Star Wars Thread Brimming With Spoilers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.

Not even one word uttered by Luke Skywalker???? Really????

Loved the movie. That bit didn't bother me.

Loved that Rylo Ken couldn't control his emotions. That's what the dark side is about, right?

Some nit picks: (they really didn't bother me)

what's with Finn weilding a light saber pretty effectively from the get go?

What was with the anti-light saber baton?

Why would they need to shoot a star's energy outwardly? Wouldn't the act of destroying a star pretty much screw the orbiting planets already?

Capt Phasma turning handing over the keys because she doesn't want to get shot???

I think Rey will turn out to be Kylo Ren's sister. 

Nope.  Han and Leia did not recognize her (and you would think they would).  Or if you go the route she was taken at young age (and Han and Leia was told she was dead or something) force sensitive Leia would know that she was still alive or something.  There would have to be some prequel level idiocy to have that happen.   

They're the only black dudes in the Star Wars universe.

Jedi Master Mace Windu might have something to say about that.

Rey is Luke's daughter - this one is obvious.

I hope not.  I really want Rey to be something different, or from someone different (other then the big 3) in the Star Wars Universe.  My prediction she is the daughter of one of Luke's Jedi trainees (who were killed by Ren).  

Nope. Han and Leia did not recognize her (and you would think they would). Or if you go the route she was taken at young age (and Han and Leia was told she was dead or something) force sensitive Leia would know that she was still alive or something. There would have to be some prequel level idiocy to have that happen.

Jedi Master Mace Windu might have something to say about that.

I hope not. I really want Rey to be something different, or from someone different (other then the big 3) in the Star Wars Universe. My prediction she is the daughter of one of Luke's Jedi trainees (who were killed by Ren).

I read somewhere that the intention of each trilogy is to focus on a member of the Skywalker family.

Being that the light saber in question has only been owned by a Skywalker so far, makes sense that it would call out to one of them.

Apologies to the Windu clan.

just saw it a second time.  still fantastic.

for those who were not moved by this movie or were put off because it shadowed some plot points from A New Hope, I am curious if you watched the original A New Hope as a kid or at a later time?

I read somewhere that the intention of each trilogy is to focus on a member of the Skywalker family.

Being that the light saber in question has only been owned by a Skywalker so far, makes sense that it would call out to one of them.

Apologies to the Windu clan.

Read a theory that Rey might be descended from Obi-Wan, which is interesting and could explain a lot.

For the most part, it was entertaining and fun. But...

It felt like Abrams/Disney took the safest route possible. It felt to me like this film was made to show a new audience how cool Star Wars was. A new set of diverse characters along with a strong female lead was step 1. Sticking to the template of A New Hope and sprinkling in ideas from the original trilogy was step 2.

The number of specific scenes and ideas from the original trilogy is very high. And embarrassing. Also, people can say what they want about Lucas, but the guy knew how to assemble a team to create some amazing worlds and characters. Besides BB8.....who was incredibly cool...I didn't see a fraction of the creativity that I saw in all 6 previous films.

Though not a bad ride to sit through, I was mostly let down.

Nope.  Han and Leia did not recognize her (and you would think they would).  Or if you go the route she was taken at young age (and Han and Leia was told she was dead or something) force sensitive Leia would know that she was still alive or something.  There would have to be some prequel level idiocy to have that happen.   

Or they had reasons for not revealing the truth like Kenobi to Luke. And why should Leia's force sense be stronger than Vader's who never recognized her as his daughter.
just saw it a second time. still fantastic.

for those who were not moved by this movie or were put off because it shadowed some plot points from A New Hope, I am curious if you watched the original A New Hope as a kid or at a later time?

I was one year old when the first one came out. I wasn't not moved and I wasn't put out by the strong similarity to previous plots and themes, but I do hope the next two movies distance themselves from the original trilogy more than this first one did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

but I do hope the next two movies distance themselves from the original trilogy more than this first one did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with that, and think they will. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but I tend to think that this first extension was a bit of an homage and a set up of the new characters, so that he can really make some leaps forward in the installments that follow.

Or they had reasons for not revealing the truth like Kenobi to Luke. And why should Leia's force sense be stronger than Vader's who never recognized her as his daughter.

im trying to think of scenes of Vader and Leia together. If there are any beyond Ep IV, I can't recall them. Vader didn't recognize her as his daughter because Lucas hadn't gotten that far with his plot mapping.

Episode V. Cloud City. Han, Leia, et. al. held as bait for Luke. No dialogue between Leia and Vader that I recall. Vader had no idea until the climactic fight with Luke in episode VI. My point is if you follow the logic that there are no secrets to those who are strong with the force, you will find billions of inconsistencies and plot gaps.

I can't see Luke reproducing if he had any knowledge of how Anakin's relationship with Padme helped lead him to the dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Episode V. Cloud City. Han, Leia, et. al. held as bait for Luke. No dialogue between Leia and Vader that I recall. Vader had no idea until the climactic fight with Luke in episode VI. My point is if you follow the logic that there are no secrets to those who are strong with the force, you will find billions of inconsistencies and plot gaps.

Ah.

Interesting theories here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/star-wars-theories-the-force-awakens_567edfbce4b0b958f65981bd

Finally saw this yesterday. Came here to post about how it was such an obvious remake of episode IV but I see that's been done already.

It was a good film, fully enjoyable -- and yet a completely wasted opportunity to try to make something great. They took the safe route, executed it well, and are set to make billions of dollars. Success.

I saw it for a second time today. I think I liked it better than the first time. I caught some little things that I missed the first time, and I paid more attention to some of the minor characters this time around. I took one of my daughters, who is not a big SW fan. She really liked it. She says she is definitely going to see the next one. Consider her hooked.

It was fun.  Some of the effects were cool...Ren's voice.  The chemistry and humor was great.  JJ is not really creative, he's a MOR storyteller, TV director and Disney has a formula.  That's the way it will be.  Bad guy, bigger bad guy, good guys, raise many questions that will never be answered etc. I was hoping for this great masterpiece, but that was never gonna happen.  The first movie isn't even a masterpiece, is it?

It was fun. 

You know the biggest criticism I heard about VII is that is was an obvious remake of IV.  I think it was necessary that Abrams made a movie that reminded us of why we all fell in love with Star Wars in the first place.  In the eye of the public Lucas practically killed Star Wars with the prequels.  By his own admission they were radically different from IV through VI.  He clearly did not care about fan service and made the movie he wanted to make.  When the first major bit of dialog in the prequels was about trade negotiations you know you are not going to get the same story that everyone loved.  Abrams made a movie that a fan would love.  There were times when the movie reminded me of my own youth when I would make up stories with my Star War Action figures.  Abrams really is just a kid that has the ultimate Star Wars playset and showed it to the world.

I think the Eps VIII and IX will be different.  Also I think the one offs will be radically different.  I am really looking forward to the Rogue One Movie and cautiously optimistic about the Han Solo movie (mainly because of Chris Miller and Phil Lord, who have done no wrong in my book).  So the remake is a valid criticism, but I think if the movie had been radically different and didn't pull on the those nostalgia strings it would not be as well received.  Eps VII is the Star Wars movie we needed.  Now if VIII ends up with Fin frozen in carbonite and Rey getting her leg chopped off we will have a problem, but for now, I have no issue with remake aspect.  Also it is not like the Original Trilogy was groundbreaking in storytelling.    

It was fun.  Some of the effects were cool...Ren's voice.  The chemistry and humor was great.  JJ is not really creative, he's a MOR storyteller, TV director and Disney has a formula.  That's the way it will be.  Bad guy, bigger bad guy, good guys, raise many questions that will never be answered etc. I was hoping for this great masterpiece, but that was never gonna happen.  The first movie isn't even a masterpiece, is it?

It was fun. 

Ren's voice was a highlight. That sounds funny (no pun) but it is true - the effects on his voice were fantastic.

My brother-in-law is a second A.D. in Hollywood. He's worked for Christopher Nolan on a number of projects including the last two Batman pictures. He thought Ren's voice was a better version of what they were trying to achieve with Bane in the last Batman.

You know the biggest criticism I heard about VII is that is was an obvious remake of IV.  I think it was necessary that Abrams made a movie that reminded us of why we all fell in love with Star Wars in the first place.  In the eye of the public Lucas practically killed Star Wars with the prequels.  By his own admission they were radically different from IV through VI.  He clearly did not care about fan service and made the movie he wanted to make.  When the first major bit of dialog in the prequels was about trade negotiations you know you are not going to get the same story that everyone loved.  Abrams made a movie that a fan would love.  There were times when the movie reminded me of my own youth when I would make up stories with my Star War Action figures.  Abrams really is just a kid that has the ultimate Star Wars playset and showed it to the world.

I think the Eps VIII and IX will be different. 

I watched Jurassic World last night and good gravy, if that's why they hired Tom Tomorrow or whatever his name is to direct, then Episode IX is going to be the ultimate SW fan fiction orgasm to end the trilogy. Which makes sense, because that means VIII, with the edgy choice of Rian Johnson at the helm, will mirror/ape Episode V.