New Wilco Song Lyrics Seem Sub-Par

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the new material and can't wait until the new record is released. No doubt about it - I'll be one of those fans who buys it on the Tuesday it's released. That all said, I've always wondered how the process works. What comes first - the chord progression (music) or lyrics?

After listening to a slew of old Wilco and new Wilco shows over the last few days, I'm convinced we've seen a change in the band.

Old Wilco - raw live performances and very polished (perhaps over produced) records.

New Wilco - very intricate, more reversed live sound (almost orchestral) with TO BE DETERMINED studio records.

I'm trying to get my hands around what others may be getting at here...

The question that comes to mind - has the change altered how songs are written and how songs evolve? With the caliber of the current line-up, is the music is coming first, rather than lyrics? Nothing wrong w/ that. Hell, if I had or was in a band that was essentailly an "all star team" of players that could pull off just about anything, I'd probably push the music too.

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

The question that comes to mind - has the change altered how songs are written and how songs evolve?

yes. this record seems like the most collaborative one yet, reportedly the whole band is coming up with the music and the lyrics are more spontaneous where before they were written, jeff would figure out a song, and wilco would play around with it.

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

wilco_a_ghost_is_born.jpg

With the caliber of the current line-up

Flattered as I am that you think so, I'm really not that close to the band.

good grief....

ANYONE CHECKED aHA'S LYRIC WEBSITE?

gOSH AND GOLLY....

wHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

sWEET SASSY MOLASSEY....

Sub par or not sub par, I still listen to the new songs more than anything else....basically on constant repeat.

But, there in lies the rub of Wilco. I have to say the songs I hate the most in the beginning always end up my favorites down the road.

yes. this record seems like the most collaborative one yet, reportedly the whole band is coming up with the music and the lyrics are more spontaneous where before they were written, jeff would figure out a song, and wilco would play around with it.

I think this alone is a sign of hope for a good album. Whether or not one likes the album, something done with full collaboration and equality between all members with a good line of communication will likely produce better results than, say, Tweedy and Bennett fighting about the segway into Heavy Metal Drummer.

dun dun chh da dun dun chh da dun dun chh............................

This is the new one their calling Spiders or something!

Check it out!!!!!!!

I was listening to "What Light" last night, and for some odd reason, I was thinking that Bono would cover this song. Then I imagined him singing it, and I got angry. So Jeff, don't let Bono sing "What Light." please. It's too good for that. (no offense, Bono).

I was thinking more along the lines of Neil Diamond.

:yes

Thank you oceanman. I said this when they first started playing this, but didn't get much of a response. I can hardly listen to this song because all I hear is Neil Diamond.

I'm not a superfan or anything, but didn't a lot of tracks from previous albums change lyrically from their live debuts once they were put on wax? Some of the best tunes lyrically on Ghost were amalgamations of different pieces of his poetry.

If history repeats itself, what you're listening to now may not be what hits the shelves.

Isn't Neil Diamond cool?? Didn't Rick Rubin just work with him??

LouieB

You could say that. I actually like Neil Diamond. I just don't want to hear him when I am listening to Wilco.

On the boats and on the planes

They're coming to America

Never looking back again

Home, don't it seem so far away

Oh, we're travelling light today

In the eye of the storm

In the eye of the storm

Home, to a new and a shiny place

Make our bed, and we'll say our grace

Freedom's light burning warm

Freedom's light burning warm

Everywhere around the world

Every time that flag's unfurled

:yes

Thank you oceanman. I said this when they first started playing this, but didn't get much of a response. I can hardly listen to this song because all I hear is Neil Diamond.

:cheers

Are you available for parties?

It depends :monkey

Isn't Neil Diamond cool?? Didn't Rick Rubin just work with him??

LouieB

Everytime I hear Dry Your Eyes.............................OMG

A weeping little baby. :wub

I paid the iTunes 99 cent for "Holly Holy."

I'm old. I believe in paying for things.