Yeah - I enjoy Hot Tuna, but not as familiar with them as I am with the Airplane. Plus, I have always been a sucker for Grace. 

Spotify has a lot Hot Tuna shows that I listen to from time to time. Still have not seen them play yet, which I always plan to do when they come around, but end up not going for some reason or another. 

I will definitely read Jorma's book.  Hopefully Jack will do one, too.  I like Jefferson Airplane a lot, but I've never cared for them as a live band, just based on their live releases.  I never got to see them.  Hot Tuna is the opposite.  I like them as a live band, but not as much on record. And I have seen them. 

I will definitely read Jorma's book.  Hopefully Jack will do one, too.  I like Jefferson Airplane a lot, but I've never cared for them as a live band, just based on their live releases.  I never got to see them.  Hot Tuna is the opposite.  I like them as a live band, but not as much on record. And I have seen them. 

Wild. Burgers is one of my favorite albums, of any genre. 

Easy... Eeeeeesyyyy...

That's me at the 0:33 mark sporting my white long johns. 

Trying to figure out how Casady breaks his bass string at the very beginning of the set. 

That's pretty good stuff, but you ain't no Naked Pole Guy.....BTW, how'd the rest of the day go?

Loves me some Hot Tuna. Saw them a few times in the late 80/early 90s.

Yeah, that's me at 3:00. Dang, I had a great afro going on back then.

That's pretty good stuff, but you ain't no Naked Pole Guy.....BTW, how'd the rest of the day go?

Me and Naked Pole Guy discussed (and to be fair, I argued with him in a way I'm not proud of) the best way of getting your freak on when you're partaking in a live concert in a clearly viewable postiion behind the band. 

I was all like "white long johns and streamers all the way, with some kind of leathery flap cod piece" and he basically told me to fuck myself saying "If you ain't nake, yer fake!" And we never spoke again.

Me and Naked Pole Guy discussed (and to be fair, I argued with him in a way I'm not proud of) the best way of getting your freak on when you're partaking in a live concert in a clearly viewable postiion behind the band. 

I was all like "white long johns and streamers all the way, with some kind of leathery flap cod piece" and he basically told me to fuck myself saying "If you ain't nake, yer fake!" And we never spoke again.

:lol

I was watching the Veneta show a couple of weeks ago and noticed (for the first time) that NPG makes his ascent during the China Cat....The man was invested in that climb!

I like Jefferson Airplane a lot, but I've never cared for them as a live band, just based on their live releases.

Have you listened to Bless Its Pointed Little Head???  In my crowd that is one of the all time great live albums. Jaw dropping. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bless+its+pointed+little+head+full+album&view=detail&mid=CD5C673191A63ED7854DCD5C673191A63ED7854D&FORM=VIRE

Hysterical.  Thanks for that!

For any of you who haven't gotten into live Airplane from their early days, I recommend the run of shows from 11/25-11/27/66 at the Fillmore. They're partially documented on Fillmore Auditorium: We Have Ignition, though I sometimes think I prefer the recordings I got of those shows way before that release.

Their covers of Fat Angel & Other Side of This Life are incredible, and their early readings of classics like Plastic Fantastic Lover, White Rabbit, and 3/5 Miles in 10 Seconds (complete with jet engine sound effects) just rock. Listen to these recordings and then contemplate what the Dead were doing in late '66, and you'll realize that Jerry and the boys didn't catch up with the Airplane until about 1968 or even '69. Of course, then they blew right past them forever, but still....

What's really wild - is to listen to that early stuff (Takes Off) and then Surrealistic Pillow and then After Bathing at Baxter's. It's quite a change they went through. Surrealistic Pillow has been one of my favorite albums since I was a kid. I think it is one of the best albums of the time period. I pretty much stop at Volunteers. Although I do have an original pressing of Blows Against The Empire. I know about Hot Tuna but I have never really listened to them.

For any of you who haven't gotten into live Airplane from their early days, I recommend the run of shows from 11/25-11/27/66 at the Fillmore. They're partially documented on Fillmore Auditorium: We Have Ignition, though I sometimes think I prefer the recordings I got of those shows way before that release.

Their covers of Fat Angel & Other Side of This Life are incredible, and their early readings of classics like Plastic Fantastic Lover, White Rabbit, and 3/5 Miles in 10 Seconds (complete with jet engine sound effects) just rock. Listen to these recordings and then contemplate what the Dead were doing in late '66, and you'll realize that Jerry and the boys didn't catch up with the Airplane until about 1968 or even '69. Of course, then they blew right past them forever, but still....

^thanks for the tip I still remember when I could put my hands on the Volunteers vinyl 2 years after its release. To me, the Airplane were great those days until - including - Bark...

^thanks for the tip I still remember when I could put my hands on the Volunteers vinyl 2 years after its release. To me, the Airplane were great those days until - including - Bark...

I’m with you on this except - and this is a big exception - I would not discount Thirty Seconds Over Winterland. Great album of tunes which were largely mediocre in the studio.

^^ Agree. My interest in JA studio albums stopped with Bark. Although I wasn't particularly fond of the lineup, replacing Spencer with Johnny Barbata and including Papa John (who I loved in HT) Thirty Seconds has some great live tracks, especially what we considered as the Hot Tuna songs Feel So Good and Trial By Fire. Also, we had some memorable nights with the cover. I seem to remember winged toasters flying around my room. :)   

Not a huge Hot Tuna/Airplane fan, but did love Jorma's Blue Country Heart album. Feels like it came out yesterday, but over 15 years old at this point. Jorma and Jack have been playing music together for over 60 years. Outside of siblings, doubt that is longevity is something very many others share. 

Have you listened to Bless Its Pointed Little Head???  In my crowd that is one of the all time great live albums. Jaw dropping. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bless+its+pointed+little+head+full+album&view=detail&mid=CD5C673191A63ED7854DCD5C673191A63ED7854D&FORM=VIRE

Yes, that's partially what I'm basing my opinion on.  They were overly shouty on the vocals and it's doesn't work for me.  Maybe I just don't care for Marty as a live performer.

• 1 year later...