Cyclorama: Langer, Adam: 9781635578065: Amazon.com: Books

One more that I forgot to post!  

For anyone who thinks our phones aren't listening to us: I went to college with Adam Langer, did not know him at all, but now we've got a couple of friends in common on facebook.  I was mentioning to my sister last week that I was reading this (we both very much enjoyed one of his previous books, Crossing California).  Next time I looked at facebook, I had a new suggested friend: Adam Langer. :brow

• Haha 2
Just now, chuckrh said:

Looks interesting.

It is. I love Nick Hornby, so my oldest got me his new one for Christmas. On the surface, two seemingly disparate artists. After research, two artists with many similarities. He compares them in various ways. Hornby is a big fan of both, and it’s written with his humor, of course. If you’re a Hornby, Prince and/or Dickens fan, or enjoy reading about artistic geniuses, you’ll enjoy it. It’s also a very quick read.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Doug C said:

It is. I love Nick Hornby, so my oldest got me his new one for Christmas. On the surface, two seemingly disparate artists. After research, two artists with many similarities. He compares them in various ways. Hornby is a big fan of both, and it’s written with his humor, of course. If you’re a Hornby, Prince and/or Dickens fan, or enjoy reading about artistic geniuses, you’ll enjoy it. It’s also a very quick read.

Steve Martin wrote a play, which I saw 20+ years ago, called Picasso at the Lapin Agile.  It's an imagining of Picasso and Einstein meeting a Paris cafe and discussing their respective geniuses.  Lots of fun!  Steve Martin described it as "Focusing on Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity and Picasso’s master painting, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, the play attempts to explain, in a light-hearted way, the similarity of the creative process involved in great leaps of imagination in art and science".  The ending is incredibly silly, but it's worth seeing if you ever get the chance.

On 1/28/2023 at 6:07 AM, theashtraysays said:

Just finished this one ... how I've lived in Kentucky these past ~40 years and not read her books is an embarrassment, but started with Prodigal Summer and worked my way through this one.  She's a brilliant writer. 

51IvQ1MrWjL.jpg

Love this one, I read it many years ago.  Due for a re-read!

• Like 1

The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is one of my all-time faves, so I'm not sure why I never read anything else by her.  I'm well overdue for this one (literally, it was due back to the library yesterday; I'll need to get through it quickly :dancing).

812hLGWChLL.jpg

Somehow I've never read these before. I'm about half way through Two Towers and both it and Fellowship have been great. The detail and mythology in Tolkien's world is amazing. It's also making me really appreciate Jackson's adaptation. I can't imagine what a mammoth task turning these books into screenplays and then films would have been in the late 90s/early 00s but I think overall Jackson really made some smart decisions. My goal is to finish the trilogy and then take on.... The Silmarillion. Wish me luck.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Does the Leon book mentioned anything about him being a type of 'cult leader'?

It has been awhile since I watched the Mad Dogs & Englishmen film, but I remember his portrayal in that movie made me feel un-easy from some reason.

Spent last week in the Georgia mountains, so I decided to read Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell. Interesting book. Doesn't hold back at all -- can seen why some Georgians are not a fan. 

2 hours ago, calvino said:

Does the Leon book mentioned anything about him being a type of 'cult leader'?

It has been awhile since I watched the Mad Dogs & Englishmen film, but I remember his portrayal in that movie made me feel un-easy from some reason.

I am only about half way through but it definitely talks about the tension between Leon and Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs tour.  Much of it seemed to be around the perception that Leon was running the show and trying to make his name off of Cocker.  And part of it seemed to be based on the contrast between Cocker's manic performance and Leon's calm presence.  That said, the book suggests that Leon is really the person who made that tour possible.    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

61897930.jpg

I went to college with the author.  This one is getting crazy great reviews, recommended for fans of quirky music, mysterious disappearances, and obsessively-researched biographies.