Thanks for the info! I think it's the jam band stuff that has really turned me off in the past. Believe me, I've tried to get into jam bands and just cannot. I think I might get to the music store this weekend and pick up American Beauty and Europe '72. If it's of any assistance I like the song, Ripple. :)

In that case you might want to start with "Reckoning" instead...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should appreciating a band be this difficult?

I think the point is that a poster has said he/she'd like to try out a band, and when it's a band with a catalogue as voluminous as the dead's, I don't see any downside to asking for others' advice, so that one doesn't waste one's time or money on things one knows one won't care for. I'm not sensing any difficulty in the process. ?

I think the point is that a poster has said he/she'd like to try out a band, and when it's a band with a catalogue as voluminous as the dead's, I don't see any downside to asking for others' advice, so that one doesn't waste one's time or money on things one knows one won't care for. I'm not sensing any difficulty in the process. ?

I'm certainly not attempting to be smug or contrarian, it just seemed to me it shouldn't have to be a process to go through to like any particular band. I realize the body of work is vast with the GD and the poster was soliciting advise....it just seemed to me as if it was a little forced. My bad.

I'm certainly not attempting to be smug or contrarian, it just seemed to me it shouldn't have to be a process to go through to like any particular band. I realize the body of work is vast with the GD and the poster was soliciting advise....it just seemed to me as if it was a little forced. My bad.

It's an interesting question you pose, though, as far as the process of "discovering" a band.

In many ways I wish someone had grabbed me and put Wilco in my face long before I eventually found them through friends and/or on my own, but at the same time I doubt I'd appreciate them the way I do, having gone through albums, concerts, phases and live downloads, etc. (and of course this wonderful forum :D )

which related questions I think I shall pose in another thread, so as not to veer this one off course...

The majority of previous dislike/inability to appreciate GD came from a person whom I did not care for that constantly blabbered about them. Not the best reason to not listen to a band, but my reason. It seems like many others around here really like GD, and I hold fellow VCers as people who have decent musical taste and also cite GD as influences on Wilco and other bands I listen to. Thus, I thought I would give them a try. That's all. In looking at their available recordings on itunes I was overwhelmed. Sometimes I might not (directly) like a band's music, but like how it was produced, tones they used, etc and enjoy them for that reason. But I understand your point of not having/forcing myself to get into a certain band just because. :cheers
The majority of previous dislike/inability to appreciate GD came from a person whom I did not care for that constantly blabbered about them. Not the best reason to not listen to a band, but my reason. It seems like many others around here really like GD, and I hold fellow VCers as people who have decent musical taste and also cite GD as influences on Wilco and other bands I listen to. Thus, I thought I would give them a try. That's all. In looking at their available recordings on itunes I was overwhelmed. Sometimes I might not (directly) like a band's music, but like how it was produced, tones they used, etc and enjoy them for that reason. But I understand your point of not having/forcing myself to get into a certain band just because. :cheers

And again, it really is an enormous catalogue of music with the GD. As has previously been mentioned, it depends on what your interests are with them. Their music varies widely, from lullaby-ballads to country-western to swing to flat-out balls-out rock.

I don't know if the post WB stuff is out separate from the boxset now, but the WB stuff if. Make sure you get the remastered versions.

I think these may be my favorite commercial live releases outside of Bear's Choice, Europe 72, Dick's Picks etc.:

Fillmore East: April 1971

Hundred Year Hall: 4-26-72

Two From the Vault

Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72

True enough so...if your looking for stuff that may vaugely resemble Wilco type music check out: Workingman's Dead, and American Beauty

If you want spacey acid tinged madness check out : Live Dead

If you want jazz influenced music check out: Wake of the Flood

The best stuff truly is live dead (not the album, but "live" recordings) as stated by others here the music you will hear depends on what version of the band at what given time. As a very general guide, from 1966-67 or so you can expect loud and very fast songs (I believe speed was a big part of their lives then). From 1968 through 1969 you will have very exploratory, lysergic, interesting stuff. From about 1970 through 71 it's a mix. They were still doing the spacey stuff but started getting into some country, blues territory. 1972 is a flat out great year with way more structured songs and a really nice deep mellow tone (but as evidenced by certain songs i.e "playin in the band", "China-cat", etc they could still go of into deep space)1973 and 74 are very jazz tinged years and are also quite good. Any version of "Eyes of the World" from this period will get yer feet taping. 75 was an off year (didn't play but a handful of shows) 1976...ehhhhh not my favorite year. 1977 is a year a lot of people like. I find it mixed. A lot of good shows but a bit of a "disco dead" sound.

I pretty much don't listen to stuff after 1978 or so. That's not to say there are no good shows from later years it's just not my favorite stuff. Best bet (in my opinion) is stuff from 1968 through 1974.

A good live album that's easy to find in record stores is "Rocking the Rhine". It's a complete show from the Europe 72 tour. It's got a little of everything...country-ish stuff, some serious sonic madness (a great "Playing In The Band" and a killer Darkstar). Give it a whirl. And enjoy. If you don't like it, try some other stuff. :cheers

Should appreciating a band be this difficult?

No, a big part is the sheer history and breadth of their catalog that you can buy. Any number (50+) of officially released live albums (untold countless on the trading market), years of studio discs and many band changes make for a tough place to find an "entry point". Add to that the general stereotype and "hippie aura" of the band and I think many people who would genuinely enjoy their music are stopped from listening to it before they would even start. Even if you never make it through a long Dark Star or grow to like "Live/Dead", the quality of their songwriting is incredible ... something many Wilco fans would really appreciate.

That's why I always recommend Europe '72, since you get the live loose-ness they are famous for, with the added benefit of a young band in good voice with some of their best songs represented. It's like someone new to Miles Davis saying "where do I start?". The number of albums you could by is overwhelming, and when you ask for suggestions you'll get everything from Kind of Blue to Bitches Brew, two opposite sides of the spectrum.

It's great when people start getting into them, as there is great music to be heard. I would love to discover it for the first time all over again :)

man I travelled with the rainbow people when I was 17, on the eve of a "Jerry Tour".......I know of what I speak......kind brother.

Well that's your first problem ;)

'68-'74 are the peak years,but there's gold to be found everywhere.

As far as LPs my 2 favorties are Anthem of the Sun (1968) & Blues for Allah(1975).For starters though,Workingman's & American Beauty are hard to beat,& not difficult to listen to at anytime.Anthem & Allah are for when you've maybe indulged in whatever is your inclination.

Live Dead is the Holy Grail & really is one of the best live LPs of all time,any genre.

Hope you get hooked (especially since I no longer have to worry about getting shut out on tickets :D )

Scott

Like others, I went thru a Dead period and had a bunch of their records (studio and live). Honestly, I always thought the Dead's studio stuff kinda sucked - sorry. The bootlegged and live stuff was where it was at. Sorry, some bands just don't translate well in the studio, and the Dead was one of those bands.

I had American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on a long play cassette (front and back) and practically wore it out. Classic Dead songs.

Edit...

...have always found the dead's studio albums to be an extremely poor reflection of the greatness of much of their material. Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are probably two notable exceptions.

ditto (literally)

Edited by skip

I think Workingmans Dead and American Beauty for an easy start then maybe One from the Vault or a Dick's Picks. There are also some good shows streaming on archives.org. I really have been missing Jerry this summer...so many years later and that sound from his guitar still gives me goose bumps. It's fun to listen to the early stuff then check out the later years with the crazy MIDI stuff...have fun.

In that case you might want to start with "Reckoning" instead...

I'll admit I've barely scratched the surface of the Dead catalog...I own about 5 or 6 albums, but the ones that I love have already been mentioned. Europe '72 and Reckoning are great (esp Reckoning...even people that hate the Grateful Dead have been impressed by this one when I play it for them!) American Beauty is somewhat inferior, but still pretty good.

I also have to recommend Old & In The Way, Jerry's (and David Grisman's) bluegrass band.

I took a couple suggestions and just got Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. Got some good beer too....gonna make a fine weekend. :cheers Thanks for all the input.

"One way or another, this darkness got to give..."

Enjoy!

For a number of reasons, I have never been able to get into the Dead. However, I think it may be time to try again. Where should I start?

I'm not going to read what everybody else has written, but for my money, the only Dead worth listening to is live stuff from like 1969 to the mid-70s. Europe 72 is a great album as is the 4-disc one they put out a few years back of an early 70s London show. I don't have a hell of a lot of use for studio Dead.

Yellow Dog joke included

Ya gotta give a guy his due when he continually tells a joke that nobody laughs at...Say & have ya heard the one about the guy with the bee collection? :P

Scott

I think Workingman's and American Beauty are fine places to start, and if they spark more interest, I'd go to the Live Dead and Europe '72 records.

A-Man makes a good point: it's cheaper to get the whole 12-CD Golden Road box. But I guess not many people would do that right out of the gate.

I realize we're talking mainly about typical official releases here, but I'm surprised to see so little love for the "Brent" years, especially 79-83 (a period that includes Reckoning). That was when I saw most of my Dead shows, and I've downloaded a shitload of shows from archive.org that are just great. It's hit-or-miss, of course, but that was true in virtually every era of the Dead ... even '72, thanks to the infamous "Donna Caterwaul."

Any other fans of the early 80s shows out there?

I have this DP - which is early in the Brent days:

Volume 5: Oakland Auditorium Arena 12/26/79

Disc: 1

1. Cold Rain & Snow

2. C.C. Rider

3. Dire Wolf

4. Me & My Uncle

5. Big River

6. Brown Eyed Women

7. New Minglewood Blues

8. Friend Of The Devil

9. Looks Like Rain

10. Alabama Getaway

11. Promised Land

Disc: 2

1. Uncle John's Band

2. Estimated Prophet

3. Jam 1

4. He's Gone

5. The Other One

6. Drums

Disc: 3

1. Drums

2. Jam 2

3. Not Fade Away

4. Brokedown Palace

5. Around & Around

6. Johnny B. Goode

7. Shakedown Street

8. Uncle John's Band

Any other fans of the early 80s shows out there?

Sure. I started seeing shows in '81 and am a big Brent fan. I am particularly partial to '83. Lots of very solid shows and only a few duds in my opinion.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Aug 11 2006, 02:09 PM)

American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are really the only 2 essentials, IMO. I've listened to the GD since 85 and those are the only 2 studio albums I've actually ever made it through.

Great albums and the best of the studio stuff. Live Europe is great too. The rest...well proceed with caution or proceed with abandon, it is all pretty much the same.

LouieB