Star Wars Thread Brimming With Spoilers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won a ticket from Bull Moose Music to see it in IMAX 3-D last night. I have seen all of the movies, but am not a rabid fan. There were some rabid fans there last night. Lots of hootin and hollerin during the movie (at appropriate times, though). It's a crowd pleaser and will make loads of dough.

I absolutely loved it and was (slightly) disappointed for the same reason: It fully transported me back to my childhood, because it felt like a remake of Episode IV, but it also felt a bit like a retread, because it felt like a remake of Episode IV, with parts taken from the other movies, too.

Loved the old cantina scene? Here's a variation! Loved the old scene with Kenobi being cut down in front of helpless onlookers? Here's a variation! Loved when Vader used the Force Choke? Here's a variation! Loved when Luke used the Force to grab his lightsaber from the ice? Here's a variation! Loved the old scene where the Death Star is attacked? Here's a variation!  Loved the scene where an old Jedi master is discovered living as a hermit?  Here's a variation!  And so on, echo after echo, both small and large. Nearly the entire movie felt like it took apart Episode IV and re-assembled its parts in new ways. In that sense, it's similar to Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness, which re-assembled The Wrath of Khan. Those echoes are fun, but it also prevents the movie from soaring as its own new story that can surprise and thrill on its own terms.

But I'm not complaining. This is the Star Wars movie I needed. I think the fans who were burned by the prequels needed a straight-up nostalgia trip to restore faith, and Star Wars has always relied on recurring themes, images, and motifs (especially those involving fathers/sons and lost hands). Abrams has certainly pressed all the right pleasure centers, managed to stay true to the personalities of Han, Luke, and Leia, and managed to skillfully introduce new characters that we care about and will learn to love as much as that original trio. Perhaps a nostalgia trip, despite its limitations, is the perfect way to transition into a new cycle. And now that we've put the transition behind us, we have all the right pieces in place for the next entry, which can operate freely and hopefully innovate beyond simply recycling memories to re-assure fans that Star Wars doesn't suck anymore.

Speaking of father and son stuff, I think my favorite moment was early in the movie when my 7-year-old son gasped and said, "Dad, that was the Wilhelm Scream!" Indeed it was, quiet but sure. Cool kid, I have.

Daisy Riddley, a star is born. She's spectacular. Adam Driver also brought it.

I love the feminist edge, the storm trooper deserter, the family tragedy myth continued. The only retread piece that interrupted my reverie was Death Star 3.0.

All that said this is arguably the best looking Star Wars film.

Loved the old cantina scene? Here's a variation! Loved the old scene with Kenobi being cut down in front of helpless onlookers? Here's a variation! Loved when Vader used the Force Choke? Here's a variation! Loved when Luke used the Force to grab his lightsaber from the ice? Here's a variation! Loved the old scene where the Death Star is attacked? Here's a variation!  Loved the scene where an old Jedi master is discovered living as a hermit?  Here's a variation!  And so on, echo after echo, both small and large. Nearly the entire movie felt like it took apart Episode IV and re-assembled its parts in new ways. In that sense, it's similar to Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness, which re-assembled The Wrath of Khan. Those echoes are fun, but it also prevents the movie from soaring as its own new story that can surprise and thrill on its own terms.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the movie, but it was basically a remake of Ep IV. Hoping it's setting the table for breaking some new ground in VIII and IX.

But I'm not complaining. This is the Star Wars movie I needed. I think the fans who were burned by the prequels needed a straight-up nostalgia trip to restore faith, and Star Wars has always relied on recurring themes, images, and motifs (especially those involving fathers/sons and lost hands). Abrams has certainly pressed all the right pleasure centers, managed to stay true to the personalities of Han, Luke, and Leia, and managed to skillfully introduce new characters that we care about and will learn to love as much as that original trio. Perhaps a nostalgia trip, despite its limitations, is the perfect way to transition into a new cycle. And now that we've put the transition behind us, we have all the right pieces in place for the next entry, which can operate freely and hopefully innovate beyond simply recycling memories to re-assure fans that Star Wars doesn't suck anymore.

Very much agree with all of this.  I teared up more than once in this movie, and it's because I just left all my grown-up stuff at the door and sat in that theater like a kid and enjoyed the ride.  It was fantastic.  

Those echoes are fun, but it also prevents the movie from soaring as its own new story that can surprise and thrill on its own terms.

I'm grateful I didn't have this perspective while watching the movie (and it seems to be a fairly wide-shared opinion/view).  I thought the familiar plot devices were cleverly done and sort of homage-ish, and I felt like I was seeing a new story at the same time.

Because of how unengaging I found the prequels, I was fully expecting to struggle with adapting to new characters, but I became invested in all the new people.  That was a huge hurdle for Abrams and I think he excelled.  

Beltmann unsurprisingly nailed my takeaway from the movie. I walked away exhilarated and at the same time thinking this film's script could probably have been shopped around Hollywood in 1978 looking to be picked up by a low-rent production company hoping to cash in on the SW craze. No matter: I still can't wait to see it again.

I assume the Wilhelm Scream was from a stormtrooper?

Absolutely did not fulfill the hype.  The new heroes are fun and the humor was great.  However, it was a completely missed opportunity.  Watered down like any corporate takeover project.  That last scene.  I was cracking up!

If you play a Replacements album on the way back from seeing Star Wars, your 4-year-old grandson might start singing "Gary's got a Boner."

I figured he'd forget it, but 10 minutes later I asked him what Gary had and he replied correctly.

I'm a bad grandpa.

Absolutely did not fulfill the hype.  The new heroes are fun and the humor was great.  However, it was a completely missed opportunity.  Watered down like any corporate takeover project.  That last scene.  I was cracking up!

I agree with this. Saw it yesterday (I had only seen the first-third ones, year-wise) and thought some of the acting was weak and the script fluffy. No doubt an entertaining film and worth the 2 hrs or whatever it was but I might have enjoyed the Goose Bumps movie we took the kids to a few weeks ago better....

I'm not sure when I will get around to seeing it. Would like to this weekend.

I didn't see the first one right away either - took my sweet time. I remember the Star Wars trading cards that would come with a load of Wonderbread. Those definitely piqued my interest. The Burger King glasses did too. I'm pretty sure that the first time I saw it, I waited in the dark theater and watched it all over again. I can't remember if I did that on the initial viewing, or if I did it when saw it the 2nd/3rd time a week or so later. I was 8 years old.

I never collected a single action figure, but I think I had some kind of mini die-cast TIE fighter, and a mini die cast X-wing too.