Any other fans of the early 80s shows out there?

You bet,Mr. H! My 1st was in '81 as well,and after the '72-'74 period,I'd have to say that '79-'83 (or even '84) is my 2nd favorite time.

Scott

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Beauty and Workingman's are defintely the best studio records. I recently listened to AOXOMOXA for the first time in nearly a decade and absolutley fell in love with it. MARS HOTEL is really good as well.

For live stuff you can't go wrong with LIVE DEAD or Europe '72, but I highly reccomend RECKONING, from their acoustic sets 1980.

My favorite years for lives shows are 74, 77-81 (1980, Alaska, Black Peter>Not Fade Away!!!) and 89-92 (especially anything that Bruce Hornsby is playing on).

And of course, you can never go wrong with anything by the Jerry Garcia Band or Garcia and Grisman.

And just to say that i just read about Vince Welnick's suicide and how he killed himself, and its so sad. I never liked him all that much as a player, but did jam with him on Jerry's birthday last year and he was really a sweet man. A damn shame.

I think these may be my favorite commercial live releases outside of Bear's Choice, Europe 72, Dick's Picks etc.:

Fillmore East: April 1971

Hundred Year Hall: 4-26-72

Two From the Vault

Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72

:thumbup

"Steppin' Out" is especially good IMO.

Another mistery to me -

Whatever happened to Dan Healy? The One/Two From The Vault was to be the way they were going to put out stuff at one time - I have always wondered what happened to him.

Holy smokes!!!

I got that used for like 10 bucks - it's the original cd pressing too - with the reel to reel tape box looking cover.

Another mistery to me -

Whatever happened to Dan Healy? The One/Two From The Vault was to be the way they were going to put out stuff at one time - I have always wondered what happened to him.

Healy was "let go" from being the Dead's soundman in early '94. It was pretty well-regarded that Weir detested Healy fucking with his vocals on certain tunes and that Weir thought he was trying to sabotage his tunes in concert. John Cutler took over for the remainder of the shows until JG died.

Healy was "let go" from being the Dead's soundman in early '94. It was pretty well-regarded that Weir detested Healy fucking with his vocals on certain tunes and that Weir thought he was trying to sabotage his tunes in concert. John Cutler took over for the remainder of the shows until JG died.

Cutler never really seemed to be able to get it right either.

Healy's departure was certainly an example that all was not well in GD land.Phil's book explains some of the story but that particular incident was very depressing I thought.

Healy is one of the big reasons why live "bootleg" sharing (non-profit) is so prevalent today :worship

Scott

His trip was matrix tapes, right?

Yeah,he was kind of a pioneer there,but as far as HQ sbds leaking out,people like him & Dick Latvala (after he hired on in '84 or so) were the reason folks like myself didn't have to suffer through poorly recorded AUD tapes of some magic shows.

They only played in WV twice - once right here in 1983 (I think) and in Huntington in 1977 (the newspaper reports after this show are hilarious). I was lucky that I snagged the soundboards before they put the lock on them via the internet archive.

I think Huntington was 4/16/78.....a wonderful Scar-Fire that night :music The GD ,for whatever reason weren't really too concerned with the archives during the early Brent years & it's only because of Healy that there's any significant shows that are in the Vault from then (a damn shame,as that's some really jazzy stuff )

Scott

I am getting my dates mixed up. :punch

I actually never saw the GD.

I only remember shit like that cause I'm insane :cheers (functionally,hopefully)

Yeah,he was kind of a pioneer there,but as far as HQ sbds leaking out,people like him & Dick Latvala (after he hired on in '84 or so) were the reason folks like myself didn't have to suffer through poorly recorded AUD tapes of some magic shows.

Yeah, Healy was really fan-friendly when it came to sharing the recordings, as well as allowing folks to patch-in to the soundboard, particularly prior to him spear-heading the "official" allowance of recording shows in '84. I believe the GD were the first touring band to sanction and sell "taper" tix and reserve a taper section for such purposes (originally directly in front of the board, IIRC, and soon moved to directly behind the board). This all in no small part due to Healy's connection to the fans.

(mountain bed: cd's were sent off today)

I am getting my dates mixed up. :punch

I actually never saw the GD.

Really? Wow. I don't even like them that much and I saw them three times.

I got on the bus in 1980.

I forgot to get off at the last stop.

Nice to see others are still riding too.

The album that got me was

Skull in Roses (skull fuck)

Wharf Rat

and NFA>GDTRFB .

The Other One (that did it.)

Good bootleg years that I really enjoy

are 1977 & 78.

But there are gems and nuggets sprinkled through-out

the mine. "Jez gotta poke around."

I did not see any hits for Terrapin Station.

(or is that too hard core?)

If you're into the bit torrent thing, there are a ton of great soundboards out there (bt.etree). Find out what you like for yourself. I'll agree that live is far better than studio with American Beauty and Workingmans as exceptions. I find I keep going back to the spring '77 shows, partly because the sound is so great for the most part.

I find I keep going back to the spring '77 shows, partly because the sound is so great for the most part.

Not to mention everything seemed to be really jibing with the band then. The shows were generally exceptionally well played. The sound on the tapes from these years were exceptional, but had the shows not been so professionally and heart-felt played, I'm not sure they'd continue to receive the deserved kudos they appropriately receive. You really can't go wrong with selections from this era.