Summerteeth Deluxe Edition (5LP / 4CD)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that I'll Sing It started as a Summerteeth song, did we know that??

Wow, so the vinyl and CD have different live shows?  That is...annoying to say the least.

If I was a betting man, I would say that the show from the CD set will get released next year like Live At The Troubadour did which was on the CD version of Being There. 

I wonder what was the 'disaster' part of that Tower Records performance that earned it that name.....

The below are notes in the  db.etree listing.

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=94254&show_users=true

Notes: This is a short, sweet and organic sounding 43 min. in-store promo set on the eve of the release for Summerteeth. The sound and musicianship are fantastic on every track (She's A Jar is a real standout). However, its clear from stage banter and screams of pain from the audience in response to sharp feedback, the PA is really loud with a stage monitor issue causing friction between Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennet. Under nervous fake laughter Tweedy delcares the show "an unmitigated disaster". Oh Well, their pain is our gain... It sounds great! If you're a fan of the Coomer/Bennet era, this is likely to be a real keeper. Note: This is the complete show, the only edits I made to the tape was to remove the station ID's. I love XRT and have been listening for many years, but the ID's were much louder than the music and was throwing off the normalization. Plus, tweedy gives them plenty of props during the show.

I was going to say LOL on this:

The two remaining discs in the CD version of SUMMERTEETH: DELUXE EDITION feature a previously unissued live show.  The concert took place late in the Summerteeth tour, on November 1, 1999 in Colorado at The Boulder Theatre, when the new songs had been road-tested and the band was in top form.

But we don't have a source for this show. And I have never seen it anywhere. So the LOL is on me. 

When Jeff mentioned that the show was from Boulder, I immediately ran to Setlist FM to look at the setlist and 3 songs were unknown. The news today finally made someone update the setlist at that site. Lol! The 3 unknown songs were: Candyfloss, Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway(Again) and Kingpin. Kinda strange.

This is an amazing set!

Pre-order is up: https://wilcostore.com/collections/summerteeth-reissue

Ooof $51 to ship to Canada, that's insane. Still bought it though. No regrets!

Don't forget about import charges, you may be almost doubling the price! I guess you want the coloured vinyl, but the vinyl box set is $106 on amazon.ca (free shipping) and the CD set an incredbly reasonable $37. I pre-ordered both, may cancel the vinyl later though.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08H5DG744/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08H5DD75Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered the colored vinyl, hopefully I don't end up needing to buy a digital copy for the Boulder show later because that also looks awesome.

Much easier to pull the trigger on something like this when my concert budget has been reduced to virtually nothing this year!

Don't forget about import charges, you may be almost doubling the price! I guess you want the coloured vinyl, but the vinyl box set is $106 on amazon.ca (free shipping) and the CD set an incredbly reasonable $37. I pre-ordered both, may cancel the vinyl later though.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08H5DG744/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08H5DD75Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't actually been hit with import charges on anything I've bought from the states in AGES, since at least 2018. It's weird, every once in awhile I'll have a period where every record I get will have charges for a few months, then nothing. So I just cross my fingers and hope the mail gods will be good to me!

I haven't actually been hit with import charges on anything I've bought from the states in AGES, since at least 2018. It's weird, every once in awhile I'll have a period where every record I get will have charges for a few months, then nothing. So I just cross my fingers and hope the mail gods will be good to me!

Normally ok if it comes with Canada Post, if it is UPS or something then all bets are off.

It took a bit of time to absorb what we’re getting for demos & outtakes, so I made a list to help me sort it out. I placed Tried & True under Summer Teeth, since the lyrics are nearly identical.

* = demo

+ = alternate take

Can’t Stand It

*+She’s A Jar

Demo

Alternate

*A Shot In The Arm

Demo

~We’re Just Friends

We’re Just Friends/Yee Haw (Instrumental) (10/29/99 Minneapolis soundcheck)

*+I’m Always In Love

Demo

Early Run Through

*+Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway(Again)

Demo

Alternate

+Pieholden Suite

Alternate

How To Fight Loneliness

Via Chicago

+ELT

Alternate

+My Darling

Alternate

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

*+++Summer Teeth

Tried & True (demo)

Slow Rhodes Version

Tried & True (alternate)

Alternate

*+In A Future Age

Demo

Take 3

*^Candy Floss

Demo

Intro

I’ll Sing It (demo)

Two Guitars (instrumental) (demo)

No Hurry (demo)

Can’t Locator It (guitar riff) (demo)

Viking Dan (outtake)

It’s possible that Can’t Locator It is related to Can’t Stand It. Demos of She’s A Jar, Via Chicago, & ELT are available on Alpha Mike Foxtrot. As are remixes of A Shot In The Arm & Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway (Again). And then there’s the demos that have been circulating for years. Lots of tracks for this beloved record is a great thing.

I can’t wait to hear 23 seconds of silence remastered!

It's a cross between Locator and Can't Stand It. Half nervy post punk, half Smashmouthesque radio hit.

The title definitely grabbed my attention. Hmm. If I were to assume, I’d assume that the arrangement might be similar to Locator and not the lyrics. Or Jeff is a prophet.

What’s the over/under on Viking Dan being a screen name for someone on here?

Anyone else get a I Am Trying To Break Your Heart/Jesus, Etc. vibe from the Slow Rhodes version of Summer Teeth?

Is it the assumption that this is what Jeff was finishing up that he mentioned recently or should we still be expecting a new Tweedy album sometime early next year?

I would expect one because there's a song Whisper being released tomorrow on that benefit cd. The personnel shows Jeff, Spencer & Jim Elkington. Of course, it's entirely possible that that song was just recorded for that benefit cd.

Just noticed that the bass lines are nearly identical. Mind blown.

What Jeff plays on guitar acoustically on Locator (1:10 in the video) is the same as what he plays electrically on Can't Stand It (0:40 seconds into the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6mjmDwj7o