I'm an ocean away, but my heart aches for France and her citizens. I've spent some of the best days of my life in this glorious city and as prepared and braced as I know the French were, still, I can't even imagine how surreal and devastating today must feel to them.

I saw that Danny Miller, Jeff's brother-in-law, had posted a quote from Jeff when Wilco played Le Bataclan (the concert hall that was attacked today) back in May, 2007. From Danny's facebook post:

“'This is our new favorite place to play,' Jeff Tweedy remarked near the end of Wilco’s show at Le Bataclan in Paris, quickly adding, 'in the world.' 

It brings this attack home powerfully to realize that today the band playing was Eagles of Death Metal...but it might just as easily been Wilco, and it might've been some of us in that audience, being slaughtered. It didn't matter what music was playing or who the audience was, the terrorists simply wanted a crowd of innocents in a small space.

Love and heartfelt prayers for all of France, and I share in the anguish of every family who lost a loved one today.

Always heartbreaking when something like this happens. I have a friend who lives in Paris, was relieved to hear him and his daughter are okay.

I heard that something was happening last night but had an early night. Have been digesting the horror this morning. Immediately was reminded of being at Le Bataclan in 2007. Bbop was there too. Also hope it will not cast a shadow over the career of whichever band was playing. Lord Mayors parade in London today. Think it's just about finished now without incident.

Immediately was reminded of being at Le Bataclan in 2007. Bbop was there too.

I was there that night. When I saw the news reports I got that same sickening feeling that I had on 7/7/2005 as I watched bombing victims from Edgware Road station being triaged in the lobby of the hotel my daughter and I had stayed in the previous year.

Cities always bounce back from these horrific attacks and that almost makes things worse because all the blood is shed for essentially nothing.

I just saw an article about some comments Bono made about the attack:

"This is the first direct hit on music that we’ve had in this so-called war on terror or whatever it’s called. It’s very upsetting. These are our people. This could be me at a show. You at a show, in that venue," he said Saturday. "It’s a very recognizable situation for you and for me, and the coldblooded aspect of this slaughter is deeply disturbing and that’s what I can’t get out of my head."

was a little disheartened to read the comments because they focused on Bono turning the tragedy into being about him which means they totally missed the point. My immediate thoughts went to all the things Jeff has said on the spirituality of attending a concert. Le Bataclan, like any music venue, was filled with people from all walks of life who left their differences at the door in order to find common ground in music. It wasn't about politics, religion, nationality, race, sex, orientation, team rivalries or whatever significant or mundane issues that tend to divide people. A concert is a unique opportunity for a large number of people to live in the moment as one and to experience togetherness despite their differences and that's a rare and magical thing these days. As band after band cancels their upcoming shows, Paris is now losing something it could really use it while it heals. 

I'm not suggesting that the attacks on the other sites on Friday, or any terrorist attacks, were any less significant than the one at the concert hall. Like Donna and others have said above, this just strikes close to home because it happened in the type of place that I not only frequent but consider sacred. My thoughts and heart are with the hundreds of families mourning in Paris and around the world.

I'm scheduled to travel to Spain next week to visit my daughter who is studying there this semester..  Part of me wants to cancel (for safety reasons).  Am I crazy to go?

I'm scheduled to travel to Spain next week to visit my daughter who is studying there this semester..  Part of me wants to cancel (for safety reasons).  Am I crazy to go?

I had to fly 2 1/2 weeks after the 9/11 attacks and I almost cancelled but everyone kept pointing out how security was going to be overwhelming and that I'd be OK. I have a feeling security in Europe is beyond crazy right now but I totally get the trepidation and I don't know what I would do. If you let them come between you and your daughter, the terrorists win but is a visit worth the risk? Ugh!

Kinda the point of terrorism is to cause irrational terror and fear in people.  Right after 9/11 there was the saying "if we don't do X then the terrorist have won." Simplistic and kinda stupid, but it does ring true.

Who is to say you are more likely to be caught in the middle of a terrorist attack when you go to Spain next week, or if you go to the mall on Black Friday (which is a fear I have heard people talk about).  Or heck even when you go to the local Starbucks, you are subject to a possible terror attack/mass shooting/riot/being hit by a bus etc.  It is the life we live in.    

Don't let fear take over you life.  Go to Spain, visit your daughter.  You will have an amazing time.  I am sure your daughter and you will appreciate the time spent with family.  Which if the events of Friday have taught us anything is family, friends, and community are the most important things in life.  Don't waste an amazing opportunity because of this tragedy.      

Don't let fear take over you life.  Go to Spain, visit your daughter.  You will have an amazing time.  I am sure your daughter and you will appreciate the time spent with family.  Which if the events of Friday have taught us anything is family, friends, and community are the most important things in life.  Don't waste an amazing opportunity because of this tragedy.      

So well said, Kevin!!!

• 2 weeks later...