Why is Wilco's vinyl so expensive?

ohqErMAh.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that when Being There was originally released, the band decided not to take any profits from the sale of the album so it could cost as much as a regular record. Also I really want to preorder Star Wars from the Wilco Kung Fu Store to support the band and be entered for the drawings, but I can't support paying $20 for shipping when I should be paying not even half of that.

I hope I'm not being to negative here, I really, really enjoyed Star Wars! I just don't want to pay twice as much as a normal album for it, although the free download is nice. Thank you Wilco!

Update 08/22/15:

I went to Everyday Music today and they're now only charging $24.99 for Being There. I honestly doubt this thread changed anything or that anyone said anything, but Wilco was just in Seattle like a week ago   :worried

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK - I got most of the discography on Amazon for around 25 dollars per - from Amazon so free shipping for prime. Did pay 40 dollars for Being There at a record shop - first edition.

If you have any questions about the price, on the back of my copy of Being There they left an email address - wilcobaby@aol.com

I remember reading somewhere that when Being There was originally released, the band decided not to take any profits from the sale of the album so it could cost as much as a regular record. Also I really want to preorder Star Wars from the Wilco Kung Fu Store to support the band and be entered for the drawings, but I can't support paying $20 for shipping when I should be paying not even half of that.

I hope I'm not being to negative here, I really, really enjoyed Star Wars! I just don't want to pay twice as much as a normal album for it, although the free download is nice. Thank you Wilco

Which shipping option did you choose? I paid $20 for the vinyl (a very reasonable price) and $6.47 for shipping.

Which shipping option did you choose? I paid $20 for the vinyl (a very reasonable price) and $6.47 for shipping.

Same for me as well.

they're charging $47.99 for Being There at Everyday Music in Seattle, WA.

I haven't priced it in my local record store but Being There is only $20 on wilcoworld.

I love Bull Moose Music stores.

Where do you live? I know that they have a few stores in ME. 

They've special ordered Split Enz (Australian Releases) and some harder to find DVDs for me. 

The only Maine store I've been in is the one in downtown Portland. It was next door to a very cool video store that had some rare stuff. I'll have to pay attention to a going out of business sale or they'll move their stock elsewhere. 

A year ago tonight I was at the Portsmouth, NH store before & after TWEEDY played next door at the Music Hall. It's great that they close at midnight. They have a much bigger vinyl selection than the Salem store which is right next to my town in NH. 

I've seen a ton of Wilco vinyl at Bull Moose Records in NH.

They're offering free shipping for orders over $25.

http://www.bullmoose.com/search?q=Wilco&SC=1

They have a preorder for Star Wars @ $19.97

BT, ST, AGIB & SBS are $22.97

W(TA) $19.97

TWL $26.97

A.M. $18.97

KT $71.97

MA I, MA II and MA III $37.97

Holy bajeezus, how does Everyday Music even expect to be able to charge $47.99 for Being There then?

There should literally be a law against price inflation like that.

edit: Those prices are extremely reasonable and what I would expect from a band like Wilco.

The only Maine store I've been in is the one in downtown Portland. It was next door to a very cool video store that had some rare stuff. I'll have to pay attention to a going out of business sale or they'll move their stock elsewhere. 

A year ago tonight I was at the Portsmouth, NH store before & after TWEEDY played next door at the Music Hall. It's great that they close at midnight. They have a much bigger vinyl selection than the Salem store which is right next to my town in NH. 

I was at that TWEEDY show, too. Didn't check out the store next to the Music Hall, though.

Now that I think about it, it is the video store in Portland that is closing - Videoport - not Bull Moose.

If you ask me, $6.47 is still too much to charge for shipping. I sell a ton of records via Discogs and I charge $3.25 to ship LP's domestically via media mail. There's no reason anyone should be charged $6.50.

There are some flagrant examples of overcharging in here, but generally I've found vinyl is more expensive. Years ago CD's were $10-15 and LPs were $12-16. Now most new releases on wax are $18-25. I guess the struggling industry is trying to get more margin out of a committed niche market.

I guess the struggling industry is trying to get more margin out of a committed niche market.

There should be a Record Store Day requirement against that!

But who am I to complain, I guess I should feel lucky that there are still record stores at all. Generally I don't mind paying a little bit more at a record store than I would online or elsewhere, but then again nobody's forcing me to buy an album for more than twice than what the band is charging for it.

I've gotten Wilco for fair prices. But I will say that for some reason, depending on the store, Dylan on vinyl can be expensive. At Euclid Records at Solid Sound they had a lot of cool Dylan, lots of bootlegs too, and there the prices were pretty fair. It's mostly limited to his bigger records, but I've seen some huge markups on Blonde on Blonde. I got BOTT from Euclid, think I paid 20-25.

I've purchased several Wilco records on vinyl and while i cant remember exactly what I paid I've always thought they were very good value - 180 gram vinyl, gatefold cover, cd version tucked inside, poly inner sleeves (I immediately get rid of paper sleeves and replace with poly), and most importantly, very good pressings - nice and quiet.  Just my two cents.

I just picked up The Whole Love and Sukierae from Amoeba Records here in Los Angeles. They were slightly more than I wanted to pay, $28 each. I mean, they are both double LP's on heavyweight vinyl WITH CD's included (which I really appreciate... beats burning discs for the car). So at the end of the day I can justify the expense.

I just went to get a copy of the new Richard Thompson.  At 37 bucks I think I will wait awhile and maybe opt for the CD.  It's not like this is the guy's first record and  probably not even close to his best. I always like supporting the Tweedy produced artists, but getting their LPs is starting to be a very costly proposition.

LouieB

There are some flagrant examples of overcharging in here, but generally I've found vinyl is more expensive. Years ago CD's were $10-15 and LPs were $12-16. Now most new releases on wax are $18-25. I guess the struggling industry is trying to get more margin out of a committed niche market.

the price of vinyl is pretty expensive... i just put out a record that a friend's band did, and though it was small and we didn't have economies of scale, after everything was said and done the cost per LP was about $10. 

Yeah, my band has taken a very small margin on our LP, which is an easier ideal to hold up when you've only invested in a few hundred copies and it's not your job.

The saddest thing is the horrifically slow turn around from the plants. Bigger orders can push things through (like Wilco) but the DIY folks have to wait for half a year.