Mike Watt question

I'm wondering if he is worth seeing. He's opening up for the Meat Puppets next week and we're trying to figure out the game plan for the night. Thanks for any replies.

Of course he is!! I missed the Denver Watt/MPs show (school night) but have seen Watt a couple times in other outfits (Banyan with Nels Cline and Stephen Perkins being most memorable). I've read good reviews of his opening set with the Jom & Terry Show (Jazzy/Funky/Punk-y). 

You don't get a lot of opportunities to see a bassist of Watt's caliber (and vocals, too!). Take it, if you can.

Let me put it this way:  

Every time I've seen him, I've left saying I will never miss a Watt show when he comes through town. (Even though I haven't been able to live up to that.)

I wish the Watt/Puppets tour was coming through Atlanta.  I'd be all over that.

Ok, thanks. I'll share all the positive input with the crew. Regarding MW, I don't know anything about him outside of his Minutemen work and I barely am familiar with that so that's why I was asking.

Ball-Hog or Tugboat? is one of best records of the 1990 decade! imho...

Man, I started re-listening to this a few months back after, like, a 15 yr absence. it really is an excellent album (love most of the collaborations). "Against the 70s" is amazing...

Brooklyn Vegan has a nice recap of the Watt/Puppets show.  For some reason, I was thinking this was the lineup with the organ player, which is pretty cool, but not as good as his guitar/bass/drum lineups.  Knowing he has Tom Watson on guitar again makes this an even more attractive show.  Bummer no Atlanta date.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/meat-puppets-mike-watt-grant-hart-played-brooklyn-bowl-pics-setlists/#photogallery-1=37

yeah the boston show was amazing. best i've seen Watt. that Last cover was amazing

Yeah, Live Totem Pole EP is one of my favorites but they blew fIREHOSE's version away the other night.

There's a Grant Hart documentary on Netflix, or Prime, or something like that. He seems like a severely broken man.

Thanks for the tip. I found it on Prime. Saw him 5 or 6 years ago. Talked with him for a few minutes and walked away sad. He talked about how he had just sent a certified letter to SST demanding money for Intolerance. Trump talking about a certified letter reminded me of the conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so bummed to miss watt this time'round. Go way back, and still have a polaroid shot after a Baltimore show at Ottobar, Gracious, gifted, alert, and ferocious. And my introduction to Nels in the backward time travel machine.

Genius.

The Meat Puppets show with Mike Watt was pretty good. All the tunes you wanted to hear were played although nothing from Rat Farm. I thought Curt was playing much less psychedelically than usual. The highlights were the jams during "Lake of Fire" and "Up On the Sun". The biggest highlight however was when all the band members from Watt's band were invited onstage for the final tune, The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows". Everyone on stage had huge smiles on their faces. That was really cool.

Listen Chicolini, you really should reconsider Rat Farm because its a good album.