With everything going on with the virus thought it might be good to write about the silver lining during this time so lets share some positive things if you have some to share:

More time to exercise!

No commute/working from home

Lower credit card bills

More family time

Time to listen to all the records I didn’t get to

Instagram concerts

Yard work complete

Caught up on tv

Lot of napping lol

I start work from home tomorrow, and was considering all the benefits of that. 

- Riley (the family dog) curled up on the rug beside me all day

- Eating my daily salad from an actual bowl instead of a plastic container (bonus points for a non-plastic fork!!)

- Music from speakers instead of earbuds

- Wayyyyy better view out my own window

- Not having to decide in the morning what snacks I'll want that day (there will be snacks!)

- Lack of white noise attempting to drown out the cubicle drone

- Coats / umbrellas not needed

- My Wilco (and others) poster walls

- A REAL whiteboard

- Did I mention Riley? 

So, yeah, I think I'll dig it.  Will miss the ability to interact with co-workers, and some things will be more difficult to get done, but I think the environment will be pretty darn cool.  I have a really good office space at home (nearly empty nesting), and it's a very comfortable place to be. 

-Stay inside and play Animal Crossing with the wife

-Avoid the outdoors (still waiting on spring here!)

-Spend the work day with basset hounds Hank, Booker, and Mavis

-Listen to records while working

-Don't have to talk to coworkers

-Use my advanced skills of not going out and doing things.

-No button up shirts during the work day, more time to wear my extensive collection of band shirts

-No commute means sleeping in an extra 30 minutes

-No annoying co-workers

More bike rides (though this weather has been too chilly to bring the kids, and now it's too snowy!

More time to open up those Travis Picking For Beginners books I bought myself for christmas.

More time to cook fantastic weekday dinners. 

More time to research installing a bidet attachment, while I contemplate toilet paper supply lines. 

More time to dive into Star Wars Rebels, and Star Wars Clone Wars episodes with my boys. 

More time for long-form Lego projects (the Apollo 11 model took 4 hours on day 1. Now what?)

We busted out the board games as a family for the first time in a long time. After having to sell Atlantic Ave, Ventnor Ave and Marvin Gardens to my cheating 14 year old daughter we moved to a more civilized round of Clue. The kids had never played it....then we watched the movie which is free on Amazon. Great movie. Also, musical side note.... the host of the party, John Boddy is played by Lee Ving from Fear. Odd casting call. 

I realized that if I'm not able to find time to exercise during this self-quarantine period it's never going to happen.  So yeah, things are pretty much the same for me in many ways -- not the least of which is my ability to find more clouds than silver linings!

(Going for a walk this afternoon, weather-permitting.)

I realized that if I'm not able to find time to exercise during this self-quarantine period it's never going to happen.  

I seriously miss the ellipticals I used at my school's fitness room and the local YMCA. I hate biking when it's below 50. The cold shreds my lungs. So.... using an old Airdyne stationary bike that is totally uncomfortable or going for 1.5-2 hour walks. 

I have to say in all honesty the quarantine is like a full reset for my family...in a good way. First of all I am married with three kids ages 14,12, and 7. I work around 50 hours a week and take work calls all day and night even when I'm off, on vacation or during weekends. My wife owns and operates a hair salon she bought at age 20 with a few employees and a receptionist. Kids play several sports a piece. This time of year it is very common for us on a Saturday to have 3 soccer games and a baseball game to cover. Needless to say we are at a very busy stage of our life. So for the first time in a long time not only do we not have any  obligations but  we are being told to stay put ..and if you do go out everything is closed so there is no where to go. I am seeing my kids more, they are hanging with each other together more, we're playing board games and watching movies. I can only speak for my wife and myself but we welcome another few weeks of quarantine. I think the silver lining out of this pandemic for a lot of people may be slowing down, look around, enjoy the people next to you from now on. If you are a parent and run around like most of us do these days this quarantine is an excellent opportunity to slow your kids down, see what they are up to, cook some stuff together, watch some 80's movies together, play Monopoly, clean out the basement...whatever. 

Hey, we should be taking a pretty decent whack out of our carbon footprint.

watch some 80's movies together, play Monopoly, clean out the basement...whatever.

I agree with all you said except I can’t wait to go back to work and school in the sense that homeschooling an working together at the same time is logistically difficult but I had to laugh at your movie line. I have a 4 and 7 year old and we have been watching a lot of movies from the 80’s and 90’s and wow are they inappropriate! Saw kindergarten cop last week and the language, violence and inappropriate scenes are way more then I remembered , same you back to the future.

I agree with all you said except I can’t wait to go back to work and school in the sense that homeschooling an working together at the same time is logistically difficult but I had to laugh at your movie line. I have a 4 and 7 year old and we have been watching a lot of movies from the 80’s and 90’s and wow are they inappropriate! Saw kindergarten cop last week and the language, violence and inappropriate scenes are way more then I remembered , same you back to the future.

I put Goonies on several years ago thinking it was Swiss Family Robinson or something and looked at my wife like "should they be watching this??"

In general though I feel like my blood pressure has dropped since the quarantine despite the fact I'll probably gain 40 pounds and could contract a deadly illness just by looking at my neighbor across the fence. One day we'll all look back and say "things are too crazy, why can't we just go back to the good old days during the quarantine".

I put Goonies on several years ago thinking it was Swiss Family Robinson or something and looked at my wife like "should they be watching this??"

In general though I feel like my blood pressure has dropped since the quarantine despite the fact I'll probably gain 40 pounds and could contract a deadly illness just by looking at my neighbor across the fence. One day we'll all look back and say "things are too crazy, why can't we just go back to the good old days during the quarantine".

Just watched Ferris Bullers Day Off with the kids yesterday lots of cursing I didn’t remember

Sirius/XM will be streaming for free until 5/15/20 -- it was nice to listen to a few minutes of Stern -- never was a huge, huge fan - but it's nice to hear his perspective on whats going in NYC.

Also, regarding old movies and kids - I watched the original Bad News Bears movie with my 10 year old a bit ago -- I definitely had to cringe a bit. Great movie though and I think message far outweighs any negatives of the swearing and 'off-color' humor of it all.  Matthau was, of course, awesome.  (an aside - I coach my kid's baseball team - so it was fun to throw in a few  "see, at least I am not as bad as that coach (while I point at Buttermaker or Turner )"