Any other Cure fans out there? I just bought a ticket from a broker for the show @ the Cosmopolitan in Vegas in May. I have been waiting at least 25 years to see the Cure & they are about the last band I really need to see & haven't. I've been cursed with various reasons for missing them before. I've actually had tickets. It wasn't looking good for this tour either. They are skipping Seattle & playing the Sasquatch festival. Really expensive & a really long drive. I'm not in a position health wise to do a multi day festival, especially one where the lineup isn't exactly stellar for 4 days. I'm quite excited! The venue in Vegas is good (3 or 4 thousand capacity) & the sound is great. No festival short sets or curfew issues. Really looking forward to it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have never seen the Cure, but I would very much like to.  Maybe it will work out this time.

They're always incredible live. I saw them twice during their last American tour, and they were phenomenal. How Robert Smith's voice can possibly be as strong as it was 30 years ago is mind-boggling.

40 plus years now!! Yes saw all three MSG shows last tour I can’t wait for them to come back!

Posted Images

I am seeing all three MSG shows. I love The Cure only slightly less than Wilco. I have seen them probably 7 or 8 times and their shows are marathons. Do not leave until the lights come on they sometimes play 4 encores! Their shows are usually about 3 and half hours long and about 40 songs and they are great about mixing up the setlist and playing album themed encores.

I'm a fan, as is my wife (she's probably a bigger fan).  Going to try to see the Boston show, don't have tickets yet.  I've seen them several times, but not for many years.  First time I saw them must have been 1980 or very early '80's, in a tiny club in Boston (actually Allston/Brighton) called the Underground.  Boys Don't Cry was out, which I see was released in the US in August '80. Probably only a couple hundred people tops in the Underground that night.

the tickets for Agganis sold out very, very quickly.

a friend who got shut out for presale and regular sale went Stub Hub.

just be prepared for steep prices.

very much love the Cure.  I wish they could get Reeves Gabrels to turn down the gain a bit in his signal though.  It really throws me off to hear that much gain in Cure material.  

when did Reeves join the band? I guess that Thompson left?

the tickets for Agganis sold out very, very quickly.

a friend who got shut out for presale and regular sale went Stub Hub.

just be prepared for steep prices.

when did Reeves join the band? I guess that Thompson left?

I tried getting Agganis tix the moment they went on sale, couldn't ever get through.  My only way is StubHub, I've been looking but waiting to see if prices come down, probably wait until day of the show.

Seeing them in Chicago -- looking forward to it. Only saw them at a Lolla a few years back --- great show, but I am looking forward to seeing them indoors in a somewhat small place (UIC Pavilion).

I think they are having an opener, so I am guessing it is not going to be a 3 1/3 hour show this time around - but could be wrong about that.

The show I'm seeing is being opened by the Twilight Sad. Is that a perfect name for a band opening for the Cure or what? I noticed the start times are all early though. The Vegas show starts at 7 & many of the other shows. So, long shows aren't out of the question. Reeves Gabrels has been in the band a few years. Really like that guy. Saw him with Bowie several times.

Yep! Got general admission floor tix for both NOLA shows. I saw them in NOLA in 1996, and it's still the best show I've ever seen. I'm not nearly the fan I once was, but for nostalgia's sake I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

The show I'm seeing is being opened by the Twilight Sad. Is that a perfect name for a band opening for the Cure or what? I noticed the start times are all early though. The Vegas show starts at 7 & many of the other shows. So, long shows aren't out of the question. Reeves Gabrels has been in the band a few years. Really like that guy. Saw him with Bowie severaly times.

The Twilight Sad are opening for them in Chicago, too ---- hopefully it will be one of those long shows, but there always seems to be a stupid 11 pm curfew at most of the venues in Chicago and it's a 7:30 start.

I enjoyed watching and hearing Reeves play at Lollapalooza -- I didn't realize was in the band at the time, so I was surprised to see him on stage. At times I thought he overplayed a bit -- but it was decent.

What is the full lineup of the band these days?  Am I correct to assume Robert Smith is the only original member?

EDIT:  I found the answer easy enough.  Simon Gallup is still in the band as far as I can tell.  He's about as close to an original member as one can get.

Roger O'Donnell on keyboards has been involved off & on for a long time & the drummer has been in the band 20 years now. The current line up is pretty strong. I liked Porl Thompson plenty but really like Reeves Gabrels. Saw him with Bowie several times. Should be a great show as the Twilight Sad are pretty interesting, too.

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to report that the Cure concert I saw in Vegas was fantastic. They are really great this tour. 30+ songs over 3 hours. They are playing stuff that hasn't been played since the 1980s & 2 new songs. Setlists are changing nightly. Reeve's Gabrels on guitar is stunning & Robert Smith seems to be enjoying himself. If you get the chance, go!

the Houston show was impressive.  These setlists are impressive.  I would do without the 4 encores...

I am probably in the minority on this one but I think Reeves is a really bad fit for this band.  No doubt he's a talented player but his massively overdriven, saturated, distorted tones and trem-bar antics just don't fit the material in my opinion.  

the Houston show was impressive.  These setlists are impressive.  I would do without the 4 encores...

I am probably in the minority on this one but I think Reeves is a really bad fit for this band.  No doubt he's a talented player but his massively overdriven, saturated, distorted tones and trem-bar antics just don't fit the material in my opinion.  

That was my take away when I saw them at Lollapalooza a couple of years ago -- still a great show, but Reeves was a bit overpowering at times.

I took this shot of Robert Smith during the opening night of this tour in NOLA. If you are or ever were a fan of The Cure, then I highly recommend attending one of the shows during this tour if you can. 

13102795_10206261537072771_9085396491402698323_n.jpg

I thought Reeves' contribution on "Disintegration" was really stellar. "Never Enough" was amazing, too. Other highlights for me were "Burn"(!), "A Forest" & the opening of the show which was the first 3 songs of "Distintegration". They ended up doing 6 songs from that album but the set was a really nice career retrospecitve. Robert seemed to be really enjoying himself. They only did 1 of the new songs in Vegas but I have heard  both. Makes me wish for a new album with this lineup. Reeves is 1 of those guys who you really like or you really don't. It was the same when he was with Bowie. I liked him then, too.

I took this shot of Robert Smith during the opening night of this tour in NOLA. If you are or ever were a fan of The Cure, then I highly recommend attending one of the shows during this tour if you can. 

nice picture!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kicking myself for not purchasing tickets to the Boston show. I wasn't sure what to expect. I asked when tickets went on sale "Are they really going to do 3 hour shows again?" I'm loving the setlists. They really treat their fans well.

I've only seen them three times (00, 04, 08). I went back and listened to their whole catalog which had an extremely strong run right until it got to Kiss Me. You can easily take half of those songs and have an even better record. The following 3 were all solid and where I got into them in real time. Bloodflowers, The Cure, and 4:13 Dream have some decent songs, but most of them I have forgotten about.

If anyone knows someone looking to get rid of a ticket to the Boston show on June 16th, please let me know. I've tried StubHub, TM and eBay. What really sucks is that they had tickets for $17.50. Agganis Arena doesn't have any balcony, so sitting in the back of the loge wouldn't be too bad.

I'm kicking myself for not purchasing tickets to the Boston show. I wasn't sure what to expect. I asked when tickets when on sale "Are they really going to do 3 hour shows again?" I'm loving the setlists. They really treat their fans well.

I've only seen them three times (00, 04, 08). I went back and listened to their whole catalog which had an extremely strong run right until it got to Kiss Me. You can easily take half of those songs and have an even better record. The following 3 were all solid and where I got into them in real time. Bloodflowers, The Cure, and 4:13 Dream have some decent songs, but most of them I have forgotten about. 

If anyone knows someone looking to get rid of a ticket to the Boston show on June 16th, please let me know. I've tried StubHub, TM and eBay. What really sucks is that they had tickets for $17.50. Agganis Arena doesn't have any balcony, so sitting in the back of the loge wouldn't be too bad. 

Don't kick yourself too hard. I tried getting tix the minute they went on sale and could never get anything. I'm going to have to suck it up and pay more than I want, but I really want to see this tour.

Don't kick yourself too hard. I tried getting tix the minute they went on sale and could never get anything. I'm going to have to suck it up and pay more than I want, but I really want to see this tour.

Go! I had been trying to see them for 25+ years. Something bad always came up (most extreme example: my mom died the day of the show in 1992) & I was cursed. So when this tour was announced I got very excited when I saw Seattle was on the list. Turns out it was the Sasquatch Festival. It's a 2.5 hour drive each way & you had to buy a 4 day pass for $400. Bummer. Physically, I can't do the festival thing anymore & you get a shorter set at those shows. So, I bit the bullet & got a ticket for the Vegas show from a broker. It was probably the smallest venue on the tour (3000 seats). Well, it was fantastic! They started with the 1st 3 songs from Disintegration & I almost had a heart attack. They couldn't fit their whole video/light rig in the theater but the lights were impressive anyway. So, I got home & a week later was looking at the Portland show. It was in a shed & the reserved seats were pretty much sold out. I managed to get a single ADA seat that was pretty good for $40. Turns out they hadn't played Portland in 20 years & the show was even better than the Vegas one. The video & lights were fantastic & the set was a little more of an adventure. Over 2 shows, I got 66 performances of 45 different songs. I would go see them again in a heartbeat. The band is playing on an unreal level & seem to be really enjoying themselves. Reeves Gabrels is fully meshed into the band now & his guitar playing is really adding something great to the mix. & Robert is playing real well, too. I had pretty high expectations & the band far exceeded them. The opening band, The Twighlight Sad, were very good also. I don't think you will be disappointed if you have to get a ticket from a broker. There is an excellent tape of the Denver show up on DIME & panicstream.net. Check it out & I think your mind will be made up. :guitar