Jon Brion at Intonation Festival

You couldn't have asked for better circumstances for this weekend's Intonation Festival in Chicago. Saturday saw a perfect summer day: sunny but just cool enough for us to sit in the middle of the field and take in a few performances, including Ghostface Killah and the Boredoms. Sunday's morning rain couldn't deter us from our goal: Jon Brion's first scheduled performance since his tendinitis kicked in back in April.

At the start, we were concerned that they wouldn't have enough time to set up his loopers and other materials, but then again, the Largo performances are subject to the same issues. More worrisome was Jon massaging his hand before the performance began.

The more *ahem* seasoned Largo veterans could probably tell that he played a lot less piano than normal, but hey, when you have Benmont Tench pitching in, you can probably slack a little. Instead, Jon mostly stuck to the guitar, though the drums wouldn't be spared his pounding either. Again, he had a little help on the skins, thanks to Glenn Kotche.

Overall, it was a joyous set that saw Jon, Benmont, and Glenn in glorious spirits, and the friends around me sharing in the spectacle of it all made the afternoon even more wonderful. I really miss Friday nights at Largo, and there's still no indication that Jon's performances will resume anytime soon. But that's beside the point--live music has always been about living in the moment.

The setlist:

Same Thing

Fooling Myself

Happy with You [song build]

Benmont's piano improv while Jon tuned

Why Do You Do This to Yourself *

Tell Her No

The Girl I Knew [song build]

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright/Knock Yourself Out *

This Will Be Our Year **

Baby You're a Rich Man **

I Believe She's Lying [song build]

encore

Waterloo Sunset **

* = with Benmont Tench

** = with Benmont Tench and Glenn Kotche

Overall, it was a joyous set that saw Jon, Benmont, and Glenn in glorious spirits, and the friends around me sharing in the spectacle of it all made the afternoon even more wonderful. I really miss Friday nights at Largo, and there's still no indication that Jon's performances will resume anytime soon. But that's beside the point--live music has always been about living in the moment.

:wub Seconded. Seeing Jon in Chicago was a rare treat. I especially loved today's (yesterday's) version of "I Believe She's Lying" (complete with kicking the piano!) and "Baby You're a Rich Man."

And at least it waited to REALLY pour until midnight or so when I was finally on my way back home on the interstate. :ermm

It's the next morning and I'm still nearly as blissed out as I was during the show. I'm still kind of too sleepy and non-caffienated to string coherent thoughts together, but I'll try for some incoherent ones.

The show was by necessity less free-wheeling than the ones we see in the dark dark darkness of Largo -- the festival timing wasn't going to let him do a slow burn for three hours -- but his willingness to fling himself whereever the mood takes him was apparent. At one point he was being slightly distracted by the guy who was soundchecking drums on the other stage, so he incorporated it by matching the beat and turning it into "Tell Her No," which was some request someone had thrown out moments before. Very Brion, very delightful.

I hope someone has pictures of the interaction between Glenn and Jon. There was considerable warmth there. And Glenn was pretty buzzed afterward, even as he (inaccurately) said he sucked.

We were thinking of you Kris -- one of the comedians who intro-d the acts was Neil Hamburger. He made fun of Madonna quite nicely.

Glad you made it back, Brianne! I didn't realize you were driving home last night!

:brow *jealous*

Needless to say, working on Sunday nights meant missing this show. And missing this closer-to-home opportunity to see Jon Brion is definitely the lowpoint of my summer concert calendar scheduling conflicts. Perhaps I'm destined to wait for the tendinitis to resolve before I lose my Jon Brion virginity. :blush

However, I will say this much --- Benmont Tench gets around! I was just sitting in front of him at the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers show on Friday night in Indy. Altogether a different story, different type of evening for sure, but nonethless ... Benmont Tench! Yay!

And Glenn Kotche? :stunned

Shouldn't marauding paparazzi-ism be illegal or something?

And hey, we also see shows in cities where our friends don't live, but the reporter's jealousy must've gotten in the way of his note-taking.

:P

caught this on another messageboard and thougt it was cool:

jon brion - clearly the winner of the 2006 intonation "jasmine loves me" award (2005 - les savy fav). i didn't give a crap about him before his set. once he started, i was like, "why is this fool running around from instrument to instrument? doesn't he realize that his set is only an hour? what a pompous asshole." man, did i feel foolish when all that running around turned into the best set at intonation. he brought out a piano guy from the heartbreakers and then glenn kotche graced us with his lovely presence, but brion absolutely rocked. i have a new respect for him. also, the fact that his was the only act to not be introduced by those ASSHOLE vice announcers, and he got an intro from a head intonation guy who clearly was out of his gourd to see him live, well, that made me very happy, too.

Nice! And yes, that head intonation guy looked like he was going to weep with joy, especially during the encore.

OK, here's one of my favorite randomly acquired comments, too:

this was the day that featured a true show stopper: after jon brion got done showing everyone what musicianship means, there wasn't anything the remaining bands could do. everything after was totally anti-climatic.
They almost make up for that t-shirt. :unsure

:lol

I hope that once his tendonitis clears up, he'll come back to chicago and play a club date. I feel a little bummed that I missed him, but I really didn't want to deal with that festival.

it's kinda funny, I've been to L.A. a couple times and seen him there, but when he plays in the town I live in I didn't go. :blink

live music has always been about living in the moment.

The older I get, the more jaded I find myself at live shows. Until this set. I haven't enjoyed a set of music this much all year -- and maybe in many years. The whole way down to Union Park I kept thinking -- how the hell is Jon's set going to translate during daylight, outdoors, in front of what -- 5,000+ people. There is no way this guy is going to be able to hold the attention of this crowd under these conditions. Boy, not only was I wrong -- but he exceeded my expectations ten-fold. He paced his set perfectly, integrated the machines and guests at appropriate moments, and looked like he was having more fun than we were. He even played on of my favorite Brion songs -- "Same Thing" right off the bat. Excellent way to ease a JB first-timer into a set. I knew we were witnessing the highlight of the festival when you saw the promoter (forever dubbed "fan boy") singing along and smiling through Jon's entire set. When the main set ended and Jon had cut maybe 15 minutes into Pollard's set -- I was shocked, but very happy, to see the promoter coaxing us and Jon out on to the stage for an encore.

I wandered over and saw an excellent, but anti-climatic set by Pollard. He even found himself wondering out loud who that guy was that played just before him on the other stage and cut into his set.

Uyen, keep us posted, cause have credit card, will travel -- to Largo.