Why is Wilco's vinyl so expensive?

I opted for a nice cheap deluxe Richard Thompson 2 CD set which came in at less than ten bucks.  I totally understand that vinyl costs more than CDs, that's a given, but the mark-up on this stuff has gotten kind of silly.  I have dozens of Thompson CDs and LPs so this new one on CD will just have to do and considering how rarely it will be played, the CD will be just fine (although it would have been nice on LP.)

LouieB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, That's what buying LPs felt like in 1989 and look what happened.  Lots of CDs are being sold, I have at least two CD players connected to my stereos, a boom box or two and CD player in my car.  Just wait, CDs will be back.

Oh yea, and when Star Wars is finally released so people can buy it, what do you think is going to actually sell more? 

LouieB

I tend to buy CDs rather than mp3 downloads if the price difference isn't more than a couple of dollars. Why? I like to have the booklet, I like to be able to share the music easily with someone else, and I guess I like having the physical copy. Nine times out of ten, though, I add the music to my iTunes and put the CD in a stack, never to be looked at again.

Not really, That's what buying LPs felt like in 1989 and look what happened.  Lots of CDs are being sold, I have at least two CD players connected to my stereos, a boom box or two and CD player in my car.  Just wait, CDs will be back.

Oh yea, and when Star Wars is finally released so people can buy it, what do you think is going to actually sell more? 

LouieB

CDs are dead. Dead format.

comparing LPs to CDs back in the day  when there wasno digital in the mix is a non-starter.

I tend to buy CDs rather than mp3 downloads if the price difference isn't more than a couple of dollars. Why? I like to have the booklet, I like to be able to share the music easily with someone else, and I guess I like having the physical copy. Nine times out of ten, though, I add the music to my iTunes and put the CD in a stack, never to be looked at again.

I always buy CDs.  I never pay for downloads unless that's the only way a release is published.  CDs give me a lossless digital copy that also serves as a physical backup.  They are easier to rip than vinyl and I can do with it as I please.  As long as I have the CD, I always have access to that music.  I can rip it, delete it, and repeat that as many times as I wish. I get art with it.  I get to support my local record stores.  If I grow tired of it, I can sell it an recoup some of my money.  I own that copy.

Vinyl is expensive by comparison to other formats.  However, when adjusted for inflation it's cheaper than it's ever been.

Also, why is Wilco's Star Wars CD in the UK so expensive? Will have to wait a while after release date or go to a shop to see what's what. Eh?

Star Wars

Wilco(Artist)Format: Audio CD

Price: £20.25& FREE Delivery in the UK. Details   Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on August 21, 2015.
Pre-order now.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011WEVPX8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1438162436&sr=1-1&keywords=wilco+star+wars

EDIT 3rd August. They now have a sensible price.

Nowadays most of the vinyl reissues come with CDs anyway. I've got the Wilco discog on CD - because I bought it on Vinyl. I had a few of the CDs already that I had picked up at record stores for a few bucks etc, but gave those away to friends since the ones they send with the record come in a little CD envelope, slimmer than a normal CD case so you can fit more in the center console.

Semi-related, I burned a CD the other day for the first time in who knows how long, it was a Wilco live show, but my car's CD player can't read FLACs so it was a wasted endeavor.

Nowadays most of the vinyl reissues come with CDs anyway. I've got the Wilco discog on CD - because I bought it on Vinyl. I had a few of the CDs already that I had picked up at record stores for a few bucks etc, but gave those away to friends since the ones they send with the record come in a little CD envelope, slimmer than a normal CD case so you can fit more in the center console.

Semi-related, I burned a CD the other day for the first time in who knows how long, it was a Wilco live show, but my car's CD player can't read FLACs so it was a wasted endeavor.

You can decode to WAV files and then burn those files to a cd.

CDs sound really good for a digital audio format invented in the early 80s. If you want quality, vinyl is the only way.

I mostly buy vinyl, but I listen to a lot of mp3s, as do a lot of people who say that cds suck, which is ironic.

Vinyl is pretty much the perfect definition of a luxury item. Music is available at low cost through CDs and downloads and, frankly, piracy. Vinyl may sound better, but I'd say the people who invest a lot of money in vinyl have also invested a lot in high-end audio equipment that would make CDs or even MP3s sound pretty great. I have friends who spend a lot on vinyl and that's cool. I've enjoyed re-living my own pre-digital days. But to complain about the prices of vinyl seems ridiculous. If it's too expensive, don't buy it.

The entire Wilco nation is listening to Star Wars as digital files right this minute.  I also have the Wilco LPs but you can't listen to them on your phone, ipod, car stereo, or boom box.  Having followed the CD vs LP argument for years I still think it is kind of BS.  Yea, I like the way LPs sound too, but a CD played on reasonably good stereo sounds perfectly fine.  Listening to Star Wars on my phone isn't the same as listening to it on a stereo, so I am not really doing it that much (and now know I am totally behind the curve on identifying individual songs).  I guess I can wait a couple months more for the actual release. I'm in the minority on this. 

But regarding the new Richard Thompson album, I feel fine getting the CD and listening to it at home or car and not paying gobs of money for it.  (Same with the new Jason Isbell.)

LouieB

How do WAV files compare to MP3 though? Better? I ended up just making a Spotify playlist of the show I DL'd (converted to MP3) since that's easier to transport than a burned CD.

WAV is the OG

Mp3 is the OC (crap)

LouieB

Definitely the cassette version, if Wilco does it. Most indie releases are starting to come out on cassette again these days, so why shouldn't Wilco?

Cassettes do have hipster cachet, but that's about it. I have bought a few in recent weeks, but they are also not going to be back in any large amounts in the future. 

LouieB

I remember seeing Alvvay's album for sale as a cassette version somewhere and the last few shows I've been to most of the bands were selling their album on cassette. I think they're selling cassettes at Record Store Day now, too.

This board is turning into the Hoffman board - pretty soon we will have to fill out our stereo gear in our profile.

My goal is to put in a record player set up in my basement -- going on year 2 1/2 and still not there, yet. One of these days.

There are great sounding CD's out there (Mofi's/SACDs/DVD-A) - so I don't think it's necessarily the format.

When I bought my used Honda earlier this year, the Honda salesperson said that 2016 Honda's will not have CD players as a standard - just USB ports.