Schmilco Impressions.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's only the 8th but has anyone received their Frocksteady EU shipment yet? Went for the big bundle with book, tee, cd and vinyl. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

I got my green vinyl LP (no bundle) on Monday via Frocksteady. I had been sent the download link on Friday! But one of my coworkers ordered on the same day as I did and still hasn't received his...

GRRR! Just got an email saying they're posting it now. Means I prob won't have it til mid next week at the earliest.

I have the MOFI pressing of Ryan Adam's Love is Hell arriving on Tuesday and the new pressing of the Twin Peaks OST on Friday so although it'll be packed at least next week will be filled with some great music!

Right now, if I had to make a silly ranking amongst Wilco records, it'd make my top half:

1. Summerteeth - "Quirky"

2. Being There - "Antique"

3. A Ghost Is Born - "Real"

4. YHF - "Cohesive"

5. Schmilco - "Impressive"

6. Sky Blue Sky - "Pretty"

7. A.M. - "Comfortable"

8. The Whole Love - "Parts"

9. Star Wars - "Aggressive"

10. Wilco (The Album) - "Variety"

Alright, I'm gonna nerd this out hard now that I have a legitimate download (still waiting for my vinyl).

"Normal American Kids"

Super intimate.  You can imagine it coming out of the scene in IATTBYH when Jeff was playing solo. It's so simple and crystalline, one of those moments that show Tweedy can sit along side Joni, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Leonard Cohen... distilling feelings into an acoustic guitar and some singing.

"If I Ever Was a Child"

This sits in the unassuming, Kinks-ish cheery sounding strummers he's been writing- along side "Summer Noon" and "Taste the Ceiling". The accompaniment is about a thousand times smarter than it seems at first listen. When it opens up a little there's a river of tasty guitar and keyboard flourishes.

"Cry All Day"

Pure Laurel Canyon classic folk-rock, yet more spontaneous sounding than its like on Sky Blue Sky. You can hear a persistent Kraut thing pulsing through all the denim.  Glenn is obviously a genius- he seems like he's laying way back until you sit behind a kit and try to play his part note for note, a sign of a master at work.

"Common Sense"

Still the weirdest thing on a Wilco full length. Conjures early Modest Mouse and Red Medicine era Fugazi. It feels very fascinating, if not entirely lovable. I can see where people bring up the Wilco book fundamental jams. I'd love to see what they'd do with this live, it sounds like it was really fun to build in the studio.

"Nope"

Back porch poets, Dylan's in the basement mixing up some stubble and surrealism. This is what a barbecue in weird America should sound like.

"Someone to Lose"

Reminds me of the faint impression I have of a Tweedy song from the St. Vincent soundtrack. I think at this point Jeff could write a couple dozen of these breezy numbers, maybe he already has and is smart by sprinkling them throughout.  The chorus guitar hooks brings it from pleasant/solid to memorable.

"Happiness"

So so sad. Not to be combined with other medications or alcohol.

"Quarters"

The second most intimate number to "Normal American Kids". Another example of the Wilco boys being more of an ensemble than a band. More of a, "I'll wait and then add this sound at a key moment," than a "here's my riff" kind of accompaniment. The most Loose Fur of any of them, the transformation is not unlike "Chinese Apple", tense into gorgeous. Weird little song.

"Locator"

The only one that sounds a little more Star Wars than Schmilco to me.  It's really effective on side B amongst the more introverted stuff. The paranoia and wiry layers are so cool. I feel like they should have gotten Iggy Pop to do a part on it.

"Shrug and Destroy"

This is the only one I don't love (but still like it). Feels like one of the ones that float by towards the end of Sukierae. Plenty of headphone treats, and some of the coolest piano playing, I'll be curious to read the liner notes to see if Mikael or Pat cooked that up.

"We Aren't the World (Safety Girl)"

What a punk rock piss-taker of a title and hook. The shaky keys/guitars remind me a lot of Summerteeth and YHF b-sides. This is the first track that warrants the "chamber-pop" term that some reviewers have dropped. Another example how when you zero in on Stiratt you realize you were taking for granted how great his feel is, and how much motion he's giving the track. Also the piano reminds me of "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground.

"Just Say Goodbye"

Such a beaut.  This song sounds like autumn to me.

I love how the guitar tones on "Cry All Day" at 2:51 and 2:55 sound a little like the band took the tiny boing in "Far Far Away (2:39) and amplified it by 20. (Not to suggest that was intentional. I'm just choosing to hear the song the way I want to, dammit.)

I was a little worried about this record after reading some of the early comments and reviews. Some of the descriptions of the songs and the sound of the album were troublesome on paper. But after one really good listen, it sounds like a record that will stick with me and just get better with age. We'll see how that goes, but my early inclination to want to start it up again right after it finishes is a good early sign.

I've listened to it twice now. A bit distractedly both times. Two thoughts: 1) Proper to release this album just after summer ended, it has a great autumnal feel, 2) I look at the title as maybe a little playful, but also a bit melancholy to match the spirit of the album. The cover is great, but (IMO, obviously) doesn't fit the music inside.

Cued it up yesterday for the first time when I was in a terrible mood and I ended up declaring it the worst thing I had ever heard from Tweedy. Got some great news today, gave it another listen and now it's quite listenable. Funny how that works.

You defintely need a good set of headphones to catch all the little intricacies. Not looking forward to hearing this on those wireless IPhone 7 earbuds.

Schmilco reminds me of the way I felt when I first heard Yankee and Ghost. On first listen I was not overwhelmed, but I found myself thinking about what I was hearing until I fell in love with both records. I'm getting a similar vibe with Schmilco that was lacking with SBS, WTA, and TWL... 

Just finishing my first listen. I'm not an audiophile, and I'm listening to the MP3s on my laptop with earbuds. Still, it really is a nice album from start to finish. I don't love every song, but I'm sure my tastes will change with additional listens. 

Alright, I'm gonna nerd this out hard now that I have a legitimate download (still waiting for my vinyl).

"Normal American Kids"

Super intimate.  You can imagine it coming out of the scene in IATTBYH when Jeff was playing solo. It's so simple and crystalline, one of those moments that show Tweedy can sit along side Joni, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Leonard Cohen... distilling feelings into an acoustic guitar and some singing.

"If I Ever Was a Child"

This sits in the unassuming, Kinks-ish cheery sounding strummers he's been writing- along side "Summer Noon" and "Taste the Ceiling". The accompaniment is about a thousand times smarter than it seems at first listen. When it opens up a little there's a river of tasty guitar and keyboard flourishes.

"Cry All Day"

Pure Laurel Canyon classic folk-rock, yet more spontaneous sounding than its like on Sky Blue Sky. You can hear a persistent Kraut thing pulsing through all the denim.  Glenn is obviously a genius- he seems like he's laying way back until you sit behind a kit and try to play his part note for note, a sign of a master at work.

"Common Sense"

Still the weirdest thing on a Wilco full length. Conjures early Modest Mouse and Red Medicine era Fugazi. It feels very fascinating, if not entirely lovable. I can see where people bring up the Wilco book fundamental jams. I'd love to see what they'd do with this live, it sounds like it was really fun to build in the studio.

"Nope"

Back porch poets, Dylan's in the basement mixing up some stubble and surrealism. This is what a barbecue in weird America should sound like.

"Someone to Lose"

Reminds me of the faint impression I have of a Tweedy song from the St. Vincent soundtrack. I think at this point Jeff could write a couple dozen of these breezy numbers, maybe he already has and is smart by sprinkling them throughout.  The chorus guitar hooks brings it from pleasant/solid to memorable.

"Happiness"

So so sad. Not to be combined with other medications or alcohol.

"Quarters"

The second most intimate number to "Normal American Kids". Another example of the Wilco boys being more of an ensemble than a band. More of a, "I'll wait and then add this sound at a key moment," than a "here's my riff" kind of accompaniment. The most Loose Fur of any of them, the transformation is not unlike "Chinese Apple", tense into gorgeous. Weird little song.

"Locator"

The only one that sounds a little more Star Wars than Schmilco to me.  It's really effective on side B amongst the more introverted stuff. The paranoia and wiry layers are so cool. I feel like they should have gotten Iggy Pop to do a part on it.

"Shrug and Destroy"

This is the only one I don't love (but still like it). Feels like one of the ones that float by towards the end of Sukierae. Plenty of headphone treats, and some of the coolest piano playing, I'll be curious to read the liner notes to see if Mikael or Pat cooked that up.

"We Aren't the World (Safety Girl)"

What a punk rock piss-taker of a title and hook. The shaky keys/guitars remind me a lot of Summerteeth and YHF b-sides. This is the first track that warrants the "chamber-pop" term that some reviewers have dropped. Another example how when you zero in on Stiratt you realize you were taking for granted how great his feel is, and how much motion he's giving the track. Also the piano reminds me of "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground.

"Just Say Goodbye"

Such a beaut.  This song sounds like autumn to me.

Hey, this is a great assessment of the record. Nicely done.

I'm about to put the vinyl on for my fourth listen. I'm digging it more every time I play it through.