• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a big, vast catalog of live albums that can be overwhelming. They span so many years and a few different configurations of the band that you can get drastically different sounds as you delve into them.

I would start with American Beauty and Europe '72 - roughly the same time period, one studio and one live (albeit doctored a bit). Both will give you a good base of exposure to their songwriting side and the second disc of Europe '72 will give you a good intro to their improvisational prowess.

Have fun!

I would start with American Beauty and Europe '72 - roughly the same time period, one studio and one live (albeit doctored a bit). Both will give you a good base of exposure to their songwriting side and the second disc of Europe '72 will give you a good intro to their improvisational prowess.

:yes

The remasters of these classic albums are essential, with lots of great bonus material.

it's okay.....we are here.......stop now, turn around......head for the door.

No, trust me kind brother.....you don't want... no really......

It will be okay.

Whew, another Dead intervention......

Crisis averted.

:P

it's okay.....we are here.......stop now, turn around......head for the door.

No, trust me kind brother.....you don't want... no really......

It will be okay.

Whew, another Dead intervention......

Crisis averted.

:P

Snob :angry

man I travelled with the rainbow people when I was 17, on the eve of a "Jerry Tour".......I know of what I speak......kind brother.

I was only being silly anyway...... hence the " :P "

It's all good...was being silly myself........was that your kid just ringing my doorbell?

I'd just buy the Warner Brothers box and be done with it. I don't really care of anything after that - maybe Wake of The Flood. Of course, you can get all the post Warner Brothers stuff in a nifty boxset now also.

just to throw $.02 in here,

I have always found the dead's studio albums to be an extremely poor reflection of the greatness of much of their material. Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are probably two notable exceptions. Most of the other albums sound like someone was playing a practical joke on the dead, engineering/recording/mixing/mastering-wise.

A lot of what you "should" try out depends on which Grateful Dead you want to hear. (disclaimer: I am no expert on the dead, just giving one guy's opinion). Some of their stuff is very down-to-earth, folksy, even country/bluegrass-tinged, some of it is spatial, electric and as "jamband"-ish as jamband can get.

I think Europe 72 and Reckoning are great starting-place recommendations. I also really enjoyed Hundred Year Hall and One From the Vault, when I first started listening...

Once you find a period or sound that you really like, then torrents and/or the dick's picks series will provide as much or little as you like.

--Neil

American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are really the only 2 essentials, IMO. I've listened to the GD since 85 and those are the only 2 studio albums I've actually ever made it through.

The real meat n potatos is the live stuff anyways.

I'll second A-man's Wake of the Flood and all those offering WD and AB. But it really depends on what you like. There's some really, really good stuff on a lot of the Dead's albums (none of which I can really listen to much anymore), but it's a crapshoot if we don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info! I think it's the jam band stuff that has really turned me off in the past. Believe me, I've tried to get into jam bands and just cannot. I think I might get to the music store this weekend and pick up American Beauty and Europe '72. If it's of any assistance I like the song, Ripple. :)