know where the guns are?

The fact that having the names of all legal gun owners in a data base is a non-starter, really tells us all that we need to know. We know where the cars are, why can't we know where the guns are?

What would be the purpose of said database?

What is the purpose of registering automobiles? 

To collect money.

Exactly.

Well obviously so that we can know every single person who owns a gun is and then we will have an easier time rounding them all up and throwing them in camps when we finally abolish the second amendment.  

Or you know, help law enforcement track and trace guns that are used in crimes.  Or to help law enforcement track down guns that have been stolen. Kind of similiar to the reason we register cars.  

I think they also register cars so that they can be traced back to the owner if stolen and/or used in a crime. Also cars are registered for insurance proposes, I suppose too - so the state can ensure that the owners have some type of liability insurance.

Curious to know if gun owners have to tell their insurance company that they own a gun, like they do if they own certain dog breeds (for home owner insurance purposes)?

Or you know, help law enforcement track and trace guns that are used in crimes.  Or to help law enforcement track down guns that have been stolen. Kind of similiar to the reason we register cars.  

That would depend on an engraved serial number. Which is easily and typically filed off by criminals, I might add. 

That would depend on an engraved serial number. Which is easily and typically filed off by criminals, I might add. 

Oh yeah that is right, a simple step can side step that plan then.  I guess the same reason why I am not registering my car, I filed down the serial number on the engine block, etc.  Liven free of the tyranny of the DMV! 

So tell me why don't you want your name to be on a registry of gun owners, with the make and models of your firearms?

Maybe making bullets out of rubber is the answer. Might loose a few eyes and many may get bruised and battered - but they probably would survive.

Plus shooters may start feeling foolish spraying a bunch of rubber bullets all around and stop doing it all together.

Companies can still make money, though.

So we need a database of guns to collect money? How does that make us safer or solve gun violence?

We don't need it to collect money. Guns must be registered every year with the state (and federal government for guns), just like a car. You pay a registration fee each year. You also must take a course and pass an exam to have a gun owners license. This must be renewed every few years, just like with automobiles. Every time the gun is legally sold, a title transfer is done with the state/feds, just as with automobiles. The fees raised would be used to improve enforcement of gun laws already codified and to pay for the new government agencies. 

And, it just so happens that we would know where the guns were, in the event that such information was needed.

Curious to know if gun owners have to tell their insurance company that they own a gun, like they do if they own certain dog breeds (for home owner insurance purposes)?

I've never had to do so.

So tell me why don't you want your name to be on a registry of gun owners, with the make and models of your firearms?

It would be an unnecessary waste of tax dollars that wouldn't do a thing to reduce gun crime or save lives.

Canada implemented a long gun registry and, if I remember correctly, dumped it after costs of more than a billion dollars without much benefit.

Embed an ID chip into the gun.

Criminals would remove them as easily as they do serial numbers. And what about the 300 million chip-free guns that already exist?

We don't need it to collect money. Guns must be registered every year with the state (and federal government for guns), just like a car. You pay a registration fee each year. You also must take a course and pass an exam to have a gun owners license. This must be renewed every few years, just like with automobiles. Every time the gun is legally sold, a title transfer is done with the state/feds, just as with automobiles. The fees raised would be used to improve enforcement of gun laws already codified and to pay for the new government agencies. 

And, it just so happens that we would know where the guns were, in the event that such information was needed.

So what would such a plan do, other than adding enormous expense and hassle to law-abiding gun owners' lives? Would drug dealers, street criminals and gang members register their illegal weapons and take safety courses?