54 minutes ago, arjaykay said:

I have the 45.  "Half Life" is a full band version.  Three guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, three part vocals on the chorus.  Glenn's drums up front in the mix.

"I Can't" is also a full band version.  Two or three guitars, bass, drums, more prominent keyboards, two or three part harmony vocals.  Glenn's drums up front in the mix.

Both songs sound as if they could have been from the "Ode To Joy" sessions.  Same type of feel to the songs as the songs on "Ode To Joy".

Thanks. This is about a million times more than anyone has said yet, anywhere, on the internet. I've read all of it.

56 minutes ago, arjaykay said:

I have the 45.  "Half Life" is a full band version.  Three guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, three part vocals on the chorus.  Glenn's drums up front in the mix.

"I Can't" is also a full band version.  Two or three guitars, bass, drums, more prominent keyboards, two or three part harmony vocals.  Glenn's drums up front in the mix.

Both songs sound as if they could have been from the "Ode To Joy" sessions.  Same type of feel to the songs as the songs on "Ode To Joy".

Thank you! Those descriptions sound great — I hope we get to hear these soon.

I just got these records. Thanks to the very special Bull Black Nova enthusiast fan who helped me out! 

Agreed with arjaykay, both songs are clearly from the Ode to Joy sessions, and either one could easily slide onto that record. In fact, the sleeve is made out of the pages of the OTJ deluxe edition book, like the Chicago version of OTJ was. 

As we already know, Half Life really a good song and this full band version is a treat. It has a mandolin sounding acoustic guitar doing some nice lead (I imagine a high capo'd acoustic from Nels??). The strong, non-cymbal drums that Ode to Joy is known for are present. There's some pump organ sounds and a buzzy string instrument that I would hesitate to call a sitar but I don't know what it is. (I think there'e a similar instrument on Quiet Amplifier)

I Can't, is in my opinion, even better and frankly I think it should have made the album, though I don't know what in place of. It's upbeat and catchy (for OTJ) though not as much as Everyone Hides or Hold Me Anyway. It still sounds like Ode to Joy but I think would have added a different aspect to the record. Maybe, ultimately, Jeff and co just figured it was too different. IMO, and if you listen to Alpha Bravo Charlie you know I occasionally overvalue some of the more obscure songs (allegedly), 

Modern Girl is a pretty good cover. They make it their own while also staying true to the original. Nels has some very Nels guitar parts at the end.

A Shot In The Arm is pretty much the same approach but I think it's even better. It has the urgency that a lot of fans have been claiming was missing on the most recent two S-K records.

Hopefully all four songs come to Spotify soon or they put the remaining records up on the Wilco Store!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent news! 

PS…I asked about the Half Life/I Can’t single and they are also selling that one. 
$28 for both which includes shipping. A bit odd to email them directly to get the ball rolling, but I’m just glad that they’re being offered. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Madcap said:

My Half Life/I Can't showed up today and both songs are just awesome.  Their next album could be OTJ part II and I would love it.

I'm down. The facebook group would shit a brick, which would make me enjoy it even more, I'm embarrassed to admit.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So it came a few days ago and I've spun it a half dozen times. Definitely a good seven inch. Felt pleasant if not a little slight, but there's more there then I appreciated at first.

More than anything these songs feel like the missing link between Schmilco and Ode to Joy, which explains why they might not have made the cut. They have the band on small instruments play some weird, heartfelt folk ditty element I associate with Schmilco, but with the self-imposed "there is no drum set" percussion approach of OTJ. In both cases the effect of the percussion approach is not as striking or fascinating as the Ode songs. More like, "This is a nice little tune..... hmmm some unusual drums in that kit perhaps", which is not how I hear Ode.

• 2 weeks later...