• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOD, LOOK AT ALL THE GUNS THAT HAVE BEEN SEIZED!

seriously, don't people bother w/ rational thought these days?

It's an entirely rational concern when a gun that is legal in one state would now earn you a felony in another state. I could walk across the California border with a piece of plastic and a spring (typical AR-15 magazine) and become a felon who would no longer be allowed to own firearms of any kind. Or vote, for that matter.

When President Obama and other politicians point to Australia as an example of how gun control "works" they conveniently leave out the fact that a million firearms were seized. They leave that fact out, but they fully understand that it happened.

Gun sales aren't fueled by fear of terrorists, they're fueled by fear of the government and what it might do concerning guns in the future. That's it in a nutshell.

This is funny.  On one thread you see no problem with big government having a massive surveillance programs aimed at its citizens, and yet on this thread you are afraid of that same big government taking away your guns.  On one you argue that we should trust our brave leaders, on this one that we shouldn't.  Cognitive dissonance?

heston-cold-dead-hands.jpg

You're ok with big government possessing a massive surveillance system but not ok with big government regulating guns?

Yes, I'm ok with the government possessing a massive surveillance system. That's the NSA's whole purpose. Several other acronyms', too. Every government does it. It's important for a nation's safety.

I'm also ok with the government regulating guns, but knee-jerk reactions to mass murders that infringe on our constitutional rights are another story entirely. Don't let bad guys have guns. Don't let drug abusers have guns. Don't let crazy people have guns. Murder is already illegal, so that about covers it. Restrictions on magazine size, so-called "assault weapons" and handguns are just blatant attempts at slowly chipping away at our right to bear arms.

Any examples you can cite from the last 35 years?

I don't really pay any attention to them other than to write a check every few years when the president starts talking about enacting additional laws which will do nothing to solve our gun problems while simultaneously turning me into a felon at the swish of his pen.

Yes, I'm ok with the government possessing a massive surveillance system. That's the NSA's whole purpose. Several other acronyms', too. Every government does it. It's important for a nation's safety.

I'm also ok with the government regulating guns, but knee-jerk reactions to mass murders that infringe on our constitutional rights are another story entirely. Don't let bad guys have guns. Don't let drug abusers have guns. Don't let crazy people have guns. Murder is already illegal, so that about covers it. Restrictions on magazine size, so-called "assault weapons" and handguns are just blatant attempts at slowly chipping away at our right to bear arms.

Understood.  What I don't understand is why you are so focused on the government using a terrorist incident to erode our right to bear arms but not concerned with its efforts to use the same incident to erode our right to privacy and the prohibition against unreasonable searches and seizures.  They both seem like expansion of government power to me.

What I don't understand is why you are so focused on the government using a terrorist incident to erode our right to bear arms but not concerned with its efforts to use the same incident to erode our right to privacy and the prohibition against unreasonable searches and seizures.

The calls for more gun control that come after a school shooting or whatever aren't really related to terrorism as we know it. They are the acts of deranged individuals, not organized terror groups with clearly defined goals. And politicians using them to criminalize law-abiding gun owners in order to be seen as "doing something" doesn't make the nation any safer.

As for the NSA, their programs are vetted by an army of lawyers. They don't just sit down with Verizon and say, "Hey, we want to spy on millions of Americans and we expect you to go along with it." They bring a team of lawyers to meet with a team of Verizon's lawyers and then they hash out a deal where they pay hundreds of millions of dollars for a little metadata. The NSA's programs aren't directed at Americans.

As for the NSA, their programs are vetted by an army of lawyers. They don't just sit down with Verizon and say, "Hey, we want to spy on millions of Americans and we expect you to go along with it." They bring a team of lawyers to meet with a team of Verizon's lawyers and then they hash out a deal where they pay hundreds of millions of dollars for a little metadata. The NSA's programs aren't directed at Americans.

I wish that I could be as peaceful with the program as you are.

https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying

The GOP's rejection of refugees is rooted in a shared virtue: Like all Americans of any political persuasion, they sincerely want to keep America safe. The irony is that it doesn't take into consideration the tried-and-true methods of keeping America safe. First, there is a careful vetting process already in place that has been working for more than a decade.  (To listen to the cable news blowhards, you'd think that the president's plan is to simply open the doors to an unregulated stampede.)  Embracing refugees keeps America safe for several reasons. Research shows that moving refugees far away from the conflict zone results in much reduced chances that they will be radicalized at some point in the future. Additionally, refusal sends the message that America is heartless and condemns all Muslims, which potentially helps radicalize those turned away and confirms for extremists their view of America, aiding in their recruitment efforts.

Is it possible that a terrorist could sneak into the country via the refugee program? Of course. But I'd wager, given the data acquired over the previous decade, that the likelihood is small and that any potential threat is dramatically outweighed by the potential threat created by refusing refugees.

In other words, rejecting the refugees makes us less safe, while accepting them makes us more safe.

In other words, rejecting the refugees makes us less safe, while accepting them makes us more safe.

And it makes us look weak to the rest of the world. Terrorism at its core, wants us to be afraid. To no longer do what is right because of fear. After 9/11 the adage was if we don't do X the terrorists have won. It is clear with the comments and actions of these governors and the GOP leadership the terrorists are winning.

And you know who is still planning to bring in 30k refugees? France. Yeah let's chew on that for awhile.

And it makes us look weak to the rest of the world. Terrorism at its core, wants us to be afraid. To no longer do what is right because of fear. After 9/11 the adage was if we don't do X the terrorists have won. It is clear with the comments and actions of these governors and the GOP leadership the terrorists are winning.

And you know who is still planning to bring in 30k refugees? France. Yeah let's chew on that for awhile.

The other twist is the planners of the Paris attacks weren't from Syria.

But the leader was very active in ISIS activities in Syria and bragged that he traveled freely between Syria and Europe at will. It will be interesting to learn how he was able to do so. It won't do the pro-refugee crowd any favors if it turns out that he was blending in with the wave of people pouring into Europe.