Wow! Phish announce a 13 show run at MSG for this summer!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, a full blown Mt. Jam would have been nice during the Jam Filled show

For sure. Part of what makes Phish interesting is sometimes they do the obvious, other times they do not. Phish has shied away from tributes the past few years, so not expecting anything, but a boy can hope!

Very insightful and accurate 

personally i think it's kinda stupid. when i listen to or even think about music, "supremacy" is not my main concern.

Here’s a thought experiment: What if pop music operated on the jam-band model? The live show replaces the album as an artist’s signature work. Albums are viewed as commercials for concerts. Instead of obsessing over albums sales and streaming statistics, music writers tally up the concert tickets sold in a given week to determine an artist’s supremacy.

his main point of this treatise is greater mainstream acceptance of Phish? really?

But a “live music first” world would mean greater mainstream acceptance for Phish, whose music only opens up once you go down the rabbit hole of the band’s voluminous catalogue of live recordings, both officially sanctioned and bootlegs.

Glad I caught 2 shows some of the best I have see in the last 15 years I have seen them! Band is on fire again now and it's great!

I've listened to the "jam filled" show a couple times and have been skimming the recommended jams and covers today. It's clear they were having so much fun, there's great energy in the performances and some really wonderful playing. Great to hear these guys can still surprise audiences and bring the heat like this after more than 30 years.

personally i think it's kinda stupid. when i listen to or even think about music, "supremacy" is not my main concern.

his main point of this treatise is greater mainstream acceptance of Phish? really?

Of course I also don't think about "supremacy" when at a show, or listening to music anywhere. I think his point that traditionally the music industry, not necessarily the artists themselves or music fans, measures success in numbers of albums sold as reflected in standing on the music charts (with a bullet!). When many bands and their fans couldn't give a hoot about album sales or chart standings. You'll never see Phish (or any other number of bands) on the charts, but that they can deliver something like the Bakers Dozen, to an ecstatic fan base, doesn't get measured. It's an old and oft repeated story. That's all I took his comment in that sentence to be about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course I also don't think about "supremacy" when at a show, or listening to music anywhere. I think his point that traditionally the music industry, not necessarily the artists themselves or music fans, measures success in numbers of albums sold as reflected in standing on the music charts (with a bullet!). When many bands and their fans couldn't give a hoot about album sales or chart standings. You'll never see Phish (or any other number of bands) on the charts, but that they can deliver something like the Bakers Dozen, to an ecstatic fan base, doesn't get measured. It's an old and oft repeated story. That's all I took his comment in that sentence to be about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But everyone (in the music biz at least) knows that the real money (at least, the real money that goes into a band's pockets) is made in touring, right?

Artists don't make shit from album sales. I think they get like a 3% cut or something like that. 

If his assertion about some bands viewing concerts as a commercial for album sales is correct, then those bands have things totally backwards.

Listened to most of the shows live. Streamed a few too (legally). First thing that stuck out was that the band practiced. They practiced Mound, Foam, It's Ice etc. These are songs they have been f'n up for years and it has been a major obstacle for me. As a jaded vet, I missed the precision from 1.0. The other thing about these shows was that the band was rested and in a groove. Jams, basic playing, harmonies, risk taking...all in high degree. By the last third of the shows it really was like 1.0 again. You knew it was going to be a solid show no matter what and the surprises were the meat of the show. I actually prefer 3.0 jams these days. More mellow and exploratory with lots synth and bass stuff added in. This along with the 1.0 precision and tightness made for a highpoint in the band's history. An amazing accomplishment. Congrats to the boys and the phans for making it all a success. And to those who went every night, God Bless. Not sure if I could've done that even when I was 21!

FWIW, auds of these shows sound excellent!

Listened to most of the shows live. Streamed a few too (legally). First thing that stuck out was that the band practiced. They practiced Mound, Foam, It's Ice etc. These are songs they have been f'n up for years and it has been a major obstacle for me. As a jaded vet, I missed the precision from 1.0. The other thing about these shows was that the band was rested and in a groove. Jams, basic playing, harmonies, risk taking...all in high degree. By the last third of the shows it really was like 1.0 again. You knew it was going to be a solid show no matter what and the surprises were the meat of the show. I actually prefer 3.0 jams these days. More mellow and exploratory with lots synth and bass stuff added in. This along with the 1.0 precision and tightness made for a highpoint in the band's history. An amazing accomplishment. Congrats to the boys and the phans for making it all a success. And to those who went every night, God Bless. Not sure if I could've done that even when I was 21!

FWIW, auds of these shows sound excellent!

This was an amazing feat. 236 different songs over 13 nights. The brain power and talent to be able to pull that off, 4 individual musicians in sync over that amount of material, performed in front of 18,000+ people, is beyond comprehension to me. Regardless of what one may think of their music.  

Having watched or listened to most, what would be your top 3 or so suggestions to buy. I bought the Red Velvet download, and did the pay per view for last Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I want to have the last night. Any others you suggest? Short of all 13.

This was an amazing feat. 236 different songs over 13 nights. The brain power and talent to be able to pull that off, 4 individual musicians in sync over that amount of material, performed in front of 18,000+ people, is beyond comprehension to me. Regardless of what one may think of their music.  

Having watched or listened to most, what would be your top 3 or so suggestions to buy. I bought the Red Velvet download, and did the pay per view for last Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I want to have the last night. Any others you suggest? Short of all 13.

The Jimmies/Jam show would probably be #1. I like the Lemon and Glazed shows a lot too, but it comes down to personal preference. Only set I didn't care for was Boston Cream set 2, where the jamming didn't go anywhere and the song selection stunk, but some people loved it. The Chalkdust from early in the run may be the highlight of the whole thing, but there were certain songs and jams that stuck out every night.

Good question. I'm trying to figure that out myself! I'd recommend;

7/23-Played very well. Maybe best It's Ice ever and the Wolfman's>Twist>Waves is top shelf.

7/25-The jam-filled night. Lawn Boy is taken to the outer rim. Some flubs here and there on other songs. Sample is even jammed out!

8/2-My favorite. Just had a good vibe and again all was played well. Whole 2nd set was incredible (Mike's>O Holy Night!). Maze was classic 1.0

Let us know what you think.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be buying at least a couple more. I couch-toured the 8/2 show(didn't buy the mp3 combo), and loved it. 

Yeah, that was a fun one. Just had a good vibe to me. I'll be curious to see how Dick's goes. Wonder if they'll be able to keep up the momentum.