So, I don't know, I did a search for Coltrane here and found random threads but no Coltrane thread. I couldn't even see where Louie's massive jazz thread is archived, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to start a thread on Trane.

The reason is the newly-discovered material coming out, which contains previously unheard compositions. They have track listings like "Untitled Original 11383," because they were never assigned names as far as can be determined. Here is a posting with one of the tracks: http://www.openculture.com/2018/06/hear-the-first-track-from-john-coltranes-lost-album.html

Coltrane is probably my all-time favorite musician, if I had to pick one. His life and career, though tragically short, yielded some of the greatest music of all time, and this band - a.k.a., the "classic quartet" - is undoubtedly my favorite of the groups he fronted.

The only downside of listening to Coltrane, for me, is that taking a deep dive into nothing but his music has a bad effect on all my other music listening, and that is this: after a lengthy session of Coltrane, everything else sounds trivial or silly ...even my favorite rock bands. Even slightly lesser jazz greats, like Lee Morgan or Wayne Shorter, pale by comparison. Coltrane's music has a spiritual aspect that blows me away time and again.

So this "new" album coming out is big news in the jazz world, and it's like the holy grail for Trane fans. As Sonny Rollins wrote, it's like finding a new room in the great pyramids.

Thank God this thread is about Coltrane,  I should know better, but when I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to rhapsodize over "Drops of Jupiter" -- a terrible song by Train.  Carry on . . .  

Pretty phenomenal stuff. I respect all of his work and his later stuff that was really searching is worth investigating. That said, my favorites of his (like a lot of jazz virtuosos) is the stuff that's on a knife edge between popular jazz classicism and total chaos: Giant Steps, Blue Trane, My Favorite Things.

In fact, I've always found this footage to be one of my mental shorthands for artistic courage:

https://youtu.be/NWYWgda5f0I

It gets so fuckin heavy, and then you remember they're doing a show tune. They get so sweaty, you can literally see steam, or smoke coming off of Jimmy Garrison.

Thank God this thread is about Coltrane,  I should know better, but when I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to rhapsodize over "Drops of Jupiter" -- a terrible song by Train.  Carry on . . .

All I could think of was air conditioners.

I love me some John Coltrane. There's a pretty good documentary on him, "Chasing Trane," that came out a couple of years ago. Can't wait to hear the recently discovered stuff.

Yeah, I love that clip. That band was magic. The whole Live Trane European Tours box just slays me.

Some of the late era stuff has a bit too much honking and squawking fo listen to often. But Meditations, Transition, and of course, Love Supreme are all remarkable.

I would definitely agree Mr. H regarding Coltrane. He's my favorite Jazz musician of all time, and along with Ravi and Jerry that's like my Holy Trinity of music.

The Classic Quartet is undeniably one of the greatest small combos of all time, I never tire of hearing them. The small amount of time Dolphy was with him (Impressions LP, live footage) is truly mind blowing as well. I also like the later stuff like Ascension and Interstellar Space as well. That stuff influenced a whole bunch of folks I love - Braxton in particular. 

Have you ever heard that "Live At The Village Vanguard, Again!" single CD? It's from 5/28/66, with Pharoah, Alice, Jimmy and Rashied Ali. It's only about 45 minutes long - a 15 minute Naima (a favorite of mine) and a 25-30 minute workout on My Favorite Things. It's so far out, I just love that one to death. Epic, life-changing stuff for me.

I have to be in a very particular mindset for the latter era, but I have that one (of course!), and it’s radical for sure.
I also recommend Alice Coltrane’s Ptah the El Daoud and Journey in Satchidananda. They came out after John was gone, but are certainly in the same spirit.

Just threw on Ole - Coltrane's last release on the Atlantic label - a great (maybe) under the radar record of his. Great compositions and playing. Perfect record after spending a day in a ball field while the mid 90's coaching little league...

Incredible line-up, too.

•  

The Village box from 61 is still my gold standard and go-to for him - the first box my wife for me over 20 years or so for me. Imagine being in that room for those nights of music...

Live from Seattle is the one I reach for when I really want to hear him stretch it out. 

Just threw on Ole - Coltrane's last release on the Atlantic label - a great (maybe) under the radar record of his. Great compositions and playing. Perfect record after spending a day in a ball field while the mid 90's coaching little league...

Incredible line-up, too.

The Village box from 61 is still my gold standard and go-to for him - the first box my wife for me over 20 years or so for me. Imagine being in that room for those nights of music...

Live from Seattle is the one I reach for when I really want to hear him stretch it out. I

Interesting! I've had that Ole disc for years, but never got into it that much. I had no idea Freddie Hubbard was on there.

As good as the Village Vanguard and Birdland recordings are, I still love Afro Blue Expressions the most, and the other material that can be found on the Live In Europe box. It is not as well recorded, but I actually like that aspect of it. Somehow the Village and much of the Birdland material feels too closely miked for me. I don't mind the stuff sounding like it was recorded in 1961 or 1962 if that's when it was recorded. :lol

The Vanguard box probably sounds 'too closely miked' - because it was. The stage/club is small

I believe many of the shows in the Europe were recorded on a large stage - non-club gigs, hence the larger soundscape.

Afro Blue Expression is indeed a great one --- but again these shows were recorded in a large auditorium.

Has anyone gotten the latest edition in the Miles bootleg series --- The Final Tour: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 6 - I have not yet.

I do have the below, but I haven't gotten around to get the latest one, yet.

51VqNHiB-KL.jpg

Funny side note. There have been a few times in my life where I forgot the personnel on a favorite jazz album and heard a solo and thought, 'Whoa, that guys is pushing things a little further out, maybe even annoying the frontman.'

One of those times is a couple Coltrane solos on Miles' Kind of Blue.

The other is Eric Dolphy on Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth.

Has anyone gotten the latest edition in the Miles bootleg series --- The Final Tour: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 6 - I have not yet

I've been on a budget, so I didn't spring for this, but my Coltrane obsession did cause me to seek out (and find) an mp3 download of it. It's great stuff.

I've been on a budget, so I didn't spring for this, but my Coltrane obsession did cause me to seek out (and find) an mp3 download of it. It's great stuff.

I am waiting for my library system to get it in. Did listen to a bit of it via Spotify while at work -- looking forward to listening to on my main system.

( A kind of aside -- now playing the 9/10/91 Dead show with Branford Marsalis sitting in  ---- Coltrane's influence definitely went beyond jazz)

I am waiting for my library system to get it in. Did listen to a bit of it via Spotify while at work -- looking forward to listening to on my main system.

( A kind of aside -- now playing the 9/10/91 Dead show with Branford Marsalis sitting in ---- Coltrane's influence definitely went beyond jazz)

My last show was 9/13/91. Kind of a bummer to miss that.

I heard a lot of Coltrane influence in Zappa’s guitar work when I first got turned on to jazz...the way Trane attacked his instrument in those live Europe shows, seemingly with such fury.

I watched a 30 minute snippet of the old TV show Jazz Casual (host: Ralph Gleason) from I believe Jan. '64 with the Classic Quartet late last night on YT. They do Afro Blue, Alabama, and Impressions. I then immediately went to Archive and listened to the 6/17/75 GD Winterland show, where they did an insane 25 minute Blues For Allah > Drums > Stronger Than Dirt > Blues For Allah, and when they got to the Dirt I was listening to JG's incredible playing on that and thought to myself, "Man this guy REALLY incorporated Trane's style and phrasing on this". 

I watched a 30 minute snippet of the old TV show Jazz Casual (host: Ralph Gleason) from I believe Jan. '64 with the Classic Quartet late last night on YT. They do Afro Blue, Alabama, and Impressions. I then immediately went to Archive and listened to the 6/17/75 GD Winterland show, where they did an insane 25 minute Blues For Allah > Drums > Stronger Than Dirt > Blues For Allah, and when they got to the Dirt I was listening to JG's incredible playing on that and thought to myself, "Man this guy REALLY incorporated Trane's style and phrasing on this".

Awesome!
  • 2 weeks later...

I was really psyched to get the new Lost Album, but the track listing I've seen shows several alternate takes which makes it a much less compelling release.  It would be a slog to listen to, particularly on vinyl.  It's one of the reasons I can't stand the Mosaic releases everyone else seems to love so much.  Four or five takes of the same song in a row.  Torture.   Put all the alternate takes at the end, or on a second disc.  So, I might not pick this one up even though I was initially really excited.

I was really psyched to get the new Lost Album, but the track listing I've seen shows several alternate takes which makes it a much less compelling release.  It would be a slog to listen to, particularly on vinyl.  It's one of the reasons I can't stand the Mosaic releases everyone else seems to love so much.  Four or five takes of the same song in a row.  Torture.   Put all the alternate takes at the end, or on a second disc.  So, I might not pick this one up even though I was initially really excited.

the alternate takes are only on the second disc of the deluxe edition. the single disc version (the proper "album," for all intents and purposes,) has no repeat tracks

the alternate takes are only on the second disc of the deluxe edition. the single disc version (the proper "album," for all intents and purposes,) has no repeat tracks

You are correct. No alternate takes or repeats on the main disc. Bonus for the fanatics: the “deluxe” 2-disc version is only 4 bucks extra right now!

I'm glad to be mistaken about this. Somewhere on Friday I saw a track listing that apparently was incorrect. I definitely will pick this up.

• 2 months later...

Do any of you have the Complete Stuttgart 1963 release which came out about 8 or 9 years ago? I've been listening to my Coltrane discs in chronological order (by recording dates, not release dates), and this set is amazing. It's like the bridge between the searching sound of A Love Supreme - which was recorded not long after this show - and the later, more radical avant garde material. The show features a 29-minute Impressions and a 36-minute Mr. P.C., and both are just incendiary.

It's not that easy to find online now, because it was an import, and may have fallen out of print. Essential for Trane fanatics, for sure.

Do any of you have the Complete Stuttgart 1963 release which came out about 8 or 9 years ago? I've been listening to my Coltrane discs in chronological order (by recording dates, not release dates), and this set is amazing. It's like the bridge between the searching sound of A Love Supreme - which was recorded not long after this show - and the later, more radical avant garde material. The show features a 29-minute Impressions and a 36-minute Mr. P.C., and both are just incendiary.

It's not that easy to find online now, because it was an import, and may have fallen out of print. Essential for Trane fanatics, for sure.

A 29 minute Impressions? OMFG.  :blink

I need to get this.

• 4 weeks later...

A discussion at a recent Mindfullness meeting prompted me to listen to "A Love Supreme" for the first time last night. Holy cow, that is some intense music!