Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here's my favorite fantasy. The thing is, I believe it could actually happen. Stanger things have happened this entire election year.

We now know that Clinton won the popular vote, but because of the way the electoral college is constructed, Trump has won the election. Fair enough, I guess--we knew the rules going in. (Side issue: THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!)

But electors can become "faithless electors" on December 19 and cast their vote for Clinton rather than Trump. Is it likely that they would do this? Not at all, as things stand now.

But what if something truly egregious were to be divulged before December 19 that would cause the general public to turn against Trump and/or be an impeachable offense? (And yes, I know that all sorts of horrible things have already been revealed and it doesn't seem to have affected his supporters.) I'm talking about something even worse--an incest revelation? a rant involving the N word? a huge tax violation? The possibilities are endless and with this scumbag nothing would truly surprise me, not even an assassination.

So in that scenario, the electors would really be casting their vote for Pence, not Trump. Isn't it possible that the public conscience--what's left of it--would be so outraged that there would be a groundswell of support for electors turning faithless and voting for the candidate who actually won the popular vote, rather than the vice presidential candidate? 

I know this is the very definition of a Hail Mary pass, but it also seems like the only scenario that might actually prevent this catastrophe from taking place. Anybody else have fever dreams like this going through their panicked minds?

You don't think the ensuing riots and/or civil war wouldn't be a catastrophe? 

Or does your fantasy also include everyone accepting this fate with a smile on their face?

I think they would be of limited duration and survivable. I'm honestly not sure a Trump presidency will be survivable. 

The thing is, I've talked with a few Trump voters personally--and listened to more in the media--and I honestly believe many of them had no fucking idea in the world that he would actually win. I think it was a protest vote--a cry to be heard--but now that we are seeing what an utter fool he is, I think his support is actually eroding. Of course there would be repercussions, but I don't think they would be fatal to the republic.. 

Since Nov 8?

His favorability rating is rising. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-popular-poll-231694

My best guess? It's kind of like the advice to women: If rape is inevitable, just lie back and enjoy it. People may be answering polls figuring that this travesty is also inevitable so they're trying to put the best face on it. 

OK, here's my favorite fantasy. The thing is, I believe it could actually happen. Stanger things have happened this entire election year.

We now know that Clinton won the popular vote, but because of the way the electoral college is constructed, Trump has won the election. Fair enough, I guess--we knew the rules going in. (Side issue: THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!)

But electors can become "faithless electors" on December 19 and cast their vote for Clinton rather than Trump. Is it likely that they would do this? Not at all, as things stand now.

But what if something truly egregious were to be divulged before December 19 that would cause the general public to turn against Trump and/or be an impeachable offense? (And yes, I know that all sorts of horrible things have already been revealed and it doesn't seem to have affected his supporters.) I'm talking about something even worse--an incest revelation? a rant involving the N word? a huge tax violation? The possibilities are endless and with this scumbag nothing would truly surprise me, not even an assassination.

So in that scenario, the electors would really be casting their vote for Pence, not Trump. Isn't it possible that the public conscience--what's left of it--would be so outraged that there would be a groundswell of support for electors turning faithless and voting for the candidate who actually won the popular vote, rather than the vice presidential candidate? 

I know this is the very definition of a Hail Mary pass, but it also seems like the only scenario that might actually prevent this catastrophe from taking place. Anybody else have fever dreams like this going through their panicked minds?

At this point there is nothing this man could do to stop him from becoming president.  Like he said he could shoot someone and his approval numbers could go up.

Trump loyalists are so ingrained that their media is the only one that tells them the truth, that even if he shot someone one fifth avenue, while getting a BJ from Ivanka, simultaneously giving a Nazi salute, and taking money from foreign investors, the far right media would tell its followers that he was doing it for the good of American and just trying to make it great again.  

Trump voters got suckered, they will continue to get suckered in believing in this man.  He does not have America's interest in his mind.  He is only looking out for number 1.  The Donald.  

Do me a favor and scratch this one from the record.  It detracts from your point and adds unnecessary crappyness.

It wasn't the best or most apropos phrase--it was just the first thought that came to me, having heard somebody say it recently. I was trying to convey that there's a tendency for people to say, well, I guess there's no turning back now, so let's make the best of it. 

It wasn't the best or most apropos phrase--it was just the first thought that came to me, having heard somebody say it recently. I was trying to convey that there's a tendency for people to say, well, I guess there's no turning back now, so let's make the best of it.

Sure, I get ya. I shouldn't be the speech police, it just hit my eyeballs hard and I know you're a nice person.

Either way we know it's a metaphor/ assume good intentions et al.

I predict there will be a small handful of faithless electors, or maybe just one or two, but nowhere close to enough to matter.

I think the count is up to 7.  

Funny thing is, the electoral college was specifically put in place so that it would stop an unqualified person becoming president.  As the constitution was originally written they had a lot of barriers to having direct representation elected by the people.  Really only the House was intended to be a true democratic representation.  The founders were a bunch of elitists and really didn't trust the common folk to elect the right type of people to run this country.  Heck, when the constitution was written you had to be white, male and a property owner to vote.  

The United States was never intended to be a democracy.  It will never be a democracy.  

• 2 weeks later...

Man I love you Joe, you are probably one of the best political minds every, but you should have run for president in 2016 not wait until 2020.  

If you think high ranking Dems weren't wary of going to war with the Clinton machine...

They all knew the position (and superdelegates votes) were already spoken for.

Man I love you Joe, you are probably one of the best political minds every, but you should have run for president in 2016 not wait until 2020.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-run-2020_us_5846c4aee4b055b313992725

A 78 year old man will not get the youth vote.

He would be running against a (visibly unhealthy and getting worse) 74 year old.

Hixter's final sentence in his final (?) post:

Security at our southern border is a joke. And so is the government's efforts to improve the situation. Something needs to change, and there are enough Americans who feel the same way that Donald Trump might find himself residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January.

i guess there *were* enough!

Hixter's final sentence in his final (?) post:

i guess there *were* enough!

I think everyone who voted Trump will soon be singing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b6A9yzJP20

I mean really how many of his campaign promises has he walked back on?  

It is clear that that this man is only president for one person and that is himself.  

It is clear that that this man is only president for one person and that is himself.  

You'd think he'd wait until at least inauguration day +1 to start reneging on his promises...

Make hay while the sun shines?

He hasn't walked back enough. It's really just the Lock Her Up that he's backed out of, right? He hasn't backed off climate change being not an issue or immigration.

He wasn't walked back enough. It's really just the Lock Her Up that he's backed out of, right? He hasn't backed off climate change being not an issue or immigration.

He's more or less abandoned the wall part of his platform. Also he went from draining the swamp to offering positions to swamp monsters.

I agree though, about the climate change stuff. That's probably the most important issue and he stands to do a lot of damage.