What newish bands did you get into this year?

I discovered a bunch of new artist to me and I quickly bought all releases by all of them really enjoying the new bands for me some include

STRFKR- Right around late 2015 early 2016 got into them. I like almost everything they have released. Even saw them twice live this year. Great, fun band!

Beach Fossils- Some of the stuff reminds me of early R.E.M. very solid catalog they have

Mac Demarco- GREAT! A little out there. Salad Days is front to back awesome. Rest of the catalog is good too.

Washed Out- Nice atmospheric etc..

Parquet Courts- Saw them twice this year and their live show is great and Human Performance is probably my favorite release this year.

EDIT:

Oops. I missed the whole "newish" part.

So, now that it's "newish" I will say:

Family Atlantica

Their new album, Cosmic Unity, is just what the doctor ordered—a hybrid of various African musical styles, mashed together and sung and performed with pure, unbridled joy. I adore this band.

I discovered Car Seat Headrest this year -- my favorite album of 2016 (in a year of great album releases).  I also discovered an old band that I really like  -- Stereolab

Tribulation. A Swedish band that started out as a death metal band but swerved more into a goth/metal phase. the last record had some incredibly strong songs on it, and their live show is fantastic.

Ultimate Painting. Not a new band but new to me, as they have three records out now. I've known James Hoare from Veronica Falls, but not Jack Cooper who is also in Mazes. The next best thing to the Velvet Underground. 

Whores.. (they have period in their name) i'd heard a few songs from them last year and was very impressed by the live show... solid noise rock in the vein of AmRep or Touch and Go.

Icelandic black metal  bands such as NaðraMisþyrming and others, including a pretty special ceremonial gathering named Ulfmessa, that i saw at Roadburn.

Worshipper - excellent Boston metal band who just were named as such via the Boston Music Awards. I saw them this year and they played an obscure Pink Floyd B side "Julia Dream."

Amenra - two gorgeous sets from this Belgian band at Roadburn; powerful and precise.

^^^ Not sure how I lived so long without "Emperor Tomato Ketchup."  Incredible album.  I also picked up "Dots & Loops."  Tell me what else do I need?

Mars Audiac Quintet

and

Switched On!

^^^ Not sure how I lived so long without "Emperor Tomato Ketchup."  Incredible album.  I also picked up "Dots & Loops."  Tell me what else do I need?

Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements!!

"Our Trinitone Blast" is amazing. probably my second favorite S-Lab song, with "French Disko" being the top.

Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements!!

That's the one with "Jenny Ondeoline" right? When I saw them at Lounge Ax back in 1996 or 97, that was a total jam.

I enjoyed Car Seat Headrest for a hot second earlier this year. I revisited the album recently. It's good, but ultimately very forgettable. 

Go post that in the thread about them and get accused of being a troll please so I am not the only one.  

I learned about Hurray for the Riff Raff. They seem pretty good.

LouieB