I just saw a few secs of a clip someone did with Bob singing Cassidy in Barlow's wake. And what seems like a lot of people filming with their phones . Depressing.

Just watched that, too. Looks to be in Barlow's home.

Apparently it was put up on the Ratdog Tour page....

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, that picture freaked me out a bit.

Yeah. However people want to grieve is ok by me, but I really didn't want to watch that. 

Open caskets, kissing the dead goodbye...I don't do that. It just strikes me as sort of weird. But if one feels the need to see/touch the deceased then by all means do what you have to do.

I happened to land on Antiques Road Show the other night and some guy had a New Orleans Pop Festival poster on there.  I guess it is sort of a forgotten festival. It was a couple of weeks after Woodstock. 

• 3 weeks later...

Phil and Bob did Operator. I wonder how long it's been since that song was played.

I don't know if Phil & Friends have ever done it but it was played just 4-5 times with Pig, all in Fall '70. 

I watched the one from the other night, and it wasn't too shabby.

I don't know if Phil & Friends have ever done it but it was played just 4-5 times with Pig, all in Fall '70. 

I watched the one from the other night, and it wasn't too shabby.

P&F have done it before. I think the one from Friday night was really nice.

I have been into Easy Wind from that TV show Calibration as of late. 

I never get tired of it! I think its one of the finest GD live performances of all time and certainly one of the best Bob Weir guitar performances, its almost like he is a second lead guitarist.  Pig is SMOKIN'!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozp2P_ENBo

Too bad about the announcer talking over the music, though.  I sure would like to edit that out if it were possible.

Saw acoustic Hot Tuna do Operator a few years back. Think Jorma covered it on a recent album. So, kinda similar to the Bob and Phil thing. Tuna's version made me realize that the music to Operator is basically a rip off musically of Fishin Blues, the traditional popularized by Taj Mahal. Listen and compare. 

Have enjoyed the Phil and Bob stuff a lot so far, nice review in Rolling Stone that captures the magic and misses pretty well. Think the set with Trey finally delivered on the hope that never came through at Fare Thee Well. When they opened up that Jack Straw, I felt a tingle go up my leg.

I enjoyed it, even if some of it was sloppy ("Cassidy," comes to mind). This is from RCMH, btw ;)

The Wheel was a bit of a train wreck, too, with Trey's vocal flub. Thought it sound good overall, though. 

Has Phil or Bobby played there, since 80? I think the 80 run was the only time the Dead played there.

The Wheel was a bit of a train wreck, too, with Trey's vocal flub. Thought it sound good overall, though. 

Has Phil or Bobby played there, since 80? I think the 80 run was the only time the Dead played there.

I don't think any of them have been back in there to play in any form since Oct. '80.

I don't think any of them have been back in there to play in any form since Oct. '80.

I didn't think so - pretty cool that they got to play there again after all these years.

Pretty sure there was a Furthur show or two at RCMH. I recall some show a few years back where Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, and Larry Campbell sat in for a song or two. Maybe that was somewhere else?

Agreed on the rough spots during these shows, particularly with the vocals, but they have been more endearing than detracting. They started to flub the second verse of Dark Star, but Bob had a nice recovery and made a change that seemed to suit the psychedelic non-linear nature of the tune. Also don't particularly enjoy Bob singing the big Jerry ballads, but liked that Standing on the Moon. The echo effect on his vocal worked well, rather than him attempting to emulate Jerry's howls. Think Trey sang that at Fare Thee Well, but glad Bob took it.