• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45th Anniversary of the GAMH "One From The Vault" show.

Just about a perfect show. And the one that broke the vault open, thank God. 36 Dick's Picks, 35 Dave's, 17 Road Trips, countless box sets and Rhino single show releases., and no signs of stopping. Love Live The Dead!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the Dead for the first time 40 years go tonight (in Providence RI):

Set 1

Feel Like A Stranger
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Dire Wolf
New Minglewood Blues
Althea
Looks Like Rain
Far From Me
China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider

Set 2

Samson And Delilah
Ramble On Rose
Supplication Jam ->
Estimated Prophet ->
Eyes Of The World ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Other One ->
Wharf Rat ->
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
Good Lovin'

Encore
U.S. Blues

Saw the Dead for the first time 40 years go tonight (in Providence RI):

Set 1

Feel Like A Stranger

Peggy-O

Cassidy

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Althea

Looks Like Rain

Far From Me

China Cat Sunflower ->

I Know You Rider

Set 2

Samson And Delilah

Ramble On Rose

Supplication Jam ->

Estimated Prophet ->

Eyes Of The World ->

Drums ->

Space ->

The Other One ->

Wharf Rat ->

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->

Good Lovin'

Encore

U.S. Blues

That looks like a good first show to me.What do you remember most from the night?

That looks like a good first show to me.What do you remember most from the night?

Random thoughts/memories:

• There were not many people on my high school into the Dead so it was fun to see this scene
  • People cheered loudly at the "I wish I was a headlight" line in I Know You Rider
  • I knew drums/space was a thing but didn't quite get it
  • I was surprised at how quiet it was during parts of Wharf Rat
  • And I really remember leaving and wanting to see them again
  • 1 month later...

I never felt unsafe at a show, but I have seen a lot sketchy stuff. I can see all the stuff mentioned in that article happening. 

Also, I have been to a few Rainbow gatherings in the early 90's. One can tell some of the people there were evading the law and very distrustful. My buddy was thinking about doing a paper for college on the community, focusing on the structure and all. We brought it up and most of the people we talked to, spoke up and discussed it a candid manner, while others would just walk off. Cameras were highly discourage, also. They were always enjoyable, though, and I never felt unsafe. 

At one of the gatherings, I did witness a group of locals in a pick up truck ( I am assuming locals, since we were in Southern, IL and I know they do not take too kindly to hippie transients) , fire bombed a parked car. 

Dave's Picks 37 just announced: 4/15/78 plus unidentified "bonus material" from some other show on the same tour.

No word on what Vol. 38 w/bonus disc will entail.

I think I'm gonna sit next year out. I have more than enough of this stuff, and can always buy 7/18/72 a la carte if they ever release it.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:41 PM, Mr. Heartbreak said:

Dave's Picks 37 just announced: 4/15/78 plus unidentified "bonus material" from some other show on the same tour.

No word on what Vol. 38 w/bonus disc will entail.

I think I'm gonna sit next year out. I have more than enough of this stuff, and can always buy 7/18/72 a la carte if they ever release it.

It would be nice if they moved to a digital delivery option. 

I just replaced my 10-year old Mac, and the new one doesn't have a CD Drive!

10 hours ago, Winston Legthigh said:

It would be nice if they moved to a digital delivery option. 

I just replaced my 10-year old Mac, and the new one doesn't have a CD Drive!

Yeah, I no longer have a CD drive, and my old 6-disc player crapped out a while back—so I’m reduced to playing CDs only in the car! I think they should automatically provide a download link for those who buy the discs, but also offer digital only.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:58 PM, Mr. Heartbreak said:

Yeah, I no longer have a CD drive, and my old 6-disc player crapped out a while back—so I’m reduced to playing CDs only in the car! I think they should automatically provide a download link for those who buy the discs, but also offer digital only.

I see they're no longer doing pre-orders as well. Strange decision. 

23 hours ago, Winston Legthigh said:

I see they're no longer doing pre-orders as well. Strange decision. 

Not sure I understand this. You mean they're not allowing a la carte pre-orders on the next pick--or not doing pre-orders on the subscription? Seems like you can pre-order the sub here.

On 10/31/2020 at 1:26 PM, Mr. Heartbreak said:

Not sure I understand this. You mean they're not allowing a la carte pre-orders on the next pick--or not doing pre-orders on the subscription? Seems like you can pre-order the sub here.

No pre-orders on individual Dave's Picks. It goes on sale the day it goes on sale. 

Ah, okay. I thought it was always like that.

I've decided not to subscribe for 2021. I suppose I can always buy an individual pick a la carte on the sale day. I've got more than enough Dead for a lifetime, some of it in folders I haven't even gotten around to yet!