After a round table discussion on Tweedy's lyrics and how emotional health affects our art, I am just curious, who of you are, or at one time were, or are spiring to be songwriters? Especially you notorious frequent posters. Not to ask who is a serious artist, or makes quality things, but just who does it. I have been really curious (and I remember Tweedy talking about this in an interview) as to where all of the traits of super fan, and musician intersect. I myself am both but I am not sure if I am one more than the other.

I've been writing lyrics, music and various unstable combinations of both for about 15-20 years now. Lately just haven't had the time needed to devote to it. I find writing lyrics alone or music alone to be fairly effortless, but am sorely lacking in the ability to merge the two. Which is what really makes me admire sometime like Jeff who can create such perfect lyric-lines over his melodies...

I write a lot of songs/music/etc. Typically just pen, paper and guitar which then gets elaborated on when I set foot on recording. I think it's definately noteworthy to mention I have found great differences in songs that were written at various stages of emotional being - losing a girlfriend, being drunk/high, sleepy, awake, location, even proximity to other people. I don't think it's something that I can put a finger on in my work. By that I mean I don't have a set way that I've found in producing "better" material. Some songs are happy, some dark, some serious, some are "throw aways." It's kind of like being "on" when playing a sport or something. Not exactly explainable in my experience. I wonder how much stuff Jeff writes would not be considered "such perfect lyric lines" by us as the fans....I guess a shorter answer would have been, yes I do it.

Yes I do it.

Sometimes.

Hopefully more focused and serious about it sometime in the future. One song (or at least the lyrics) finally made it on to a CD by a Louisville band.

Yeah, I do it too.

The Martial Arts

If you're wondering why we have a song called 'Summer Tweed', it was a working title that got out of hand (Teenage Fanclub are often guilty of this). The very rough demo was a bit 'Always In Love' (or so I thought), but it came out more Big Star-meets-Bowie in the end - so I claim.

been writing with my friend Margo May. The production and instruments arent anything exciting yet, but we've just been putting down a lot of ideas so far.

www.myspace.com/honeybabetunes

been writing with my friend Margo May. The production and instruments arent anything exciting yet, but we've just been putting down a lot of ideas so far.

All The Highways should be on the radio and TV right now. Or someday. I love that song. You guys really nailed something there, together. :cheers

Yeah, I write songs....I've got maybe 40-50 that I would consider 'finished' and dozens of throwaways and/or parts of songs.

My bands first CD comes out in September. Western Fifth

It's a 6 song EP, recored in a day and a half. We've started tracking on a couple songs for our second album, and have recorded demos for maybe 40 or so songs.

I also have about 20 songs registered with ASCAP

I've been writing lyrics, music and various unstable combinations of both for about 15-20 years now. Lately just haven't had the time needed to devote to it. I find writing lyrics alone or music alone to be fairly effortless, but am sorely lacking in the ability to merge the two. Which is what really makes me admire sometime like Jeff who can create such perfect lyric-lines over his melodies...

This describes me to a T (except I've been writing songs a little longer).

I can do the lyrics, I can create a melody to go with them, but I have NO FREAKING CLUE what to put behind it.

I write a lot of music and have been playing in bands for many years. I once gave Tweedy one of del mar's CD's....I'm sure he never listened to it. :(

Check the post signature for the website. You can also buy our latest CD on iTunes.

Edited by delmarkurt
This describes me to a T (except I've been writing songs a little longer).

I can do the lyrics, I can create a melody to go with them, but I have NO FREAKING CLUE what to put behind it.

that's funny, I can put together chord progressions OK but not so great at melodies and really suck at lyrics

For my boyfriends birthday I made him a song using garageband. Since there aren't any lyrics I decided to use an interview with his favourite band (Gomez). I mashed pieces of the interview together so it made it sound like they were talking about him, they happened to be talking about some guy with the same name as my b/f. He loved it. Now I'm hooked. Next I'm doing one with clips of Anton Newcombe from the Brian Jonestown Massacre talking..then a Henry Rollins spoken word.

Very good stuff, you. And I now have a secret crush on that girl that looks like she's thirteen. Is she thirteen? I don't want to feel dirty. :hmm

For my boyfriends birthday I made him a song using garageband. Since there aren't any lyrics I decided to use an interview with his favourite band (Gomez). I mashed pieces of the interview together so it made it sound like they were talking about him, they happened to be talking about some guy with the same name as my b/f. He loved it. Now I'm hooked. Next I'm doing one with clips of Anton Newcombe from the Brian Jonestown Massacre talking..then a Henry Rollins spoken word.

That sounds pretty cool...

Very good stuff, you. And I now have a secret crush on that girl that looks like she's thirteen. Is she thirteen? I don't want to feel dirty. :hmm

She is actually 21.