This months UNCUT magazine

The one I always end up skimming is The Word (never buy any of them though).

I have a soft spot for David Hepworth and Mark Ellen. It's cinema + books as weel as music, but they always seem to have some pieces I like, and a good sense of humour. Because it probably goes for an older age group, it isn't so hung up on appearing trendy. There's some good Keith Richards stories this month - a great one told by Nick Low about when he turned up at a Rockpile show. Dave Edmunds and Richards always used to argue over music apparently. Good for Dave!

Oh, and Gimme Shelter (the altamont film) is on BBC4 next Monday night. Worth a watch if you like the Stones. Was reading a post from someone who was there on another messageboard this morning, plus some who were at Woodstock.

I actually think the Uncut revamp was long overdue and well executed in every respect bar one - the films section. That used to get equal coverage as the music but now you'll get about 5 reviews at best. This may have something to do with the release of their new DVD sister mag.

But, seriously, it needed a kick up the rollocks, how many more Led Zep, Beatles, Dylan covers could they run?

At least they've started giving covers out to people who are still a going concern (Morrissey, Ian Brown, etc) and using writers of considerable quality too (Barney Hoskyns, Paul Morley, Jon Wilde). So hats off from this camp.

As for the NME - well that's basically Heat magazine for the pimple generation. Q Magazine? That is just a fuckin joke - it's the print version of I Love The 80's, what they gonna have a list about this month? Ten Best Songs To Wipe Your Arse To? Take a standard album review too - they are 99% about the band's history and 1% about the actual album - y'know that thing you might actually be interested in buying? I can write better reviews than Q. On an ant's cock. With a Magic Marker.

And, yes, I've tried, so it's a factual statement.

And relax.....

Take a standard album review too - they are 99% about the band's history and 1% about the actual album - y'know that thing you might actually be interested in buying? I can write better reviews than Q. On an ant's cock. With a Magic Marker.

And relax.....

:lol

Take a standard album review too - they are 99% about the band's history and 1% about the actual album - y'know that thing you might actually be interested in buying? I can write better reviews than Q. On an ant's cock. With a Magic Marker.

And relax.....

"Nurse, Fetch the Laudanum!"

I had a subscription to Uncut for a year. The cds were crap. Most of the cds had one great song, two mediocre songs, and the rest was garbage. I could probably assemble two good cds worth of material from a year worth of thier cds.

And relax.....

God, I love the British. :wub

I buy stuff becasue it moves me, not becasue some dude says it's the greatist thing since Elvis was Jesus.

Well obviously, but that's after you've listened to it. How on earth are you supposed to try and listen to new things unless you get some guidance from a source you generally trust to give you an idea of new artists? Personally I'd never buy an album based on a review, but I would search for the artist on a peer to peer and download some stuff or check out clips on amazon or something. If someone gives a review 5 out of 5 then I'll be interested enough to search for them on the internet, that's not being led by someone into buying something just because they say it's good, it's just opening up your eyes to the chances that someone might actually have heard a band that you haven't yet ,that are actually good.

I still don't comprehend buying something because of reviews or how many stars or numbers it gets.

That's not how I use reviews. If I like what I read in a review (even if it's not an enthusiastic, four-stars-or-better endorsement) I'll Oink that album and check it out. If it's crap, I'll delete the files, no harm done. If it's great, I'll buy the CD.

Reviews merely serve as a kind of spam filter for me. The obviously crappy stuff gets tossed aside, leaving stuff that may or may not be good, but is at least worth the effort to investigate.

I doubt I've ever bought an album simply because it received a great review.

Ive been thinking of cancelling my subscription for a few months now. But, every month I give it the benefit of the doubt and stick with it as its the only music mag thats british that I actually like. But this month is utter garbage - the cobbled together feel may have something to do with them scrapping an entire issue and coming up with a new one after Syd Barrett died. Its no excuse for the reviews though.

I cancelled mine after 6 months- it's so stale. Haven't bought it since the revamp because I'm sick of how backwards-looking it is. What the UK needs is a magazine that explores the left-of-field and is more celebratory of modern stuff. I'm not saying there isn't room for a little history, but what about indepth articles on more recent innovators?

Clash kind of comes close but the fashion section is pretty wank and the reviews offer no critical perspective whatsoever. Good for interviews and up and coming bands though.

The one I always end up skimming is The Word (never buy any of them though). Because it probably goes for an older age group, it isn't so hung up on appearing trendy.

I find Word a bit too dry. Maybe it's because I'm still a whippersnapper.

Rich, have you read Under the Radar? Probably my favourite, although I've never picked up Paste or some of the other alternative music magazines.

Me and my dad collectively get Uncut, Mojo, Paste, Harp and Under The Radar. Mojo is usually pretty good I enjoyed the last one on Revolver haven't gotten a chance to read the newest one with Thom Yorke on the cover. Paste is good usually can't really complain about them. Harp has become really tiny almost as thin as Spin! Under The Radar I think is pretty great even though they only put it out 4 or 5 times a year they always have nice lengthy articles with bands that I like so... New Uncut hasn't come in yet but I will give my imput after I read it. I can't say I have been too impressed with the last few issues but oh well.

Also I do not like Uncut because they made me buy "Espers II". ughghghghghgh

What the UK needs is a magazine that explores the left-of-field and is more celebratory of modern stuff. I'm not saying there isn't room for a little history, but what about indepth articles on more recent innovators?

Rich, have you read Under the Radar? Probably my favourite, although I've never picked up Paste or some of the other alternative music magazines.

Yes, I've picked up Under The Radar a few times...

Have you read Plan B? Thats definite left-of-field - I come away from that realising I know nothing about music and I barely dip my toe in the ocean of bands around.... writing not always great, but in terms of opening your mind it's been great.