Wilco — 4 Sept. 2016, Portland, OR (Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall)

I'm really not even sure where to begin in describing tonight's show, so I'll start with the positives. The Schnitz is a beautiful venue and the sound was terrific. The entire stage production from the backdrop and lighting to the instrument arrangement is pretty fantastic. And, of course, the band was outstanding as always. But, on the flip side, there were a bunch of idiots in the front row that kind of put a damper on things by being rude to the point that Jeff really lost his cool on stage. Mind you, it was assigned seating and not GA, so the randomness of having such a concentration of jackasses all right up front is a bit perplexing. It started with one guy sitting literally right in front of Jeff brazenly filming the show. Jeff scolded him a bit and he stopped. Then, a song or two later, he started again. Jeff then proceeded to cut into him quite a bit verbally and and continued tearing into him in between the next three or four songs. Cut to the end of the set, and the guy's buddy started filming. Again, right in front of Jeff. So, Jeff scowled at that guy and he finally got the message. Then, during the penultimate song of the second encore, some other moron a couple of seats over not only started filming, but holding his phone up in the air and hanging over the edge of the stage. Jeff walked over to the edge of the stage and started shaking his head and the guy just kept on filming. So, Jeff just reached down, yanked the guy's phone out of his hand, and threw it about 20 feet behind the amps toward the back of the stage. And, he was so upset that he ended up tossing his guitar across the stage as well. Amazingly, he stayed out and played the last song (I was really surprised he just didn't call it a night). After the band finished and walked off stage, I could see Jeff in the wings and he was still pretty animated. It's really a shame when people have so much disrespect for the performer that it gets to that point. Anyhow, enough with the TMZ-esque drama. The music is what really deserves the attention. Tonight's set was very similar in structure to last night's show, with the Schmilco songs and "standards" maintaining almost identical positions and the deep cuts being swapped out. Personal highlights were Pot Kettle Black, Reservations, Hesitating Beauty, and an electric Spiders. But, the stand out may have been Bull Black Nova, based not just on the music, but how they integrated the set and lighting, etc. It really amped up the intensity of the song and caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand up, which is always a sign of seeing something special. Anyway, here's the setlist as played...

Normal American Kids *

If I Were A Child

Cry All Day

Radio Cure

Misunderstood

Someone to Lose

The Joke Explained

Pot Kettle Black

(Was I) In Your Dreams

Bull Black Nova

Reservations

Impossible Germany

Should've Been In Love

Nope

Hesitating Beauty

Passenger Side

Dawned On Me

Cars Can't Escape

Locator ->

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)

Hummingbird

Late Greats

----------

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

----------

We've Been Had

Christ For President

Always In Love

Shot In The Arm

* - Jeff and Nels only

I too felt Jeff was going to walk out after the final cellphone incident. And I would not have blamed him. It distracted from a otherwise lovely show. If someone received a set list from the stage, can you confirm that Shot in The Arm was supposed to be the last song? It felt like they left a song or two on the table.

Wow that really sucks that people can be so rude. Surely the venue staff should have ejected them? That would have been so frustrating.

On the plus side, at least you got to hear Normal American Kids again after us trying to figure out what it was at Todos Santos :)

Definitely, Security should have removed those people, and I hope they would have if Jeff had given them the nod. Maybe he just didn't want to come off as a prima donna that early in the show, although it would have been fully justified. Good for him for snatching the guy's phone and throwing it! I find it hard to imagine him actually throwing his guitar, though, considering how much he loves them. He must have been truly pissed off.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cell phones filming needs to be banned from shows. If security sees it, they should confiscate their phones. Taking a quick picture is ok...as long as it's not every 2 mins, but holding your phone in place for an entire concert is beyond disrespectful. There should be a loud speaker warning before every show , like at the movies.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cell phones filming needs to be banned from shows. If security sees it, they should confiscate their phones. Taking a quick picture is ok...as long as it's not every 2 mins, but holding your phone in place for an entire concert is beyond disrespectful. There should be a loud speaker warning before every show , like at the movies.

Apple has tech coming that will jam phones from recording shows. I'm there will be a fee involved for the bands as Apple isn't really know for their altruistic nature.

The last two concerts I went too had a strict (absolutely no cell phone photography or filming during the show, violators will be subject to ejection from the performance) it was on the tickets and announced before the show started. It actually worked pretty well, only a few People broke the rules and took a quick photo, but no one just blatantly filmed it.

Great review. Cars Can't Escape! Not For The Season! I Loved the quieter versions of the songs on the final encore.

Also the intense look on Pats' face whilst rocking the triangle early in the set cracked us up!

I really felt bad for Jeff, he was seriously upset about the phone situation and I think some of those folks thought he was just playing around with them. It was clear about halfway through the show that it was no joke and yet still zero effs given by the perpetrators. Very sad.

Second time now I've seen Tweedy toss a guitar in frustration onstage. The last time was in Flagstaff, AZ due to tech issues. I hope this axe fairs better than that one.

Sitting in the back, I didn't really hear the drama going on down front.  But i got the full effect of the set, which was A M A Z I N G.  I don't know exactly how they did it, but the leaves on the trees changed colors, and the background reflected a foggy, or sunny day, or twilight , or sunset, or fall colors.....A completely 3-D effect.  The band was all positioned right along the front of the stage, to make room for the set.  Jeff joked, "After our show will be a performance of a Mid-Summer's Night Dream."   Laminated Cat, Bull Black Nova and Spiders really used the set to full effect, with strobes, etc.  i hope I'm not giving anything away.

I've only seen Wilco for half a dozen times, so this was a fabulous show in my book.  Many songs that I'd not heard live before, a complete sing-along 2nd encore, and the band had the beginning-of-the-tour energy!

Also to say, speaking of filiming and phones, sitting in the back I could see how much of this was going on.  Alot.  When I saw Neil Young at Matthew Night Arena, 10,000 people (?), ushers went around and made people turn off their phones, and it didn't seem to take more staff than otherwise would be needed.

Second time now I've seen Tweedy toss a guitar in frustration onstage. The last time was in Flagstaff, AZ due to tech issues. I hope this axe fairs better than that one.

I was also at that show. The headstock of the SG broke off after it was tossed but Stan (Wilco's sound guy) says their guitar techs repaired the guitar. I'm also curious which guitar was tossed seeing how it seemed like acoustic guitars were used %80 of the time at both Seattle shows. 

Last night's show was absolutely beautiful. The stripped down, quieter versions of so many old favorites were an unbelievable treat. Totally gorgeous. I especially loved the Summerteeth songs. And Cars Cant Escape is back in rotation! Yay. The stage set was unexpected -- a backdrop of trees and leaves with the band's simple, up-front set up. I am sure it was a quick design plan after Jeff playing the Pickathon Woods Stage :love .  Ok ok, not really...but it  was *as close to* the Woods Stage as you could get, while reaping the benefits of the Schniz's acoustics.

I was sitting 3 rows behind the guys with the cellphones. The first row of StubHub assholes were seriously unbelievably rude. I have never seen Jeff so frustrated, and yes it totally escalated over the course of the show.  First it was a funny and playful comment (but obvious). Then it was a harsh direct call-out. Then Jeff gave the dude the finger WHILE singing, without missing a beat. Then in a moment of total frustration, he tossed his guitar at the end of a song. I also assumed he was going to walk off stage. Thank God he didn't because I would have punched the asshole for cutting it short!  

I LOVED Jeff's comment directly to the front/center guy: "Do you use your cellphone while you're at the movie theater? No? Well that's interesting.  You pay MORE respect to a movie screen, than to live artists on a stage. Alright."   Why didn't the fu*%er leave the venue at that point????

Remember a few years ago, there used to be a pre-show announcement "Cellphones and video or camera photos are strictly prohibited?" They need to reinstate that announcement.  Otherwise this shitshow will not end. Because the first 2 rows of seated Wilco shows are unfortunately filled with these MoFos.  UGH!!!  :crybaby  :crybaby  :crybaby

Anyway, Thank you Wilco for another night of music therapy.  You're always there when I need you. I can't wait for the new record listening party! xxoo

I was also at that show. The headstock of the SG broke off after it was tossed but Stan (Wilco's sound guy) says their guitar techs repaired the guitar. I'm also curious which guitar was tossed seeing how it seemed like acoustic guitars were used %80 of the time at both Seattle shows. 

Yeah you could see that SG snap, I'm not sure if the one last night was damaged as it landed behind the amps/gear.

I was actually standing at the back of the venue (next to Stan)  rather than up close in my seats when the guitar was tossed.  I'm bad at recognizing guitars, but my wife said it was the darker colored acoustic.  Not one of the two with the red design on them that seemed to be most frequently played.

the first 2 rows of seated Wilco shows are unfortunately filled with these MoFos.

I was going to say, I don't think it's a coincidence that this bad behavior occurred at a reserved seat theater show. It's all tied in with the difficulty of getting decent seats at a reserved seat venue. Everything seems to go immdiately to the secondary market and that's where these assholes snap up the tickets.

I would be very surprised if something like this happens at the Fillmore, for instance. The diehard fans will be lining up for hours and will be up close, providing lots of good back and forth energy.

I LOVED Jeff's comment directly to the front/center guy: "Do you use your cellphone while you're at the movie theater? No? Well that's interesting.  You pay MORE respect to a movie screen, than to live artists on a stage. Alright."   Why didn't the fu*%er leave the venue at that point????

Yep, that's when it clearly turned from lightly scolding an annoyance to being angry.  Jeff's remarks to the jerks prior to that elicited chuckles from the audience, after this comment there was silence. 

I compared it to parenting my young kids.  The first couple times they act inappropriately it's playful admonishment, after the third it's time to make it clear they are being assholes.   I wish security would've gotten the hint and showed some presence.

BUT all that going on had zero effect on the enjoyment of such a fantastic show.  The first time I saw wilco in PDX was at Pioneer Square in 2000 and I've been to more than I can remember in between, and I think this was the best of all of them.  Stunningly beautiful.

Sad because I believe those seats would've mostly likely come from the wilcoworld presale originally. I sat similar first night in Seattle & that's how I got them. I suppose some would look to make a quick buck. I scored Temple of the Dog tix in Seattle off of a presale. I could selll them & make $1500 easy but I bought the tickets because I want to see the show.

This is from the Oregonian in best moments:8. Tweedy vs. the phone. Like a comedian trashing a heckler, a fan's phone become a running gag, and target, for the quippy frontman as the set wore on. Toward the end of the night, Tweedy reached into the crowd and came away with a device, which he tossed back into the stage's tangle of instruments.

I was on the far right and being short missed the guitar throwing and the phone grabbing.  Also surrounded by people taping the show.

My reaction was the same as that of the Oregonian.  I thought Jeff was bantering with these people in the audience.  In fact, it's been a while since I've seen Wilco and commented to a friend that Jeff was in the best mood I've seen him in.  I suspect that the majority of the audience had no idea that Jeff was so angry.

This was one of the best concerts I've seen in years.